You are not logged in.

#301 2014-06-07 21:17:22

Paul-S
Member
From: Wales
Registered: 2008-02-04
Posts: 343

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

aISLJWZs.jpg

L1fzgtCs.png

Cheers
Paul-S

Offline

#302 2014-06-14 15:08:04

I-sty
Member
From: Romania
Registered: 2012-11-30
Posts: 60
Website

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

Here's mine:
clean
dirty

Last edited by I-sty (2014-06-14 15:10:29)

Offline

#303 2014-06-15 07:52:57

GSF1200S
Member
Registered: 2008-12-24
Posts: 397

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

I-sty wrote:

Here's mine:
clean
dirty

Very very nice! Do you mind sharing whats going on in the dirty shot? I use Openbox on Arch, but im building up an i3 setup on Gentoo and id very much like to know about your programs. Got a link to your configs?

Awesome looking woman for the wallpaper too!

Offline

#304 2014-06-15 08:00:40

I-sty
Member
From: Romania
Registered: 2012-11-30
Posts: 60
Website

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

GSF1200S wrote:

Very very nice! Do you mind sharing whats going on in the dirty shot? I use Openbox on Arch, but im building up an i3 setup on Gentoo and id very much like to know about your programs. Got a link to your configs?

Awesome looking woman for the wallpaper too!

Oooh, thank you very much! big_smile

.i3/config

# This file has been auto-generated by i3-config-wizard(1).
# It will not be overwritten, so edit it as you like.
#
#

# i3 config file (v4)
#
# Please see http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html for a complete reference!

set $mod Mod4

#default, floating, tabbed
#new container floating 

# new window default border
new_window none
new_float none

# Hiding vertical borders
#hide_edge_borders <none|vertical|horizontal|both>
#hide_edge_borders horizontal

# font for window titles. ISO 10646 = Unicode
#font -misc-fixed-medium-c-normal--12-120-75-75-C-70-iso10646-1
font xft:Terminus 9

# Use Mouse+$mod to drag floating windows to their wanted position
floating_modifier $mod

# start a terminal
bindsym $mod+Return exec gnome-terminal

#Back and Forth
workspace_auto_back_and_forth yes

# kill focused window
bindsym $mod+Shift+Q kill

# start dmenu (a program launcher)
bindsym $mod+d exec dmenu_run -fn 'xft:Terminus:pixelsize=8' -nb '#191919' -nf '#9ac0cd' -sb '#191919' -sf '#bf3f34' -p '>'

#CHANGING BORDER STYLE
bindsym $mod+t border normal
bindsym $mod+y border 1pixel
bindsym $mod+u border none


# BORDERLESS CONTAINER
#i3-msg border none 

# WINDOW CONTROL 
#for_window [class=".*"] floating enable 
for_window [title="Compress"] floating enable
for_window [title="gnome-screenshot"] floating enable

# HANDLE POPUPS
popup_during_fullscreen smart

# change focus
bindsym $mod+Left focus left
bindsym $mod+Down focus down
bindsym $mod+Up focus up
bindsym $mod+Right focus right

# move focused window
bindsym $mod+Shift+Left move left
bindsym $mod+Shift+Down move down
bindsym $mod+Shift+Up move up
bindsym $mod+Shift+Right move right

# split in horizontal orientation
bindsym $mod+h split h

# split in vertical orientation
bindsym $mod+v split v

# enter fullscreen mode for the focused container
bindsym $mod+f fullscreen

# change container layout (stacked, tabbed, default)
bindsym $mod+s layout stacking
bindsym $mod+w layout tabbed
bindsym $mod+e layout default

# toggle tiling / floating
bindsym $mod+Shift+space floating toggle

# change focus between tiling / floating windows
bindsym $mod+space focus mode_toggle

# focus the parent container
bindsym $mod+a focus parent

# focus the child container
#bincode $mod+d focus child

# move windows to workspace
bindsym $mod+Shift+exclam 	move workspace 1
bindsym $mod+Shift+at 		move workspace 2
bindsym $mod+Shift+numbersign 	move workspace 3
bindsym $mod+Shift+dollar 	move workspace 4
bindsym $mod+Shift+percent 	move workspace 5
bindsym $mod+Shift+asciicircum 	move workspace 6
bindsym $mod+Shift+ampersand 	move workspace 7
bindsym $mod+Shift+asterisk 	move workspace 8
bindsym $mod+Shift+parenleft 	move workspace 9
bindsym $mod+Shift+parenright 	move workspace 10

