You are not logged in.

#26 2014-04-17 18:40:24

Lockheed

Re: CMST - A Connman GUI front end with system tray icon

I wonder if this is issue of connman itself, but I noticed that the list of available wifi networks it displays is very limited. In Wicd, I get ~8-10, while CMST can only see 1 - 3 tops.

Last edited by Lockheed (2014-04-17 18:42:37)

#27 2014-04-18 01:47:52

ajbibb

That would be my guess.  From the Connman documentation you may have seen this:

Due to limited screen size of small devices and the big amount of WiFi access points that are deployed right now it might be sensible to not show certain WiFi networks in the user interface.
The choice to hide a WiFi network from the user interface should be purely done by the signal strength. The optimal cut-off value here still has to be determined, but in the end that is a user interface policy.

When I wrote the program I did not limit the connections shown in the UI as suggested above as I was planning to use it on a desktop, or worst case a laptop.  Whatever service Connman reports as a available is shown in the program.  You can also check from the Connman command line interface.

The following quote about wifi grouping might also apply to your situation:

In addition to WiFi naming, WiFi networks are subject to a grouping policy performed around SSID and security type. This means that one service will be seen for N WiFi networks providing the same SSID and the same security method. For instance, if 5 APs are servicing an SSID called "TEST" with WPA2 authentication and 3 APs are servicing the same SSID with open authentication method, the user will see only two services listed with the name "TEST" differentiated by their security type, which are "psk" and "none".

#28 2014-05-29 01:52:23

gothmog123

There's one small issue - I'm using i3 wm and every time cmst starts, the first launch is a blank window and a freeze. After killing it it all subsequent starts are successful.

BTW I tested the icon theme switch and it's working great. Sorry it took so long.

Last edited by gothmog123 (2014-05-29 02:00:24)

#29 2014-05-30 00:59:32

ajbibb

I can't tell you how glad I am that you reported that using the system theme icons is working.   Over on the github page one person that has tried it cannot get it to work so I was really beginning to think the code did not work.  Can I ask, what utility are you using to set the system theme icons?

I am also on i3 and I was getting the blank window.  I've added a forced 1/2 second wait before starting the system tray icon up and that seems to have stopped it.  Thought I could do it with a 1/4 second delay, but it froze on me after about 8 restarts so I increased the time to 1/2 second.  Will take some time before I'm positive that was the culprit.  The raw code is now in github, or if you would rather wait until I update the AUR package try starting the program with switches: -w 1 (that is letter w, space, numeral one). 

There is a lot of new stuff we're working on that is in git (settings for GUI options are saved and can be read and used if you so choose, much better behavior with scroll bars appearing when necessary, and vastly improved response when you toggle a technology on or off).  I had hoped to update the AUR package this weekend, but I think now that may be a bit ambitious and it will probably be another week.

#30 2014-05-30 04:17:30

gothmog123

ajbibb wrote:

I can't tell you how glad I am that you reported that using the system theme icons is working.   Over on the github page one person that has tried it cannot get it to work so I was really beginning to think the code did not work.  Can I ask, what utility are you using to set the system theme icons?

Because AFAIK theming qt natively without KDE is impossible, you have to use gtk. So I've set DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome  and QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk. The former is needed for the icons theme to be picked up.

The blank window problem is still there, even with -w 1 -d. Is it only i3? Maybe I should use openbox or something.

Git stuff sounds cool.

Last edited by gothmog123 (2014-05-30 04:45:04)

#31 2014-05-30 12:37:04

ajbibb

Thanks for the tips on the icon theme.

How exactly are you starting CMST?  Since I'm using i3 I'd like to try the exact commands and see if I can reproduce it.  Hopefully it is not from the command line after i3 is open because that now seems to be working just fine for me.

#32 2014-05-30 13:26:39

gothmog123

ajbibb wrote:

Thanks for the tips on the icon theme.

How exactly are you starting CMST?  Since I'm using i3 I'd like to try the exact commands and see if I can reproduce it.  Hopefully it is not from the command line after i3 is open because that now seems to be working just fine for me.

Just a regular i3 keybinding. Yeah, starting from command line, it never freezes. X is saying something about a violated xembed protocol, I don't know if that means anything.

#33 2014-05-30 23:35:12

ajbibb

I'm sorry but I can't duplicate it with the keybind.  I've tried bindings with both my current (git) version, and with the 5/10/14 version which is most recent in the AUR.  I've also tried starting with and without --no-startup-id after the exec and it did not make a difference.

Is this new behavior you are noticing?

#34 2014-05-31 00:51:17

gothmog123

It has something to do with i3 (I just switched to it). Openbox works fine. Maybe xcb is the culprit?

Yeah so terminal launch also works and launching it minimized also fixes the freeze.

