You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-14 14:48:41

hypermegachi

network stopped working [SOLVED]

so last night i was trying to install archck (still can't get that thing to work...i think something's screwed up with my vesa)....anywho, i've now run into the problem that my network is gone!

i accidently deleted my grub directory when i was messing around with archck...(i was editing menu.lst so much when i wanted to remove the backup directory i put in grub instead :'()

anyways, i reinstalled grub in the spot and was surprised it didn't auto-generate menu.lst for me.  no prob, i made a basic menu.lst and rebooted the system.  i screwed up my entries, but that was fine cuz i was able to edit it through grub, and i was back up and running (regular custom-compiled kernel).

so today, i fired up my laptop at work and my network no longer works.  i'm using the via_rhine module.  the module is loaded when i use lsmod, but dmesg seems to report a whole bunch of interrupt errors...

does anyone have any ideas that might help me bring my network back?  thanks.

edit: starting/restarting the network will occasionally halt my system and require a hard reboot

edit 2: downgrading to udev83 didn't fix the problem.

#2 2006-02-14 18:43:48

hypermegachi

Re: network stopped working [SOLVED]

it appears that the same thing is happening in ubuntu...the system hangs when i try to activate the network module....

uh...let's see if xp still works sad

#3 2006-02-15 15:07:29

hypermegachi

Re: network stopped working [SOLVED]

after doin some research, i fixed the problem.

running dmesg spat some crap about irq errors and my network irq was getting disabled.

it says something about "nobody cared" and trying to boot with the pollirq option.

well, the pollirq is supposed to be for really screwed up and unstable firmwares....which doesn't make sense because via_rhine is part of the kernel.

further research indicates that acpi was screwing it up.  so putting in acpi=noirq to the grub entry fixed everything.

i'm just confused how arch was trunkin along until 2 days ago which required this fix.

Board footer