You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-20 23:18:48

Hybrid Son Of Oxayotl

Setting ArchLinux on an Asus N550JV laptop

So, I am not sure if doing a post here on how I solved all my problem with this model of computer is better, or if I should rather create a page on the Wiki. If a page on the Wiki is a better idea, I will delete this post and create the page instead.

Most of the stuff worked right out of the box, but some were more tricky.

- Using the NVidia card instead of the Intel one for games/applications that need more power:
You will need to install bumblebee as described on the wiki. Furthermore, you will need to add “rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1” to the options given to the kernel at boot time. Usually, if you are using Grub, it means editing /etc/default/grub to set either “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1"” or “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1"”. The first solution will only activate the option for the default kernel, i.e. the fallback entry will not activate the option, while the second will set the option for everyone.

When testing the performance with commands like “glxsphere64, do not forget to use add before your command “vblank_mode=0”. For instance, “vblank_mode=0 primusrun  glxspheres64”. Else, it will limit to around 60 frame per second.

- SD Card slot:
To get the card slot to work, you will need to install exfat-utils and fuse-exfat.
This worked for some SD cards, but I have one which I still cannot read. I have no idea why.

- Subwoofer:
That one was the trickiest. I was able to find it, but only on Spanish. So, the solution is as follows.
Create a folder /lib/firmware/alsa. In this folder, create a file called “n550-bass”, containing

[codec]
0x10ec0668 0x104311cd 0

[pincfg]
0x1a 0x80106111

Then you will need to create or edit “/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf” to contain :

options snd-hda-intel patch=,alsa/n550-bass

Then you will need to  append this to the file “/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/extra-hdmi.conf”

[Mapping analog-surround-21]
device-strings = surround40:%f
channel-map = front-left,front-right,lfe,lfe
paths-output = analog-output analog-output-speaker
priority = 7
direction = output

Last, you need to edit “/etc/pulse/daemon.conf”. Uncomment the line about enable-lfe-remixing, and set it to yes, i.e. “enable-lfe-remixing = yes”. Do the same to set “default-sample-channels = 3”.
Now, after a reboot, you should be able to get your subwoofer to work. Do not forget to plug it in completely. Sometime it seems look like it is plugged, but it is not completely, and therefore you will not hear any sound.

- Fn keys to set the screen luminosity:
I have no damn idea! Nothing I tried worked.

Sources :
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=146708
http://www.ubuntu-es.org/node/182532#.U6S5FKZCPbH
http://www.keephungry.com.ar/2013/07/su … sus-n.html

Extra:
If at one point your battery stop from ever charging, and there is some blinking orange led, then follow this guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … st13035724
The first method worked fine for me.

Last edited by Hybrid Son Of Oxayotl (2014-06-20 23:24:52)

#2 2014-06-21 04:19:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Setting ArchLinux on an Asus N550JV laptop

The wiki is where this belongs; others can then easily add to it and keep it updated.

Once you have migrated the content across, hit the report button and a mod can delete it.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-06-21 14:39:14

Hybrid Son Of Oxayotl

#4 2014-06-21 14:53:13

ewaller
Administrator

Hi Hybrid,

I saw your note to the moderators.  I assume then you would like this thread closed.  I am going to go ahead and do so.  Let us know if you want it reopened by reporting it again and letting us know.  Thanks for updating the wiki.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer