You are not logged in.

#126 2014-05-17 14:36:33

gabx
Website

Re: kalu: Keeping Arch Linux Up-to-date

I am not satisfied with my kalu setup within i3. Notification windows are blank and Kalu icone is not appearing on the status bar. Then, I am a little confused by dunst and do not know if I shall use it to display kalu notifs.
It seems to me it is quite new with the new upgrade (not sure as I modified at same time my i3 config)
TY in advance for any tips or config files.

Last edited by gabx (2014-05-17 14:39:47)

#127 2014-05-17 20:13:56

jjacky
Website

AnAkkk wrote:

The system tray icon doesn't work on Plasma Next due to this:
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 … asma-next/

hmmm ok... I've done some reading on this, still need to research this some more. I'm not sure what I'll do about this yet, I'll let you know.

gabx wrote:

I am not satisfied with my kalu setup within i3. Notification windows are blank and Kalu icone is not appearing on the status bar. Then, I am a little confused by dunst and do not know if I shall use it to display kalu notifs.
It seems to me it is quite new with the new upgrade (not sure as I modified at same time my i3 config)
TY in advance for any tips or config files.

I don't know i3 or dunst, but what I can say is that notifications aren't actually shown/handled by kalu, but inded by your notification daemon, so that's probably where you should look.

#128 2014-06-10 17:26:37

jjacky
Website

AnAkkk, and other KDE users: Ok so after looking into this, I couldn't really find a library to use KDE's StatusNotifierItem interface as I needed, and decided to write my own. Results is here (and it's in the AUR).

I've now pushed a branch statusnotifier on kalu's github, adding a new configure option --enable-status-notifier which will add a dependency to this new library, and make kalu use KDE's Status Notifier (still falling back on the good old systray if not available). I'd appreciate if anyone can try it out and let me know if this works as expected, thanks.

#129 2014-06-22 13:46:26

nsmathew

When I click the Show News button nothing happens, I have this in the preferences, firefox '$URL'. Any idea what could be wrong?

Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?
Friedrich Nietzsche

#130 2014-06-22 16:28:08

jjacky
Website

nsmathew wrote:

When I click the Show News button nothing happens, I have this in the preferences, firefox '$URL'. Any idea what could be wrong?

The preference isn't used to show the news, but when clicking on links within the news - which are shown inside a window of kalu. Not sure why it wouldn't work, but there was a bug in the news parser fixed somewhat recently, do you have the latest version (2.4.1) ? Do you get the news when clicking on menuitem "Show recent Arch Linux news" ?

#131 2014-06-24 13:05:15

nsmathew

jjacky wrote:
nsmathew wrote:

The preference isn't used to show the news, but when clicking on links within the news - which are shown inside a window of kalu. Not sure why it wouldn't work, but there was a bug in the news parser fixed somewhat recently, do you have the latest version (2.4.1) ? Do you get the news when clicking on menuitem "Show recent Arch Linux news" ?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was talking about this "Show News" button in the notification. The links inside the kalu window for recent news open correctly in firefox.
U7ZZd0Ws.png

EDIT: I am using KDE.

Last edited by nsmathew (2014-06-24 13:05:46)

Friedrich Nietzsche

#132 2014-06-24 14:22:31

jjacky
Website

So, you're saying that the button "Show news" on the notification doesn't do anything, but when showing the news (via menuitem) then everything works as expected, correct?

Is that button the only one not working, i.e. are other buttons on notifications (e.g. "Mark packages" or "Upgrade system") working, or not? If they are, I have no idea why the news one wouldn't; if not, it would indicate an issue with your notification daemon.

#133 2014-06-26 13:53:57

nsmathew

Yea, none of the buttons work. Ok let me check if there is some issue with notifications. Thanks.

Friedrich Nietzsche

#134 2014-06-27 19:25:02

AnAkkk

jjacky wrote:

AnAkkk, and other KDE users: Ok so after looking into this, I couldn't really find a library to use KDE's StatusNotifierItem interface as I needed, and decided to write my own. Results is here (and it's in the AUR).

I've now pushed a branch statusnotifier on kalu's github, adding a new configure option --enable-status-notifier which will add a dependency to this new library, and make kalu use KDE's Status Notifier (still falling back on the good old systray if not available). I'd appreciate if anyone can try it out and let me know if this works as expected, thanks.

It works, but kalu tells me that initialisation failed due to PolicyKit, odd. Not sure if it's related or not.

EDIT: Nevermind, it works now. It was just that my user was no longer in the group "kalu" for some reason. Thanks smile

Last edited by AnAkkk (2014-06-27 19:44:13)

#135 2014-06-27 19:59:19

jjacky
Website

AnAkkk wrote:

It works

Cool, thanks.

AnAkkk wrote:

EDIT: Nevermind, it works now. It was just that my user was no longer in the group "kalu" for some reason. Thanks smile

I'm guessing you may have e.g. remove "kalu" to install "kalu-git" or something similar, and the group kalu, created on install, is removed on remove. In which case you should know that if you ever go back to "kalu" it'll happen again.

#136 2014-06-27 22:23:44

AnAkkk

It's odd, I've put kalu in KDE's auto start, it works fine on KDE4, but on KDE5 kalu is launched twice every time. I have no idea why.

