You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-11 22:38:36

Shemeta

how many partitions?

Hi guys,

i want to install Arch & i was wondering if i could do it with one Swap & one Ext3 partion? i also have one FAT32 & NTSC, so i don't want to mess with them.

i tried to install Arch, but i got an error that it has problems mounting the swap partition.

Here is some more info. When i enter the Partion Disk part, here is what i get:

/dev/discs/disc0 & the discs i have:

disk 4 - SWAP
disk 1 - NTFS
disk 2 - Fat32
disk 3 - Linux Ext3

i quit, click on done & go to the mount menu. now it gets confusing, because the menu has mount on:

/dev/discs/disc0/part 1
/dev/discs/disc0/part 2
/dev/discs/disc0/part 3
/dev/discs/disc0/part 4

i don't know which parts, which discs are. maybe i don't explain well, but i hope you can understand me.

i hope you can help me, thanks a lot though.

Shemeta

#2 2004-02-11 23:26:00

jlowell

Re: how many partitions?

Shemeta,

I'd answered you a moment ago but you revised your post before I saw it so I deleted mine. Lets try this again.

First, have no doubt that we can help you we simply need the facts to do so. I'm a little confused about what you're telling us about the present condition of things. Did you have free space on your drive before you attempted to create the Ext3 and swap partitions? Lets resolve that question first.

jlowell

#3 2004-02-11 23:34:40

Shemeta

Hi, thanks for the quick reply,

i didn't have any free space on my hard drive. i had Slack 9.1 installed on  the Ext3 , but i got bored with it, so i want to try Arch. 

i hope this answers your first question & i am ready for the more questions, if you have any.  wink

see ya,

#4 2004-02-11 23:39:23

dp
Website

parted on the installation cd (the tool to partion disk) shows parts as disks ... that is somehow strange, i know

disk1 -> part1
disk2 -> part2

but what i find funny is: why is "disk4" listened as first entry, i dont know

before you try installing, can you do check something?

try booting the installation cd / floppies

and then instead of running setup do: (exactly what i write ... wrong key can be dangerous!)

° when you have booted the cd/floppy you get a shell: #

° run # fdisk /dev/discs/disc0/disc

° press "p"

° take a piece of paper and write down what you see

° press "q"

/// sorry a lot if you know how to use fdisk and all this stuff, but i wanted to be sure, because if you dont and press wrong combination, you can erease your hdd very easy

then you can run the installer and know what is what

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2004-02-11 23:56:15

jlowell

Shemeta,

I'm relieved. Not knowing what was on the drive earlier I was concerned that inadvertently you may have taken out something you may not have wanted to take out. We're now OK about that.

Now let me ask you this: Had you created a swap partition when you did your Slackware install?

jlowell

#6 2004-02-12 01:12:11

Shemeta

Hi,

i think i did my partions under XP with PowerQuest Partion Magic. by that time i was new to linux, so i was "afraid" of it, but still excited to try out new things. now i know that is not good.

i hope i answered your question. will wait for more info.

Shemeta

#7 2004-02-12 01:57:59

jlowell

Shemeta,

Now let me ask you this: Had you created a swap partition when you did your Slackware install?

Seriously now, ask yourself if you think your reply answered the above question. While I'd like to be of help to you, if that's to happen, you'll have to help me more than you have with the answer you just gave me.

jlowell

#8 2004-02-12 02:51:00

Shemeta

nope, i created my swap before installing slack.  i am sorry if my answer was not clear. thank you for your help & being patient with me.

regards, Shemeta

#9 2004-02-12 03:39:09

jlowell

Shemeta,

OK, we have that resolved.

Assuming that you created the swap partition at a time prior to your Slackware installation but in connection with some other Linux distro - and, by all means, let me know in your reply whether or not this assumption is correct - I see no reason that you shouldn't attempt another installation of Arch from the CD. Just start again.

After you've run /arch/setup from the command prompt and you've identified the CD as your installation source, you'll see a menu displayed. Under Prepare Hard Drives, skip to Partition Hard Drives and you'll find yourself in cfdisk, a simple linux partitioning program. Since your partitions are already created you will only need to make certain that your root partition, the one you intend to format with the Ext3 file system, is made bootable. After that, simply write the new partition table and quit. It's as easy as pie.

Next you will select Set Filesystem Mountpoints. Here you're asked to identify first your swap partition, then your root partition. Next you'll be asked to select a file system for the root partition which will be Ext3.  When you're finished with these steps make sure to scroll down to the bottom of the menu and select "DONE". This last is easily overlooked - I missed it the first time - but critical. You should then continue on with your install. Any trace of Slackware will be gone if it isn't already.

Just one other thing: If you are using Partition Magic, System Commander or some other DOS boot manager, it will be important to install Lilo or Grub to root. Do not install it to your MBR or you'll be spending the next two days trying to find out how to reach your FAT32 partition.

Make sure to bring further questions here right away.

jlowell

#10 2004-02-12 13:50:27

Shemeta

Hmmm,

i figured it out how & where to install Swap & root, then i select the packages i want & i get to the menu where i have to configure the system. i read the online docs, but i don't know if it is necessary to edit all the files in the system configuration or only the file for the boot manager. i am using Lilo right now, it still works even though i deleted Slack. so i edit the lilo.conf & then save it under /etc/lilo.conf

then i try to install LILO as a boot manager, but it doesn't work. i get an error : see /dev/vc5/.... something

what am i doing wrong?

thanks for the help.