# switch to workspace
bindsym $mod+1 workspace 1
bindsym $mod+2 workspace 2
bindsym $mod+3 workspace 3
bindsym $mod+4 workspace 4
bindsym $mod+5 workspace 5
bindsym $mod+6 workspace 6
bindsym $mod+7 workspace 7
bindsym $mod+8 workspace 8
bindsym $mod+9 workspace 9
bindsym $mod+0 workspace 10:sample name

# reload the configuration file
bindsym $mod+Shift+C reload
# restart i3 inplace (preserves your layout/session, can be used to upgrade i3)
bindsym $mod+Shift+R restart

# exit i3
bindsym $mod+Shift+E exit

# resize window (you can also use the mouse for that)

# These bindings trigger as soon as you enter the resize mode
mode "resize" {

        # They resize the border in the direction you pressed, e.g.
        # when pressing left, the window is resized so that it has
        # more space on its left

        bindsym j               resize shrink left 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+j         resize grow   left 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym k               resize shrink down 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+k         resize grow   down 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym l               resize shrink up 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+l         resize grow   up 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym semicolon       resize shrink right 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+semicolon resize grow   right 10 px or 10 ppt

        # same bindings, but for the arrow keys
        bindsym Left        resize shrink left 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+Left  resize grow   left 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym Down        resize shrink down 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+Down  resize grow   down 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym Up          resize shrink up 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+Up    resize grow   up 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym Right       resize shrink right 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+Right resize grow   right 10 px or 10 ppt

        # back to normal: Enter or Escape
        bindsym Return mode "default"
        bindsym Escape mode "default"
}

bindsym $mod+r mode "resize"

# take screenshot
# bindsym Print exec scrot '%Y-%m-%d-%t_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $ $f ~/images/'
# bindsym Print exec scrot 'Screenshot - %Y-%m-%d-%t_$wx$h_scrot.png' -e 'mv $f ~/images/'
bindsym Print exec gnome-screenshot -i


# colors
# class                                                 border  backgr.    text
client.focused                         #315858  #315858  #111111
#client.focused                         #bf3f34  #bf3f34   #bf3f34
client.unfocused                                #2c2e2f  #2c2e2f  #315858
client.focused_inactive         #2c2e2f #2c2e2f  #2c2e2f
client.urgent                                 #383a3b #383a3b  #ee0000


###  ADDED KEY BINDINGS  ###
bindsym $MOD+SHIFT+f exec thunar
bindsym $MOD+SHIFT+z exec subl3
bindsym $MOD+SHIFT+b exec chromium
bindsym $MOD+SHIFT+l exec /home/i-sty/Scripts/screen.sh

# BRIGHTNESS ADJUSTMENT
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessUp exec xbacklight -inc 10
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessDown exec xbacklight -dec 10
bindsym XF86TouchpadToggle exec /home/i-sty/Scripts/touchpad.sh 
bindsym XF86AudioNext exec mocp -f
bindsym XF86AudioPause exec mocp -G
bindsym XF86AudioPrev exec mocp -r


# Start i3bar to display a workspace bar (plus the system information i3status
# finds out, if available)
bar {
	position bottom
	#mode dock
	tray_output LVDS1
	workspace_buttons yes
	status_command ~/.i3/conky-i3bar

	colors {
        statusline      #696f89
        background      #000000
        
        # class             border    backgrd  text
        focused_workspace   #191919   #002842  #dedede
        active_workspace    #191919   #191919  #696f89
        inactive_workspace  #191919   #111111  #194680
        urgent_workspace    #656565   #000000  #508bc7
   }
 
