You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-14 08:51:44

napoleon

Exactly how does the CK patch improve on stock kernel

I have read that the Ck patchset improves the desktop experience of linux. I have both the Stock and ArchCk installed. I use ArchCk mostly and keep the Stock for backup purposes.

Thing is i don't see any difference betweem the two and i am wondering if the more experienced users can give some specifics. big_smile

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

#2 2006-02-14 09:16:54

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: Exactly how does the CK patch improve on stock kernel

#3 2006-02-14 09:21:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Exactly how does the CK patch improve on stock kernel

CK doesnt 'make your computer faster'. It just improves the experience of using it.

You will find, that under any load, the CK based kernels tend to be more responsive. That's because Con's staricase scheduler is designed to do exactly this, whereas the default kernel scheduler is there to be a jack of all trades, desktops, servers, clusters, routers, whatever.

For example, start copying some files between some partitions, or get a kernel compile going. Heck, start firefox. You will find that under a CK kernel, your system will remain much more responsive than under a vanilla system. It is designed for the desktop.

Staircase is golden, but there are other improvements to CK, like swap prefetching. io scheduler settings and various vm (memory/swap) tweaks.

ArchCK adds onto CK, and just adds fancy features like fbsplash, reiser4 and suspend2 as well as a range of bugfixes and other features.

iphitus

Board footer