You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-21 19:31:17

Gui||aume

[SOLVED] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Crackling audio

Is anybody experiencing crackling audio with this game? The sound starts to crack right on the first intro animation and continue in-game. No audio problem appears in the Steam log.

I tried to find a solution in Arch PulseAudio troubleshooting, tried LTS kernel and nvidia304 drivers without success.

My system :
Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
Geforce 660 Ti
SB X-Fi Titanium
PulseAudio 5.0

Civilization 5 runs fine on Arch without any audio glitch. Maybe the XCOM Linux port have a problem?

Update: I actived my onboard sound card, defined it as default and the problem is now gone. No more crackling. So the problem is with my Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium.

Last edited by Gui||aume (2014-06-24 20:01:25)

#2 2014-06-23 15:31:37

Re: [SOLVED] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Crackling audio

I had a crackling sound too.
I'm using Pulse Audio. The Problem was less bad when I switched from the "Simultanious Output" to a specific card.

"SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa" as a startvalue for the game in Steam removed the crackling completely.

#3 2014-06-23 17:46:27

Gui||aume

193 wrote:

I'm using Pulse Audio. The Problem was less bad when I switched from the "Simultanious Output" to a specific card.

"SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa" as a startvalue for the game in Steam removed the crackling completely.

Where do you set this value? I tried to set it on xcom app launch option in Steam, tried to add it before the executable in the shortcut link and finally tried "export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa" before lauching Steam. Still crackling with my Sound Blaster X-Fi. sad

#4 2014-06-23 21:45:44

kahrkunne

I've posted this before in other threads, but are you using a sound card or DAC that's not on your motherboard? Like, an external sound card or DAC or a seperate one in your case? Does the issue still occur when you switch to built-in audio (that is, from your motherboard, if your motherboard supports it)? Post console output too.

#5 2014-06-24 06:02:23

Gui||aume wrote:
193 wrote:

Where do you set this value? I tried to set it on xcom app launch option in Steam, tried to add it before the executable in the shortcut link and finally tried "export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa" before lauching Steam. Still crackling with my Sound Blaster X-Fi. sad

I placed it in the app launch option in Steam. I'm sorry to hear that it still does not work.

(Btw. my soundcard is the ESI Juli@,)

#6 2014-06-24 11:36:44

Gui||aume

Thanks for your help guys. I solved my problem by adding tsched=0 in /etc/pulse/default.pa (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … _crackling). I was sure that i already tried it before without success but it works now.

Last edited by Gui||aume (2014-06-24 11:36:59)

#7 2014-06-24 19:40:38

melipone

Thanks for posting your solution Gui||aume - this sorted me out too (on ubuntu, using XFi Extreme Gamer).

Last edited by melipone (2014-06-24 19:42:26)

Board footer