}

# AUTOSTART
exec connman-ui-gtk
exec --no-startup-id feh --bg-fill /home/i-sty/Pictures/Wallpapers/variety/wallpaper-2270360.jpg
#exec --no-startup-id xcompmgr -c -C -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.55
exec gnome-terminal -e mocp
#exec gnome-terminal -e ~/Scripts/time.sh
exec volumeicon
exec fbxkb
exec transmission-gtk -m
exec --no-startup-id syndaemon -k -i 2 -d
exec xinput --set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Device Enabled" 0
exec xset +dpms
exec xset dpms 0 0 240

.i3/conky

out_to_x no
own_window no
out_to_console yes
background no
max_text_width 0

# Update interval in seconds
update_interval 1.0

# This is the number of times Conky will update before quitting.
# Set to zero to run forever.
total_run_times 0

# Shortens units to a single character (kiB->k, GiB->G, etc.). Default is off.
short_units yes

# How strict should if_up be when testing an interface for being up?
# The value is one of up, link or address, to check for the interface
# being solely up, being up and having link or being up, having link
# and an assigned IP address. 
if_up_strictness address

# Add spaces to keep things from moving about?  This only affects certain objects.
# use_spacer should have an argument of left, right, or none
use_spacer left

# Force UTF8? note that UTF8 support required XFT
override_utf8_locale no

# number of cpu samples to average
# set to 1 to disable averaging
cpu_avg_samples 1

# Stuff after 'TEXT' will be formatted on screen
#color1 #00FF00
TEXT

# JSON for i3bar

[
    { "full_text" : "${exec ~/Scripts/moc.sh}",   "color" :      "\#c0c0c0"},
	{ "full_text" : "Root: ${color1}${fs_free /}/${fs_size /}" , "color" : "\#808080" },
	{ "full_text" : "RAM: ${mem}" , "color" : ${if_match ${memperc}>80}"\#aa2525"${else}${if_match ${memperc}>60}"\#c9b400"${else}"\#56944e"${endif}${endif}},
	{ "full_text" : "CPU: ${freq_g cpu0}GHz ~${cpu cpu0}%" , "color" : "\#808080" },
	{ "full_text" : "Temp:${acpitemp}°C", "color" : ${if_match ${acpitemp}>70}"\#aa2525"${else}${if_match ${acpitemp}>53}"\#c9b400"${else}"\#56944e"${endif}${endif}},
	{ "full_text" : "DW:${downspeed enp1s0}", "color" : "\#808080"},
	{ "full_text" : "UP:${upspeed enp1s0}", "color" : "\#808080"},
	{ "full_text" : "${addr enp1s0}", "color" : "\#808080"},
	{ "full_text" : "Batt: ${battery_time BAT1}", "color" : "\#808080"},
    { "full_text" : "${time %b%e %H:%M:%S}", "color" : "\#7c80be"}
],

In the "dirty" shot I used:
MOC
Ranger
MC
And here's the girl!

Offline

#305 2014-06-15 21:47:31

GSF1200S
Member
Registered: 2008-12-24
Posts: 397

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

I-sty wrote:
GSF1200S wrote:

Very very nice! Do you mind sharing whats going on in the dirty shot? I use Openbox on Arch, but im building up an i3 setup on Gentoo and id very much like to know about your programs. Got a link to your configs?

Awesome looking woman for the wallpaper too!

Oooh, thank you very much! big_smile

.i3/config

# This file has been auto-generated by i3-config-wizard(1).
# It will not be overwritten, so edit it as you like.
#
#

# i3 config file (v4)
#
# Please see http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html for a complete reference!

set $mod Mod4

#default, floating, tabbed
#new container floating 

# new window default border
new_window none
new_float none

# Hiding vertical borders
#hide_edge_borders <none|vertical|horizontal|both>
#hide_edge_borders horizontal

# font for window titles. ISO 10646 = Unicode
#font -misc-fixed-medium-c-normal--12-120-75-75-C-70-iso10646-1
font xft:Terminus 9

