You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-12 11:26:21

mtrivs

Pacman suggestion

I dont know what exactly it would take to get this to work, and it is just a suggestion, but i think it would be easier to display any warnings in advance, so that the user can decide if they want to install the package or not.  For example: if i type

pacman -Syu 

and it tells me there is a kernel upgrade, but along with the new kernel you have to use new initscripts (just an example) and i would have to re-input all the information in the initcripts all over again, but dont know this until it is intalling the package.  So wouldnt it be easier if after typing

pacman -Syu

it displayed this warning somehow and then asked me if i still wanted to upgrade?  It is just my opinion/suggestion that it should, but then again i may have been using windows too long!!  lol

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
-1.5GB RAM
-128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X200m
-80GB 5400RPM HD
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/scarface/recenttracks/mtrivs.gif[/img]

#2 2006-02-12 11:50:36

arooaroo
Website

Re: Pacman suggestion

mtrivs wrote:

I dont know what exactly it would take to get this to work, and it is just a suggestion, but i think it would be easier to display any warnings in advance, so that the user can decide if they want to install the package or not.  For example: if i type

pacman -Syu 

and it tells me there is a kernel upgrade, but along with the new kernel you have to use new initscripts (just an example) and i would have to re-input all the information in the initcripts all over again, but dont know this until it is intalling the package.  So wouldnt it be easier if after typing

pacman -Syu

it displayed this warning somehow and then asked me if i still wanted to upgrade?  It is just my opinion/suggestion that it should, but then again i may have been using windows too long!!  lol

Pacman doesn't overwrite important system files any more if they've been edited. Or at least that's my understanding. If I'm wrong, then you can always  use the NoUpgrade setting in pacman.conf, eg.,

NoUpgrade   = /etc/rc.conf etc/rc.local

Also, Pacman does show you want it is about to install and if you wish to proceed. If you see the kernel package, then you could press N and redo the pacman -Syu --IgnorePkg kernel26, for example, or just put IgnorePkg = kernel26 in your pacman.conf to stop it updating your kernel until you're ready. (of course, you can specify as many packages as you want here.)

#3 2006-02-12 11:56:28

mtrivs

Re: Pacman suggestion

I was just using that as an example, but i was reffering more toward the warning with the new Udev upgrade.  It didnt show me the warning message until i was installing it, that is the type of information i would like to have before updating......Thanks for the additional info too! lol

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
-1.5GB RAM
-128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X200m
-80GB 5400RPM HD
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/scarface/recenttracks/mtrivs.gif[/img]

Board footer