Is there any reason why there isn't an auto start file provided with kalu ? smile

#137 2014-06-27 23:34:01

jjacky
Website

Well, it does install /usr/share/applications/kalu.desktop, but if you want to start it automatically you should indeed enable it yourself, e.g. create a symlink in your ~/.config/autostart or something.

#138 2014-06-28 09:15:58

AnAkkk

jjacky wrote:

Well, it does install /usr/share/applications/kalu.desktop, but if you want to start it automatically you should indeed enable it yourself, e.g. create a symlink in your ~/.config/autostart or something.

Tried that, and kalu is still ran twice for some reason. Odd.

#139 2014-07-24 13:46:05

AnAkkk

Any idea when the statusnotifier support will be available in the kalu or kalu-git packages?

#140 2014-07-24 15:37:46

jjacky
Website

When I'll find some time I'll merge the branch into next and see to push it, so it'll be available via kalu-git directly (i.e. without the need to change the branch name, the need to add the configure flag will remains ofc). I'll also include it into branch pacman-next. Not sure when exactly, but I'll try to have it done soon-ish (Hopefully before next week).

As for inclusion in the main branch/kalu package, I'm planning a new version of kalu alongside the pacman 4.2 release (since there are API changes in alpm), and it'll be included there; I believe plans are for the end of August.

#141 2014-07-26 15:32:38

jjacky
Website

Ok, statusnotifier support is now in branch next, as well as pacman-next. Speaking of, if anyone would like to use kalu all the while using pacman-git, just because or to see how kalu can help handling pacnew files, that's what the branch pacman-next exist for.

#142 2014-07-26 16:34:16

nomorewindows

I'm running awesome with slim and it gives me the older message of not being able to initialize due to policykit (pushing the system upgrade button).  I have polkit-gnome and gtk3 installed, but this is what using systemd?  One machine will most likely use lxde, but it has its' own polkit for lxde.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2014-07-26 16:35:00)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#143 2014-07-26 17:04:48

nomorewindows

Nvm, I read the man pages, and now the feature is to add myself to kalu group.  Looks like this will be a good tool to have laying around in the shed.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#144 2014-09-04 17:31:09

adventurer

Olivier, kalu is really a great tool - I can't live without it anymore!

One idea: Have you already thought about adding support of parallel downloads similarly to how powerpill does it? I mean it's easy to add something like

xterm -e sudo powerpill -Syu

but this means that I give up one big advantage of kalu (I need no root privileges). Perhaps a direct support of aria2 would be possible. Do you see a chance to implement something like that?

#145 2014-09-04 19:56:50

bluesfreak72

Hi there!!!  I'm running awesome as my window manager.  I have polkit and polkit-gnome installed.  My user is a member of the 'wheel' group.  It detects new packages fine, but when I do a system upgrade, I get this error:  Error: Failed to initialize: Authorization from PolicyKit failed.  I have had no problems upgrading packages from the command line using pacman, yaourt, aura, and pacaur.  Please help me figure this out.  Thanks in advance.

#146 2014-09-04 20:07:42

bluesfreak72

I added my user to the kalu group and now it works properly!!!  big_smile

#147 2014-09-05 08:45:02

jjacky
Website

adventurer: Thanks, glad you like it. As for parallel downloads, I don't think so. Or, more accurately, kalu's sysupgrader is only a frontend for ALPM, it doesn't actually do any downloading itself. So, if such a feature was added to ALPM it would be supported in kalu, but not otherwise.

bluesfreak72: Adding your user to group kalu means no password prompt required yes, but it should work even if you're not a member (with then a password required). The error you reported sounds like you did not have a polkit agent running; You said polkit-gnome is installed, but maybe it wasn't actually running though.

#148 2014-10-19 19:48:23

0strodamus

After the gtk3-3.14.3-2 update, I'm seeing very large icons in the tray context-menu. The tray icon itself is fine. The notification icon size slider doesn't seem to be working either. Neither item is a big deal - I was just wondering if anyone else seeing this and if there is a fix?

EDIT: I should have perused the forums before posting. Kalu isn't the only app affected.

@AnAkkk: Thanks for confirming it's not just me.

Last edited by 0strodamus (2014-10-19 19:52:15)

archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

"In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

#149 2014-10-19 19:49:42

AnAkkk

0strodamus wrote:

After the gtk3-3.14.3-2 update, I'm seeing very large icons in the tray context-menu. The tray icon itself is fine. The notification icon size slider doesn't seem to be working either. Neither item is a big deal - I was just wondering if anyone else seeing this and if there is a fix?

I have the same issue with kalu.

#150 2014-10-19 21:24:37

jjacky
Website

Yep, thanks for the report; It is indeed an issue related to GTK 3.14 and changes re: icon sizes. The way I'm planning on addressing this is by providing a 16x16 version of the icon, which will then be used in menus/buttons. (I'll also force the size in code for notifications.)

I'm hoping to push some commits to branch next this week (I'm still planning on waiting for pacman 4.2 to release a new version of kalu.), including this, but in the mean time as mentionned on this issue you should be able to do it yourself relatively easilly already, so your menus/buttons don't look so weird.

Board footer