You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-14 01:16:19

codemac
Website

[solved] ArchCK boot: /bin/sh: No such file or directory

I am getting some weird errors on my arch install.

I chrooted to my install, mounted tmp, and "pacman -Syu"'d.  I'm using the archck kernel in extra.  Now when I try to boot, I get the following errors:

mount: Mounting none on /proc failed: Device or resource busy.
mknod: /dev/null: File exists.
mount: Mounting /dev/root on /new_root failed: No such device or address
pivot_root: pivot_root: No such file or directory
chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh: No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I really don't know what to do with this.  Any help?  I think it has to do with how I am using mkinitramfs in a chrooted filesystem.  I'm not sure thogh.  And yes, all my paths in configs are right.

#2 2006-02-14 01:31:31

Tebari

Re: [solved] ArchCK boot: /bin/sh: No such file or directory

Ok, it seems that your initramfs image doesn't contain all the necesary modules to access your boot partition. To boot, use

mkinitramfs full

to create an image with all the modules, it should be named initramfs26-full.img or something similar. Configure your bootloader accordingly. It shoudl boot.

After that you should tweak your mkinitramfs.conf file so it includes only the modules you need, so you don't need ot use the "full" image.

#3 2006-02-14 02:50:44

iphitus
Forum Fellow

As well as that, you dont have the latest mkinitramfs or your initramfs isnt built with the lastest one.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ini … and_ArchCK
Build a full one as shown at the end of that page, and ensure you reference the correct path in your bootloader.

iphitus

#4 2006-02-14 04:38:42

codemac
Website

Hmm.. well once I booted the standard kernel, pacman'd with that, everything went smoothly.

I seriously think it had something to do with chroot still.  But maybe it was a wrong path or something.  Thanks for the help.

#5 2006-02-14 06:02:41

vlado

Something similar happened to me (plus modules from initramfs complaining that they were compiled for different version of kernel).
Problem was in grub settings.
I used own initramfs image, not the one create automatically when kernel was installed. Once I checked the modification date of images in /boot and set the correct one in grub proglem dissapeared.

#6 2006-02-15 00:14:20

codemac
Website

Ahhhhhh....

When you pacman -S kernel26archck, it saves the mkinitramfs to /boot/initramfs-2.6.15-archck.img.  if you just run mkinitramfs, it saves it to /boot/initramfs-full.img.  So basically, yes, you were all right, my grub paths were wrong.

[solved]

Board footer