You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-25 06:19:18

murukesh

Use external monitor from GRUB

I have a monitor connected to my laptop via HDMI, and an Nvidia 670MX graphics card (using proprietary drivers). How do I get Arch to use the external display right from GRUB? Do the instructions in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … s_and_EDID apply even if I use the nvidia driver instead of nouveau? Grub is managed by dual-booted Debian, but I can probably use chroot or nspawn to update the Grub settings from Arch. My laptop monitor isn't working properly now, so I'd like to use the external display as much as possible.

#2 2014-06-25 09:22:21

Spider.007

Re: Use external monitor from GRUB

Those instructions do not apply at all; when grub runs, the kernel hasn't started yet. I think your BIOS is responsible for showing grub on any secondary monitors

#3 2014-06-25 09:40:45

murukesh

Re: Use external monitor from GRUB

Ah. Thanks. To clarify, while showing grub on multiple monitors may not be possible for me, what can I do so that everything after grub hands over control to the kernel is shown on secondary monitors? From that wiki article I figured I might have to use kernel parameters in grub, which is why I mentioned it.

Board footer