You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-12 12:39:42

d3c3it
Website

A few questions about post install

Hi all
ive just recently install arch, well last nite actually, on my laptop *krappy 1.1ghz celery thing* which had gentoo on before. first off what a change of install, base install done in 20mins, compared with 10hours on gentoo, anyway, i want to upgrade to the 2.6.2 kernel which i see is in pacman but what i wanted to know is do i have to do the kernel install the "arch" way or can i do the ol'fasioned way of downloading the source's and simply unpacking them, configuring them and then make bzImage ... etc and copying over the new bzImage to grub?or would this cause problems with the arch setup?

my second question ive just found the answer to just now *aint reading great* about my laptop not turning off when i shutdown.

my third i dont know how i would fix. when arch starts up i get all the services that have been started etc what i want to know after thats done the screen clears and goes to a prompt, how do i turn that off, as there is bits an pieces on startup that is erroring but i dont get a chance to see which processes are causing the errors *damn it boots to fast heh*

thanks in advance to any replies,

"Covered in blood, Cant understand" - Biffy Clyro

#2 2004-02-12 13:01:19

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: A few questions about post install

Hi

you can of course compile your own kernel from source  big_smile 

read up on abs ....its simply a matter of editing PKGBUILD to suit your system....makepkg away you go....

I am sure if you search the forums you will find what you are looking for....

I am running 2.6.2 & Nvidia drivers (if I can do it then I am sure you can too lol )

dmesg in a terminal after boot up may show you any errors you have .....

as root run abs

as root:

cd /var/abs/kernels/kernel26

makepkg

pacman -A kernel26-x.pkg.tar.gz

rm -rf /usr/src/linux-2.6.1

cd src/

mv linux-2.6.1 /usr/src

Above code may give you an idea whats involved

welcome to Arch  8)

Mr Green

Mr Green

#3 2004-02-12 14:04:37

d3c3it
Website

what about making my own config? i read breifly about moving the .config into the abs directory but not quite sure

thanks very much, so far arch is great fun smile

#4 2004-02-12 14:22:21

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Hi

There is a config file in kernel26 dir....under abs....once abs is run as root you can take a look at it in the kernel26 dir.....

Have fun...

Mr Green

Mr Green

#5 2004-02-12 16:29:15

sarah31
Website

if you want to use abs to compile your kernel but use your own config you can either edit the config file in the abs directory or you can run makepkg and then quit after the kernel downloads then do the menuconfig thing and then save the file and use the .config file to replace the config file in abs.

or you can just install the non arch way. using abs though will allow you to make a nice neat little package out of your kernel that is easier to remove after.

either way you do it i suggest that you do leave the full source (linux-2.6.2) directory in /usr/src/ instead of the default arch one. .... well if you have a nvidia card that is.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-02-12 16:53:30

Bobonov

Just few clarification about recompiling the kernel...

As Mr Green said you can do it by using the arch system.
Just few suggestion
Just go to /usr/var/abs and run abs
after the command has done you will see many dirs one of this should be kernels.
Go there and you find kernel26, enter it
here you find PKGBUILD and config files.

If you do a more of the PKGBUILD you will see that everithing is done like a script. config is th classical config file for the kernel and is copied in the appropiate dir before compiling.
Once you start the makepkg command at first it verify build dep then it start to download the kernel.
After the download it will unpack in src (under the current dir) the sources then it start to compile.
Now you can press ctrl-c to interrupt the process.
Go to kernel dir under src and chage configuration as always, commandline, gui interface or the way you prefer.
Once you are happy with it copy the newly created config file and overwrite the one with the package, delete src dir and run makepkg again. Do not worry the tar.gz with the sorce is in the cache, no need to download it again.

At this point wait untill the end and you will find a file named kernel26-2.6.x.pkg.tar.gz if everithing went fine.

then run
pacman -Ac kernel26-2.6.x.pkg.tar.gz
This will install the new kernel, off-course you still have to configure your grub/lilo.
Test the kernel and see if you are satisfied with it, if not start again and change configuration.

Why should I go trou makepkg and pacman when I can do it directly?
Yes you can compile it directly. the advantage to go by pacman is that it keep track of the file in the package, so if you change idea and decide to compile in something that before was a moduel it will be removed from the system by pacman.

