You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-25 17:13:26

sharX

[SOLVED] Installing Arch on USB - Problem with GRUB

Hey there.

I wanted to install ArchLinux on a USB-drive, but i am not able to install GRUB on it.

First i created an ext4 partition on it and installed Arch-base with pacstrap. I arch-chrooted int it, configured it and installed the kernel.
After that i wanted to install GRUB on the stick.

But than this:

sh-4.3# grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
/usr/bin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
/usr/bin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
Found fallback initramfs image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
done

Because of this error i am not able to execute grub-install. So i can't install GRUB.

So i created the necessary device.map file:

(hd0) /dev/sdb1

But the same error accured. So i read read the GRUB docs, but i cannot find a solution for this and therefor i am asking the friendly community big_smile

EDIT:

I tried to format the usb stick again and i got it working.

I wanted to install grub, but ..

sh-4.3# grub-install /dev/sdb
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels.  This is not supported yet..
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

But with --force it worked ...

sh-4.3# grub-install /dev/sdb --force
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels.  This is not supported yet..
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
Installation finished. No error reported.

Last edited by sharX (2014-06-25 19:02:08)

#2 2014-06-25 19:08:31

stevenhoneyman

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Arch on USB - Problem with GRUB

It sounds like the result of leftover bits of data on the drive. Did you dd zeros over it before starting the new filesystem? If not, that's worth a try.

Board footer