# Use Mouse+$mod to drag floating windows to their wanted position
floating_modifier $mod

# start a terminal
bindsym $mod+Return exec gnome-terminal

#Back and Forth
workspace_auto_back_and_forth yes

# kill focused window
bindsym $mod+Shift+Q kill

# start dmenu (a program launcher)
bindsym $mod+d exec dmenu_run -fn 'xft:Terminus:pixelsize=8' -nb '#191919' -nf '#9ac0cd' -sb '#191919' -sf '#bf3f34' -p '>'

#CHANGING BORDER STYLE
bindsym $mod+t border normal
bindsym $mod+y border 1pixel
bindsym $mod+u border none


# BORDERLESS CONTAINER
#i3-msg border none 

# WINDOW CONTROL 
#for_window [class=".*"] floating enable 
for_window [title="Compress"] floating enable
for_window [title="gnome-screenshot"] floating enable

# HANDLE POPUPS
popup_during_fullscreen smart

# change focus
bindsym $mod+Left focus left
bindsym $mod+Down focus down
bindsym $mod+Up focus up
bindsym $mod+Right focus right

# move focused window
bindsym $mod+Shift+Left move left
bindsym $mod+Shift+Down move down
bindsym $mod+Shift+Up move up
bindsym $mod+Shift+Right move right

# split in horizontal orientation
bindsym $mod+h split h

# split in vertical orientation
bindsym $mod+v split v

# enter fullscreen mode for the focused container
bindsym $mod+f fullscreen

# change container layout (stacked, tabbed, default)
bindsym $mod+s layout stacking
bindsym $mod+w layout tabbed
bindsym $mod+e layout default

# toggle tiling / floating
bindsym $mod+Shift+space floating toggle

# change focus between tiling / floating windows
bindsym $mod+space focus mode_toggle

# focus the parent container
bindsym $mod+a focus parent

# focus the child container
#bincode $mod+d focus child

# move windows to workspace
bindsym $mod+Shift+exclam 	move workspace 1
bindsym $mod+Shift+at 		move workspace 2
bindsym $mod+Shift+numbersign 	move workspace 3
bindsym $mod+Shift+dollar 	move workspace 4
bindsym $mod+Shift+percent 	move workspace 5
bindsym $mod+Shift+asciicircum 	move workspace 6
bindsym $mod+Shift+ampersand 	move workspace 7
bindsym $mod+Shift+asterisk 	move workspace 8
bindsym $mod+Shift+parenleft 	move workspace 9
bindsym $mod+Shift+parenright 	move workspace 10

# switch to workspace
bindsym $mod+1 workspace 1
bindsym $mod+2 workspace 2
bindsym $mod+3 workspace 3
bindsym $mod+4 workspace 4
bindsym $mod+5 workspace 5
bindsym $mod+6 workspace 6
bindsym $mod+7 workspace 7
bindsym $mod+8 workspace 8
bindsym $mod+9 workspace 9
bindsym $mod+0 workspace 10:sample name

# reload the configuration file
bindsym $mod+Shift+C reload
# restart i3 inplace (preserves your layout/session, can be used to upgrade i3)
bindsym $mod+Shift+R restart

# exit i3
bindsym $mod+Shift+E exit

# resize window (you can also use the mouse for that)

# These bindings trigger as soon as you enter the resize mode
mode "resize" {

        # They resize the border in the direction you pressed, e.g.
        # when pressing left, the window is resized so that it has
        # more space on its left

        bindsym j               resize shrink left 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+j         resize grow   left 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym k               resize shrink down 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+k         resize grow   down 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym l               resize shrink up 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+l         resize grow   up 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym semicolon       resize shrink right 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+semicolon resize grow   right 10 px or 10 ppt

        # same bindings, but for the arrow keys
        bindsym Left        resize shrink left 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+Left  resize grow   left 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym Down        resize shrink down 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+Down  resize grow   down 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym Up          resize shrink up 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+Up    resize grow   up 10 px or 10 ppt

        bindsym Right       resize shrink right 10 px or 10 ppt
        bindsym Shift+Right resize grow   right 10 px or 10 ppt

        # back to normal: Enter or Escape
        bindsym Return mode "default"
        bindsym Escape mode "default"
}

bindsym $mod+r mode "resize"

