You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-22 09:48:06

diffycat

Wayland and CJK input support

I have tried to find information about CJK input support in Wayland and failed to find anything (only discussion about font rendering glithes). But since it will be in Fedora 21 it should be implemented already (probably?).

Question is how it works? They have ported fcitx/ibus/scim/... or Wayland has some internal mechanism to handle them (through libinput)? Has anybody tried this?

#2 2014-06-22 11:31:53

OlaffTheGreat

Re: Wayland and CJK input support

Hi,
I use CJK tools regulary (almost Chinese and Japanese + Arabic). and use uim to interface it (although I tried fcitx). It works ok. But I find them way off the tools found in close source world.
e.g. my Chinese friends (only the computers understanding ones) complain about the unefficient 'sogo' integration in linux world, which is very popular. ('sogo' provide the lazy' friendly, efficient way to type entire sentences by input only a couple of syllables. Super-autocompletion system, feeding on huges online databases)

On the same idea, the dictionnaries (words and characters) found in *nix world are not sufficient.  Same thing for tools like gjiten, or handwriting recognition.
For the record,
I can tell you it is hard to convience the less understanding of these users, the efficiency of archlinux (or any open source) system when there are all on iPhone with good-looking and reactive, up-to-date tools.

By the way, scim is deprecated, ibus beeing its successor. But I was mainly unsatisfied by this tool.

About wayland, I have it installed as default, I never had the need to tweak it in anyway to make it work.
I just installed the im base + addons related to targeted language scripts. fonts, some tools, and dictionaries. Also need to tell the system I use uim or fcitx or other.

Lenovo Thinkpad x230 i5-3320M 2.6GHz 250GB SSD (M4) 16GB
SSD | SeaBIOS | GPT | BTRFS | OpenRC | Xfce4 | Zsh | Tmux | Spacemacs
* "Aware Newbie" *
Ibus IM for language script support (e.g. 日本語 - 中文)

Board footer