You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-23 19:51:41

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Replacement for gnome-keyring

I have not really used Kde for many many years so am not up to speed. Running Openbox with qt applications in the hope of removing the need for gtk3. One of the problems I am having is finding a replacement for it. Have tried Kwallet but that did not work. Have read about lxqt_wallet.

What I do not understand is why gnome-keyring needs gtk3? or gcr? if I remove it I can no longer use power functions as user or as in virtualbox video drivers do not work fullscreen.

If someone has a suggestion for an alternative or workaround please let me know..

Mr Green

#2 2014-06-24 03:05:27

mhogomchungu

Re: Replacement for gnome-keyring

gnome-keyring will generate a GUI prompt that asks for a password when a request is made to access secrets in a locked keyring.I suspect the GUI window is the one that creates a dependency in gtk.

gnome-keyring is a back end component and other projects have it as a dependency and hence you can not easily swap it out for another backend with similar functionality as those applications with a dependency on it will complain bitterly.

are you looking for alternative to have as a dependency in your project or? If its in your project,you should be looking at libsecret,not gnome-keyring.

#3 2014-06-24 05:43:56

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Libsecret might be what I need, just could not work out why power options for user stopped working without gnome-keyring. Certainly do not need GUI for password.

Will check it out thanks

Mr Green

#4 2014-06-24 11:35:34

mhogomchungu

I should have said libsecret is a front end to gnome-keyring so using libsecret is still using gnome-keyring.libsecret is a preferred API to use these days.

lxqt_wallet is my project,if you decide to check it out,i will be more than happy to answer any question you may have.

#5 2014-06-24 20:58:47

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

If lxqt-wallet is in aur I would like to add it too my project....

Mr Green

Board footer