You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-11 21:43:00

mac57
Website

banshee and mono

I know I saw a thread in here somewhere today talking about music players that look like iTunes, but for the life of me, I can't find it again. So, I am starting a fresh one with a title that goes right to the question.

Banshee looks very interesting, but it appears to need mono. I see that we have a package "mono" in the repository. Is it as simple as installing this package and then Banshee, or does Banshee (since it seems to be a Gnome component) require a bunch of other stuff? If one installs mono, does this impose extra overhead on the system? I've never really been clear on what .NET and mono are fundamentally providing. Thanks.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#2 2006-02-11 21:49:35

Moparx
Website

Re: banshee and mono

it requires gnome and some other packages

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found.
        "This is it... this is where I belong..."

Arch Linux x86_64 | LiCo #213644 | blog / configs

#3 2006-02-12 18:07:03

mac57
Website

Re: banshee and mono

Actually, it requires a LOT of other packages. I tried it, realizing that I could just say "No" if pacman presented a list of dependencies that I found too large. "Large" would be an understatement! It pulled in what looked to me like most of Gnome. I said "No" and got serious about getting and installing wxMusik after that.

I have played around with wxMusik quite a bit now. It is quite nice. Unfortunately, while it did import my iTunes database, it seems to have missed all of my "home grown" iTunes playlists, and the odd song here and there, where I had "one ofs" by a particular artist. Still and all, it is quite a nice package. I would recommend trying it.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

Board footer