# take screenshot
# bindsym Print exec scrot '%Y-%m-%d-%t_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $ $f ~/images/'
# bindsym Print exec scrot 'Screenshot - %Y-%m-%d-%t_$wx$h_scrot.png' -e 'mv $f ~/images/'
bindsym Print exec gnome-screenshot -i


# colors
# class                                                 border  backgr.    text
client.focused                         #315858  #315858  #111111
#client.focused                         #bf3f34  #bf3f34   #bf3f34
client.unfocused                                #2c2e2f  #2c2e2f  #315858
client.focused_inactive         #2c2e2f #2c2e2f  #2c2e2f
client.urgent                                 #383a3b #383a3b  #ee0000


###  ADDED KEY BINDINGS  ###
bindsym $MOD+SHIFT+f exec thunar
bindsym $MOD+SHIFT+z exec subl3
bindsym $MOD+SHIFT+b exec chromium
bindsym $MOD+SHIFT+l exec /home/i-sty/Scripts/screen.sh

# BRIGHTNESS ADJUSTMENT
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessUp exec xbacklight -inc 10
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessDown exec xbacklight -dec 10
bindsym XF86TouchpadToggle exec /home/i-sty/Scripts/touchpad.sh 
bindsym XF86AudioNext exec mocp -f
bindsym XF86AudioPause exec mocp -G
bindsym XF86AudioPrev exec mocp -r


# Start i3bar to display a workspace bar (plus the system information i3status
# finds out, if available)
bar {
	position bottom
	#mode dock
	tray_output LVDS1
	workspace_buttons yes
	status_command ~/.i3/conky-i3bar

	colors {
        statusline      #696f89
        background      #000000
        
        # class             border    backgrd  text
        focused_workspace   #191919   #002842  #dedede
        active_workspace    #191919   #191919  #696f89
        inactive_workspace  #191919   #111111  #194680
        urgent_workspace    #656565   #000000  #508bc7
   }
 
}

# AUTOSTART
exec connman-ui-gtk
exec --no-startup-id feh --bg-fill /home/i-sty/Pictures/Wallpapers/variety/wallpaper-2270360.jpg
#exec --no-startup-id xcompmgr -c -C -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.55
exec gnome-terminal -e mocp
#exec gnome-terminal -e ~/Scripts/time.sh
exec volumeicon
exec fbxkb
exec transmission-gtk -m
exec --no-startup-id syndaemon -k -i 2 -d
exec xinput --set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Device Enabled" 0
exec xset +dpms
exec xset dpms 0 0 240

.i3/conky

out_to_x no
own_window no
out_to_console yes
background no
max_text_width 0

# Update interval in seconds
update_interval 1.0

# This is the number of times Conky will update before quitting.
# Set to zero to run forever.
total_run_times 0

# Shortens units to a single character (kiB->k, GiB->G, etc.). Default is off.
short_units yes

# How strict should if_up be when testing an interface for being up?
# The value is one of up, link or address, to check for the interface
# being solely up, being up and having link or being up, having link
# and an assigned IP address. 
if_up_strictness address

# Add spaces to keep things from moving about?  This only affects certain objects.
# use_spacer should have an argument of left, right, or none
use_spacer left

