You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-25 07:10:00

axemarauder

On kernel improvements

I was recently in a discussion with my father concerning the history of operating systems.  He's of the opinion that while hardware has improved, OS kernels have functionally stagnated since around DOS, and programs have become more bloated.  I'm wondering what sort of changes/improvements have been made to operating systems since the 90s, disregarding accommodation of new hardware (e.g. HDMI support) and desktop environments/eye-candy.  I haven't been able to find anything useful about this online and everything discusses seemingly superficial changes.

#2 2014-05-25 08:59:34

Blµb

Re: On kernel improvements

cgroups, namespaces, => linux containers, virtualization, SMP should probably be on that list too at least if the kernel-internal I/O can make use of that, lots of networking stuff, cryptography (support for encrypted disks including encrypted root filesystem), network filesystems, DAC/MAC, ...

Other than that people probably just never had any good ideas tongue
Then again some people thought of adding a search/query method to the **filesystem** implementations so their data-structure can be used to search for files by name/attributes specifically. But this only happened in haiku-os as far as I can tell, it's far too awesome to be added to linux tongue

Last edited by Blµb (2014-05-25 09:01:04)

You know you're paranoid when you start thinking random letters while typing a password.
A good post about vim
Python has no multithreading.

#3 2014-05-25 09:13:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Board footer