Sorry to nitpick, just one more thing. The tray icon background is not transparent. Neither in OB or i3.

Last edited by gothmog123 (2014-05-31 10:40:33)

#35 2014-05-31 22:34:18

ajbibb

Never noticed the background as my tray background is close to black.  Trying to figure it out and came across this bug:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q … 0277,d.cWc
Does this appear to be what you are seeing?

#36 2014-06-01 03:37:51

gothmog123

Yeah. Damn, so it's an upstream bug...

#37 2014-06-21 06:33:59

hobarrera
Website

I love the UI, it's great. I've always hated NetworkManager's UI, which is awful.

I nice plus (dunno if it's connman or cmst that does this), is that IPv6-only networks work out-of-the-box. NM had stupid setting "require IPv4" checked by default, which needed to be altered for every IPv6 network.
CMST "just works" by default.

I really like being able to see all the details for all the networks too. That's really nice! I'll test with with WPA+802.1X next week at my university and send you some feedback on that.

There are two small things that annoy me:
* The system tray does not show an icon, just the empty space, and cmst shows when I click that space. Maybe you're assuming that some icon exists?
* I'm getting Windows-XP-style bubble notifications, instead of ... well, instead of libnotify being used. Maybe there's some knob on Qt that needs to be pulled for it to use the proper notification backend? The tooltips also look like WindowsXP (eg: color and appearance-wise.

Oh, once every while, the UI appears blank (just a frame and whatever's behind it appear inside the frame) for several (>10) seconds before the UI is drawn.

Edit:
I also like the fact that it's MIT licensed! big_smile

Edit 2:
Qt uses WindowsXP-style notifications and it seems there's not way around that. I've submited a patch to get around that using libnotify. It does add an extra dependency, but I feel most users most likely have libnotify installed for some program or another (am I mistaken?).

Last edited by hobarrera (2014-06-21 08:13:58)

#38 2014-06-21 07:09:37

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I have cmst with tray icon working in qtpanel under Openbox. Did have to add wait option (5 seconds)

Thanks again for your help and a great project, nm free at last!

Mr Green

#39 2014-06-21 21:21:58

ajbibb

hobarrera wrote:

Qt uses WindowsXP-style notifications and it seems there's not way around that. I've submited a patch to get around that using libnotify. It does add an extra dependency, but I feel most users most likely have libnotify installed for some program or another (am I mistaken?).

Thank you for the pull, I've responded in the thread in github.  Right now there is no way around it, but the QT notifications are really just an intermediate step.  My intention is to have an internal notify class that will work with the notification server.  I've looked at the freedesktop notification specification and it looks much simpler than the connman one, so I think I can do it.  I don't believe I have libnotify installed, it is an optional dependency on one program I use, but I've not actually done a pacman -Q to see if if do have it.  That is my fallback, but my first try will be to do the home grown thing and avoid the dependency.

I appreciate the comments and the fact that you like it, but the "it just works" is completely connman, not anything I've done.  All I'm doing is providing a GUI between the user and the daemon.  There have been some reported problems with WPA+802.1X university connections.  Last one could not get it working even using the built in connmanctl command line interface, so we kind of figured it was a connman thing.

#40 2014-06-23 02:30:03

hobarrera
Website

ajbibb wrote:

I appreciate the comments and the fact that you like it, but the "it just works" is completely connman, not anything I've done.  All I'm doing is providing a GUI between the user and the daemon.  There have been some reported problems with WPA+802.1X university connections.  Last one could not get it working even using the built in connmanctl command line interface, so we kind of figured it was a connman thing.

Well, you did pick connman over nm as a backend, so there's that done right. wink Also, nm-applet just has bad defaults, which I see you've avoided.

I'll see if I can visit my university this week and can provide some feedback on WPA+802.1X.

#41 2014-07-03 00:07:20

gothmog123

I went back to xfce panel (lol), and there's this qt5 bug with old style system trays. Icon just doesn't show up. Is there any workaround?

#42 2014-07-03 16:19:23

ajbibb

I'll need to look at the specs for the xfce panel, but a question first.  Did you get a popup dialog about not being able to find a system tray?  That happens a lot when CMST is started automatically at boot up.  If you did the solution is to utilize the -w switch, and specify a 5 or 10 second wait time (-w 5 or -w 10).

I'll try to find something out about the xfce panel as well, never used it myself.

#43 2014-07-04 03:28:13

gothmog123

ajbibb wrote:

I'll need to look at the specs for the xfce panel, but a question first.  Did you get a popup dialog about not being able to find a system tray?  That happens a lot when CMST is started automatically at boot up.  If you did the solution is to utilize the -w switch, and specify a 5 or 10 second wait time (-w 5 or -w 10).

I'll try to find something out about the xfce panel as well, never used it myself.