# Force UTF8? note that UTF8 support required XFT
override_utf8_locale no

# number of cpu samples to average
# set to 1 to disable averaging
cpu_avg_samples 1

# Stuff after 'TEXT' will be formatted on screen
#color1 #00FF00
TEXT

# JSON for i3bar

[
    { "full_text" : "${exec ~/Scripts/moc.sh}",   "color" :      "\#c0c0c0"},
	{ "full_text" : "Root: ${color1}${fs_free /}/${fs_size /}" , "color" : "\#808080" },
	{ "full_text" : "RAM: ${mem}" , "color" : ${if_match ${memperc}>80}"\#aa2525"${else}${if_match ${memperc}>60}"\#c9b400"${else}"\#56944e"${endif}${endif}},
	{ "full_text" : "CPU: ${freq_g cpu0}GHz ~${cpu cpu0}%" , "color" : "\#808080" },
	{ "full_text" : "Temp:${acpitemp}°C", "color" : ${if_match ${acpitemp}>70}"\#aa2525"${else}${if_match ${acpitemp}>53}"\#c9b400"${else}"\#56944e"${endif}${endif}},
	{ "full_text" : "DW:${downspeed enp1s0}", "color" : "\#808080"},
	{ "full_text" : "UP:${upspeed enp1s0}", "color" : "\#808080"},
	{ "full_text" : "${addr enp1s0}", "color" : "\#808080"},
	{ "full_text" : "Batt: ${battery_time BAT1}", "color" : "\#808080"},
    { "full_text" : "${time %b%e %H:%M:%S}", "color" : "\#7c80be"}
],

In the "dirty" shot I used:
MOC
Ranger
MC
And here's the girl!

Awesome, thanks mate!

Offline

#306 2014-06-16 05:43:49

I-sty
Member
From: Romania
Registered: 2012-11-30
Posts: 60
Website

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

Offline

#307 2014-06-26 12:11:03

rikn00
Member
Registered: 2014-06-26
Posts: 21

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

clean:
d74a295b404d88b1fc3b7d7c63238397.png

taking a scrot:
06d913de489c8d7a1fc8c96076128f5d.png

Offline

#308 2014-06-26 15:58:27

x33a
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 3,189
Website

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

I-sty wrote:

I was mentioned in the "Thanks!" section, and I don't even remember why.

Offline

#309 2014-06-30 19:38:40

EAXBreakPARTY
Member
From: .se
Registered: 2014-01-01
Posts: 2
Website

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

The computer i used in my last entry gave up on me, bought a new in March and here's the picture so far.

Clean:
WIYVS43s.jpg

So-called-dirty:
ndGL1Tcs.jpg

It's a pretty default setup, usually on dual monitors but now I'm in the middle of moving so...

Offline

#310 2014-07-01 05:36:56

Shark
Member
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2011-02-28
Posts: 663

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

Huh, so here is mine. My first time using i3 and i must admit i spend whole day (still counting) for tweaking this beast. Usually is use KDE but this is not so bad smile

Clean:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-UMoB … sp=sharing

Dirty:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-UMoB … sp=sharing

I use compton with this

compton --vsync opengl --glx-use-copysubbuffermesa -b 

because opengl and glx make window moving really slow but xrender backend is somewhat tearing. Kwin is much better at compositing.

See ya


If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

Offline

#311 2014-07-04 18:44:25

akemrir
Member
Registered: 2011-07-23
Posts: 7

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

EAXBreakPARTY wrote:

The computer i used in my last entry gave up on me, bought a new in March and here's the picture so far.

Clean:
http://i.imgur.com/WIYVS43s.jpg

So-called-dirty:
http://i.imgur.com/ndGL1Tcs.jpg

It's a pretty default setup, usually on dual monitors but now I'm in the middle of moving so...

Nice.
Could you share settings?
It is possible to automatically send choosen aplications to choosen desktops?

Last edited by akemrir (2014-07-04 18:47:08)

Offline

#312 2014-07-07 10:37:40

enssorcel
Member
Registered: 2014-07-07
Posts: 2

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

Hey guys, first post 'cos I've been browsing through for a bit but would like some info on a few of your setups.

I'm using manjaro openbox but planned to use i3 in the end anyway (I just wanted an easy setup) so sorry if these questions aren't relevant:

- Everyone here has this Arch logo in the command line followed by info thing e.g. http://i.imgur.com/ndGL1Tc.jpg , what's this all about? (Top right of screenshot)
- What terminal emulators are everyone using? They all look similar (sorry if they're completely different, but you seem to have gone for the similar looks), I especially like Pacha+ 's and GSF1200S 's transparent terminals which look like one big window, any tips on how to do this? GSF1200S you have gnome-terminal as your $mod+enter in your config but I can't seem to configure my gnome terminal to look like yours.
- Manjaro has some pretty gross default colours, but the colour guide on their wiki talks about gtk themes which I don't appear to have. How can I change the colours highlighting, text, etc.
- Some people appear to have "widgets" (sorry if this is wrong, best word I can think of) on their desktop? How is this possible in i3, is it conky?
- it may just be the style of editor, but a lot of you appear to be using a command line text editor: which are you using?