To get poweroff on the laptop and in general on any pc add this to you lilo/grub configuration as kernel parameter.
apm=on apm=power-off

If you have an ide cdwriter add also
hdc=ide-scsi

Last thing to get ful screen during text bootup add
vga=0x305

#7 2004-02-12 18:14:38

sarah31
Website

make sure you add kernel26 to your pacman.conf's IgnorePkg options or everytime the kernel26 is upgraded you will get the stock kernel when you do a pacman -Syu.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2004-02-12 18:59:59

d3c3it
Website

wow thanks for all the replies. well im just about to go and get my system going, i think ill go with the "old skool" way, just the way im used to you know?

also another thing i've remembered, where is arch with udev? i use it currently with my desktop and it works very well *ive had no problems so far* but with arch would it cause major problems with devfsd?

wow everyone is so nice here smile

#9 2004-02-12 21:10:14

sarah31
Website

well again i will just offer a guess .... i would say that udev is on a slow track right now (or should be). i would guess this because it is not even considered near stable by the kernel people even though it is not marked as such.  i would expect that they would do extensive testing before switching from a fully functional devfs setup to a still unstable udev system.

i wouldn't expect it for a bit

as for udev and devfs coexisting ..... i would expect a system to blowup quickly. as far as i know udev is/will be a replacement for devfs.

EDIT:
BTW once you have your kernel installed and stable i suggest removing any stock kernel you have installed. it will make things easier.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#10 2004-02-12 21:27:26

d3c3it
Website

*not comparing to gentoo here* im using it on my gentoo box on my desktop and it works fine, udev that is, i think ill leave it for abit thou and yea it is a replacement of devfsd smile

in what way easier? i've always had multiple kernels to boot into you know different patch sets etc, not being boasting here, just wondered what differences it would make?

also ive got another question does arch use rc-update, ie adding runtime stuff such as xdm etc ?

#11 2004-02-12 21:37:57

sarah31
Website

d3c3it wrote:

*not comparing to gentoo here* im using it on my gentoo box on my desktop and it works fine, udev that is, i think ill leave it for abit thou and yea it is a replacement of devfsd smile

that is good but ymmv compared to another person. my point is that i would not expect it too soon because they have to make sure as well as they can that switching to udev will allow all users to still be functional.

in what way easier? i've always had multiple kernels to boot into you know different patch sets etc, not being boasting here, just wondered what differences it would make?

well for example if you have a /usr/src/linux that would be altered when a new kernel upgrade comes down the pipe. it has nothing to do with running multilple kernels it has everything to do with keeping /usr/src/ and other such thing in the condition you want them not how some package wants them.

i hope this makes sense it is management thing.

also ive got another question does arch use rc-update, ie adding runtime stuff such as xdm etc ?

no that is a gentoo thing i believe.  rc files are rarely changed and adding some runtime daemon to one of the scripts is all done manually normally.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#12 2004-02-13 10:27:26

d3c3it
Website

yay after an hr of installing and configuring while watching 24 *so half on this half on that* ive got gdm autoloading, 2.6kernel *my config* X and xfce4. looking great. also id like to note this had gentoo before, and firefox was abit laggy on it, with arch its alot fast, it boots faster aswell. arch replaced gentoo and its staying, sounds like linuxfanboy stuff but arch has really impressed me. but i had a little weirdness in the install, i dont know if its a bug but ill describe it here.
when setting up the machine i checked out fstab, i left it as it was as i didnt know if arch did things differently, anyway it didnt and arch couldnt start because there was no /, so i used the basecd as a rescue cd and added that, booted yay, also swap wasnt it so i had to add that, did i do something wrong? or is that a bug not auto filling fstab?

also ive seen references to logjam on the board but it doesnt seem to be there anymore, has it been removed?

all i need to do now is setup sound yay smile

#13 2004-02-13 10:54:25

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Hi

Yes you have to set up fstab & some config files but hey no problem 8)

Gentoo install with Gnome took me  some 12 hours ouch.... :-( 

Arch install & set up a lot less of a headache once X starts away you go.... lol

Welcome to Arch .....  wink

Mr Green

Mr Green

#14 2004-02-13 10:57:16

d3c3it
Website

ahh, so it was moi fault, ill learn for next time, im already recommending this to want to learn linux newbies, cutting out 12hrs of compile time is fanastic. seriously arch has been the easist to install linux ive come across.

anyway thanks for all your help

and thank you smile

#15 2004-02-13 16:03:48

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Those lines in fstab should have been auto added.  They're a little finiky, so I guess they didn't that time.  No harm though, you figured it out.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#16 2004-02-13 16:10:45

d3c3it
Website

well like i said, bunged those in and i was off, no bigger smile

1 other thing thou im a little confused about, how do i get access to or use these dev repo's? im alittle confused by this *theres bits of software in each repo id like to use* anyone?pretty please? smile

#17 2004-02-13 16:23:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

There are a bunch of different repos.  Current, extra and unstable are the most up-to-date official repos.  Release is another official repo, but it's just a bunch of pakcages frozen in time.  These repos are all in your /etc/pacman.conf, commented out or not.

Then there's the Trusted User Repositories (tur.berlios.de).  Read everyithg on there to get an idea of what they're about.

Then there's incoming.  Incoming is just an ftp directory that people can upload submitted packages (in a certain format) for acceptance into the TURs and, later, into extra.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#18 2004-02-14 23:54:09

d3c3it
Website

woo, thanks man got everything sorted now smile

Board footer