You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-10 12:09:00

globalundo

Changing applications' font settings on-the-fly

Hey everybody,
I'm using Arch on the 13.3" laptop (with awesome wm as window manager). Frequently I plug in an 21" external monitor via HDMI cable. Because of this difference all the font I setted up for laptop's screen look enormous on external monitor.
It's easy to change font's sizes by altering a bunch of configs for different types of applications (~/.Xresources, ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine, ~/.config/Trolltech.conf etc.), but the changes wont apply until the X server is restarted. Unfortunately, that means a loss of all the applications running.

Is there a way to reapply gtk, qt configs without restarting applications or without restarting X server?

Thanks.

#2 2014-06-10 14:33:09

xero
Website

Re: Changing applications' font settings on-the-fly

try using lxappearance

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
http://git.io/.files

#3 2014-06-10 16:41:06

ANOKNUSA

Re: Changing applications' font settings on-the-fly

globalundo wrote:

I'm using Arch on the 13.3" laptop (with awesome wm as window manager). Frequently I plug in an 21" external monitor via HDMI cable. Because of this difference all the font I setted up for laptop's screen look enormous on external monitor.

It's the difference in screen resolution that matters, not the difference in screen size. If the external monitor has a lower resolution than  the laptop display, the fonts will appear larger because the same number of pixels occupy a larger physical area (the pixels themselves are bigger). You can use lxappearance like xero suggested, but it changes fonts for everything, so if you use the laptop display and external monitor simultaneously the fonts on the laptop display will be changed as well.

Board footer