Thanks, sorry for the barrage of questions, I promise to share my screenshots once I set it up smile

Last edited by enssorcel (2014-07-07 10:45:22)

Offline

#313 2014-07-07 13:13:51

x33a
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 3,189
Website

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

enssorcel wrote:

Hey guys, first post 'cos I've been browsing through for a bit but would like some info on a few of your setups.

I'm using manjaro openbox but planned to use i3 in the end anyway (I just wanted an easy setup) so sorry if these questions aren't relevant:

You'll find everything you are looking for, with a little bit of effort searching. But I'll answer your questions, since I am feeling bored wink

- Everyone here has this Arch logo in the command line followed by info thing e.g. http://i.imgur.com/ndGL1Tc.jpg , what's this all about? (Top right of screenshot)

As you can see in the screenshot itself, it is called archey. Archey and similar tools give a nicely formatted output of your system configuration. Here are a few of them: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sc … tion_Tools

- What terminal emulators are everyone using? They all look similar (sorry if they're completely different, but you seem to have gone for the similar looks)

Most Arch users use urxvt. But most terminal emulators can be made to look like each other wink

- Manjaro has some pretty gross default colours, but the colour guide on their wiki talks about gtk themes which I don't appear to have. How can I change the colours highlighting, text, etc.

It depends on the terminal emulator and the application. You'll need to research it, as extensive information is available on this subject.

- Some people appear to have "widgets" (sorry if this is wrong, best word I can think of) on their desktop? How is this possible in i3, is it conky?

Are you referring to the bar at the top (or sometimes at the bottom) of the screens? If yes, then firstly i3 has an integrated bar which can display information gathered from different applications including i3status, conky, etc. Then there are standalone bars such as bar or dzen2, as well.

- it may just be the style of editor, but a lot of you appear to be using a command line text editor: which are you using?

From what I have seen, most Arch Linux users use Vim, though many use emacs and others as well.

Offline

#314 2014-07-07 13:31:20

ANOKNUSA
Member
Registered: 2010-10-22
Posts: 2,141

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

enssorcel wrote:

I'm using manjaro openbox but planned to use i3 in the end anyway (I just wanted an easy setup) so sorry if these questions aren't relevant:

Users of other operating systems can participate in discussions and ask basic questions such as yours on the Arch forums, but know that you won't be getting any technical support here. Just a heads-up.

Offline

#315 2014-07-08 13:55:00

enssorcel
Member
Registered: 2014-07-07
Posts: 2

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

x33a wrote:
enssorcel wrote:

Hey guys, first post 'cos I've been browsing through for a bit but would like some info on a few of your setups.

I'm using manjaro openbox but planned to use i3 in the end anyway (I just wanted an easy setup) so sorry if these questions aren't relevant:

You'll find everything you are looking for, with a little bit of effort searching. But I'll answer your questions, since I am feeling bored wink

- Everyone here has this Arch logo in the command line followed by info thing e.g. http://i.imgur.com/ndGL1Tc.jpg , what's this all about? (Top right of screenshot)

As you can see in the screenshot itself, it is called archey. Archey and similar tools give a nicely formatted output of your system configuration. Here are a few of them: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sc … tion_Tools

- What terminal emulators are everyone using? They all look similar (sorry if they're completely different, but you seem to have gone for the similar looks)

Most Arch users use urxvt. But most terminal emulators can be made to look like each other wink

- Manjaro has some pretty gross default colours, but the colour guide on their wiki talks about gtk themes which I don't appear to have. How can I change the colours highlighting, text, etc.

It depends on the terminal emulator and the application. You'll need to research it, as extensive information is available on this subject.

- Some people appear to have "widgets" (sorry if this is wrong, best word I can think of) on their desktop? How is this possible in i3, is it conky?

