You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-14 11:14:58

IceRAM
Website

[solved] ArchCK and fbsplash (dissapearing backgrounds etc.)

1. I get some weird behaviour from fbsplash. I had to set CONSOLEFONT in /etc/rc.conf to enable background pictures for all consoles.

Unfortunately, some of the backgrounds die unexpectedly making

fbsplash: switched splash state to 'off' on console 2

appear in syslog.

2. I have set in /etc/conf.d/gensplash to start fbsplash on console 12, where I have the all the messages from syslog redirected. Unfortunately, this didn't happen. Is there a place to look for splash logs?

#2 2006-02-14 11:28:27

IceRAM
Website

Re: [solved] ArchCK and fbsplash (dissapearing backgrounds etc.)

Question no.3: doens't fbsplash work on consoles where getty doesn't run? I've tried setting it to run on tty11 where I have nothing and it didn't work.

reproductible behaviour for 1:
0. status: some consoles don't have background
1. on a console without background (let's say tty2) I do as root: /etc/rc.d/gensplash restart
2. background appears on all consoles, including tty2 (except problem (2) && (3) - see above)
3. switch to tty1 - it looks ok
4. switch back to tt2 - background has vanished

#3 2006-02-14 13:35:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

I've had that problem for ages. I remember asking dibble about it last year, as he was looking after the packages, but he didn't have any news.

I haven't checked the gensplash site for a while, mind you - there might be something there.

#4 2006-02-14 15:53:43

IceRAM
Website

I kind of fixed it. It seems /etc/rc.d/gensplash script never set up properly gensplash because of a test which never returned true.

In /etc/rc.d/splash-functions change

if [[ -e /dev/fbsplash && -e /lib/splash/cache/bootsplash ]] ; then

to

if [[ -e /dev/fbsplash ]] ; then

This produces an error on startup

FBIOSPLASH_SETSTATE failed, error code 22.

which (it seems), can be ignored. This change solves ALL the above problems.

I don't seem to have that file (/lib/splash/cache/bootsplash) in any package. I don't have initscripts-gensplash installed, but I don't think that makes a big difference.

#5 2006-02-14 17:51:37

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks for that IceRAM - I will take a look at that wink  That maybe something the initscripts DO create...

#6 2006-02-14 18:27:31

IceRAM
Website

The file isn't for sure in initscripts-gensplash. It might be created. Even so, I believe it should work without initscripts-gensplash installed.

I didn't even know initscripts-gensplash existed until I've done a search with pacman -Ss gensplash, looking for the name of the packages I've installed in order to list the files in them.

If it is something generated by the initscripts-gensplash, maybe they should be generated by the install function of the gensplash package also.

#7 2006-02-16 14:27:24

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

That's a good idea - I'll look at that too.  I just updated it to work with /usr on a separate partition so that is one recent advancement smile

Board footer