Regards, Shemeta

#11 2004-02-12 18:18:19

Shemeta

I'm a  dork! now  i have AL installed. finally. after i selected the packages i want,i forgot to install them, that's why everything went wrong. now i am trying to configure XFree86 & startx, but i have problem with my  mouse. i mount it at /dev/mouse  using defaults, but i get an error when i startx. do you guys know how can i fix that.

then i need to set up my inet. it's broadband inet using  Belkin PCMCIA card on my laptot.

Thanks for the help.

Shemeta

#12 2004-02-12 18:47:31

jlowell

Shemeta,

Sounds like you're doing just fine. We'll get you there in a short time, believe me.

As to the mouse problem, here's something from our FAQ in the installation documentation that ought to be helpful:

6.8 When I try and run X, it can't find /dev/mouse
Since we use devfs, your PS/2 mouse port will be /dev/psaux or /dev/misc/psaux. If you'd like to have a /dev/mouse symlink as well, you can add the following lines to your /etc/devfsd.conf and restart the daemon with killall -HUP devfsd:

REGISTER       ^misc/psaux$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink misc/psaux mouse
UNREGISTER     ^misc/psaux$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink mouse

You should see /dev/mouse now, and so should X.

See if identifying the mouse as /dev/psaux doesn't help.

Let us know if any other problems develop.

jlowell

#13 2004-02-12 18:58:49

Shemeta

Thanks, for the help.
i will  try that now. there is something else. when Arch starts, it doesn't detect my Belkin PCMCI card. do you have any suggestion how to fix that?

thanks for  your help.

P.S. that with the mouse works. great job! now it's time for the inet .

#14 2004-02-12 19:27:54

jlowell

Shemeta,

Regarding the PCMCIA situation, two questions occur to me. Did you build your kernel from source when installing or did you use the pre-compiled kernel? That makes a difference because if you built the kernel from source you may have forgotten to either build in or make a module for the Belkin driver. If you used a pre-compiled kernel the problem might concern your /etc/rc.conf. In either case we'll find a solution. Let me know which route you took respecting the kernel.

jlowell

#15 2004-02-12 19:50:47

Shemeta

HI jlowell

i installed the IDE kernel from the CD.

now i have another problem with startx.  when i run xf86config , i choose my settings & then i get an error:

VGA(0):Virtual height (0) is too small for the hardware (min 1)
Sreen(s) found,but none have a usable configuration.

when i run xf86config & i choose 256 colors monitor, then it works, but the everything is so big.  sad 

i am waiting for more advices

Shemeta

p.s. xf86config is currently working.

#16 2004-02-12 20:17:16

jlowell

Shemeta,

Unfortunately, I've got some demands on me at the moment and will not be able to reply in any intelligent way for a few hours. Perhaps someone else will step in to help move things along for you. In any event I will get back to you as soon as I'm free.

jlowell

#17 2004-02-12 23:48:08

jlowell

Shemeta,

Back again.

I think it would be helpful if you would post your /etc/rc.conf to the board. That way we'll be able to see whether or not changes need to be made.

I must confess at this point that there are probably any number of Arch users that would be better qualified to guide you on from here. I have no experience whatsoever with laptops, have never owned or had a need for one, and would therefore be much more likely to foul you up than help you. After seeing your /etc/rc.conf, I may be able to help you get your network card up-and- running, but configuring xfree86 for a laptop is knowledge I just don't have. So lets take a look at that configuration file and I'll take you as far as I can. After that we can jointly screem for help. smile

jlowell

#18 2004-02-12 23:59:18

Shemeta

amother  quick question, how can i start GNOME?

i changed my /etc/initt file , the id to 5, so it will start X automatically, but then i can't log in. how can i fix that & change it to 3 again? i can't start GNOME & i didn't install KDE or something else.  sad

#19 2004-02-13 00:53:54

terrapin

Shemeta,

If you want to have a graphical login manager (GDM or KDM) start automatically all you should have to do is add "GDM" to the daemons list in your /etc/rc.conf file.
"DAEMONS=(syslogd ..... GDM)"  This will start GDM when your machine boots.

I would also edit your /etc/inittab file and change your id back to 3.

Hopefully, this helps.
-joseph

:oops: I misunderstood your post. sorry.

#20 2004-02-13 01:10:17

jlowell

Shemeta,

You've solved the matters of the PCMCIA and the xfree86 configuration?

Sounds like you got youself into a pickle. You'll have to re-enter the installation via the CD and make the changes you need to make.

jlowell

#21 2004-02-13 01:33:03

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Or you could boot off the cd, mount your hard drive, and edit the inittab file.  Or use your bootloader to boot into single user mode and edit the file.  Or use your bootloader to boot into runlevel 3.  Lots of ways to do it.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#22 2004-02-13 03:41:29

Shemeta

so can someone explain  please how to start GNOME  or some other login manager?

thanks a lot!

#23 2004-02-13 05:01:10

tsykoduk
Website

As root do this

/etc/rc.d/gdm start

if that works add the gdm to your rc.conf file - it will autostart when ever you boot.

#24 2004-02-13 11:55:50

dp
Website

if you boot directly into an empty X, press CRTL-ALT-F2 to come to the console

with CRTL-ALT-F7 you will switch back to X

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#25 2004-02-13 15:26:56

tsykoduk
Website

Here is the portion of the rc.conf file - you do not need everything that I have; just after you test the gdm make sure that it is in there

DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd clamav network portmap nfslock nfsd netfs ypserv yppasswd cups samba crond !esd hotplug gdm !kdm)

Board footer