Thanks. I'm not launching it at boot. It's an old style system tray. qt5 uses newer stuff for system tray. I think.

#44 2014-07-05 00:43:00

ajbibb

Found one bug report about QT5 systemtray icons not working in xfce panel.  It was dated June of this year so it is fairly current. 

I'm afraid I've got no other ideas.  In reading developer comments (I think QT developers) I'm sensing that they think that everybody and their brother is coming up with their own way of of implementing system trays and ignoring the "standards".

#45 2014-07-08 15:34:13

ajbibb

Note to any users.  If you have a P2P technology showing up in your services list CMST will not properly toggle the power on and off to the technology that controls that service.  Based on feedback that I am getting if you leave the state of the controlling technology alone you should be fine.

The P2P was added in April and I've not yet caught up with it.  We are working towards implementing the feature and I'll post here and update the AUR package as soon as it is ready.

#46 2014-07-09 09:42:14

sekret

Hi! Yesterday I switched back from pure wpa_supplicant + dhclient to connman, because I had issues with it that didn't occur with connman.

I mainly connect to two networks: A simple standard wpa2 network with psk at home and a wpa2 enterprise network at the university. I managed to connect to the standard wpa2 network at home without any problems using cmst, but I have issues with the wpa2 enterprise network.

It's an eduroam network with many service points (if that's relevant). Systemd starts connmand and I launch cmst, go to the wireless tab, select the eduroam network and click "Connect". Now back at home with the standard wpa2 network a new window popped up asking for password etc. But here cmst seems to rescan for networks after I click "Connect".

I managed to get the connection using connman_dmenu-git, which is great except it requires to be run as root other than cmst, so I'd like to use cmst only.

Please tell me how to help you to sort this out!

Last edited by sekret (2014-07-09 09:42:37)

#47 2014-07-11 02:02:52

ajbibb

sekret,

I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you right now.  These eduroam networks are a problem with connman.  I know very little about it (currently), but as I understand you need to manually create the configuration file. Just this week I reopened issue #2 over on the CMST Github which deals with this.  Arch user hobarrera has access to one of these networks and has offered to help supply any information I might need to see what needs to be done.  At a minimum we need an editing facility for these configuration files, which coincidentally is a feature request (issue #19) from Arch user progandy.

Almost wrapped up with the peers issue mentioned above, just waiting on some testing reports to come back in.  Once that is done I'll probably start on these two since they are related.

#48 2014-07-11 06:50:36

sekret

Ok, I'll check out those bugreports (should have done earlier..) and provide any info I can. But I don't think connman isn't capable, the network connection works perfectly fine when I create a profile with connman_dmenu-git.

#49 2014-07-25 21:22:35

nomorewindows

I normally use wicd for connecting to wireless and/or wired networks.  I guess I have something wrong with wpa cause it doesn't work with netctl, wicd or connman.  What is connman/cmst taking for wpa: the psk or the passphrase?  It doesn't seem to take wep either.  My build from yesterday works ok on x86_64, but binary format error on i686.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#50 2014-07-26 02:19:24

ajbibb

Connman will determine what information it needs to complete a connection; psk, passphrase, or a host of other possibilities.  It then sends that list of information needed to an Agent registered with it.  The Agent then presents the query to the user.  CMST has an Agent built in and you should have been presented a dialog requesting the information that Connman determined that it needed.  The only fields active in the dialog are the ones where Connman needs information.   

Not sure what is going on with the i686 build.  I just did a build on that platform from the 7/19 AUR package.  My i686 test system is not up to date (looking like it was from sometime in May), but CMST built and ran fine on it.

Regarding the wireless not working at all, how up to date are you?  At the end of June my wifi went non-functional on me for about a 2 week period.  I upgrade my x86_64 system weekly, and after the upgrade on 7/12 wifi was back.  Personally I think it was the upgrade to linux 3.15.5 that fixed it, but I have no proof.  There was some discussion about this over on our Github page because I was not the only one seeing wierd behavior.  Some people could connect occasionally, I could only occasionally see the wifi connection but could never connect when it did appear. Never could collect enough information to prepare a proper bug report, also I really never could nail down which package was responsible. I had been doing major work on the program so I first thought I'd done something real bad to my Connman configuration.  Then I thought maybe my wifi hardware had gone south.  Took me some time to get to come to the conclusion that it may have been an upgrade that did it.  Reason I suspected the kernel is becuase nothing would work; connmanctl, Connman/CMST, wpa-supplicant.  Anyway a long way of saying if you are not at 3.15.5 I would suggest you try that first.

If you are up to date you might try to connect using the connmanctl command line interface.  If none of the other utilities work I doubt that will, but always worth a try.

Last edited by ajbibb (2014-07-26 02:21:23)

Board footer