Are you referring to the bar at the top (or sometimes at the bottom) of the screens? If yes, then firstly i3 has an integrated bar which can display information gathered from different applications including i3status, conky, etc. Then there are standalone bars such as bar or dzen2, as well.

- it may just be the style of editor, but a lot of you appear to be using a command line text editor: which are you using?

From what I have seen, most Arch Linux users use Vim, though many use emacs and others as well.

Thanks for your very quick reply, sorry for not responding as fast but I wanted to make this post count by attaching some screenshots.

I think I may have fixed the green manjaro colours by simply applying the numix theme in lxappearance, and thanks for pointing me to archey, I'm now using it for screenshotting.

I sure can tell why everyone uses urxvt, it didn't strike me as particularly great at first but with a bit of searching I've found it's extremely customizable, extremely fast (it takes no time to cat huge txt files) and has an extremely small memory footprint, so thanks a lot for that recommendation too.

I was talking more specifically about the windows and bars which appeared to be part of the desktop, but I think lots of these are conky as you say but lots of users here have remove i3 borders and window title bars which tricked me into thinking they were some kind of widget when in fact they were just floating a window.

ANOKNUSA wrote:
enssorcel wrote:

I'm using manjaro openbox but planned to use i3 in the end anyway (I just wanted an easy setup) so sorry if these questions aren't relevant:

Users of other operating systems can participate in discussions and ask basic questions such as yours on the Arch forums, but know that you won't be getting any technical support here. Just a heads-up.

Thanks for notifying me of this, I'll be sure not to post anything manjaro specific.

Anyway, here goes. I've used some bits and pieces from this thread so thanks for that:

Clean
14601400401_7716378707_o.jpg

Dirty
14624723883_e5a0b7f463_o.jpg

I'm not up to the CLI wizardy of most of you here so I've been using nano so far, I'll learn vim when I have the chance. Also I'd only just installed MC, don't actually know how to use it yet. This thing still needs some tweaking, I used a bit of a mix of colours so although I quite like most of the pastel theme I've got going on, there are some bits which just don't work (text unreadable) or don't look that great (the MC colours a bit too "nice" for me at the moment).

Last edited by enssorcel (2014-07-08 13:58:02)

Offline

#316 2014-07-15 18:06:23

viggee
Member
Registered: 2011-05-07
Posts: 22

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

i3 solarized to the death. Really proud of it, just switched from awesome and could configure i3 in less than a day in the same way as my old awesome setup. Desktop shows random(!) Ari Gold quotes, just so you know, haha.

fvCGBKcs.png

VLwvMTes.png

8cEWJSds.png

Last edited by viggee (2014-07-15 18:08:21)

Offline

#317 2014-07-15 18:57:20

HenriqueNunnes
Member
Registered: 2013-03-29
Posts: 41

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

@viggee

Oh man could you share yours configs. I'm searching about how to put "icons" in my I3bar.

Tks,

Henrique

Last edited by HenriqueNunnes (2014-07-15 19:50:02)

Offline

#318 2014-07-15 19:27:28

viggee
Member
Registered: 2011-05-07
Posts: 22

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

Sure, will do as soon as I'm having a real internet connection again. I usually backup my config on github anyway. It's just a bit tedious over usb tethering right now, but I will post them here in a couple of days.

Until then: The icons are actually a special symbolic font (i think it is even in the i3 arch wiki page), you can see the available icons in evince in one of the screenshots. I use py3status as a status bar. Works really nice and it's real easy to write your own modules. But as I said I will upload my custom ones soon and post them here.

Offline

#319 2014-07-17 17:53:52

viggee
Member
Registered: 2011-05-07
Posts: 22

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

Offline

#320 2014-07-21 18:53:16

HenriqueNunnes
Member
Registered: 2013-03-29
Posts: 41

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

@viggee

Thank you man! I'll try do the same and understand how the py3status works.

Cheers,

Henrique

Offline

#321 2014-07-23 22:41:31

tigrezno
Member
Registered: 2004-05-10
Posts: 64

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

[edited] links didn't work

Last edited by tigrezno (2014-08-07 14:50:30)

Offline

#322 2014-07-25 12:11:29

neil
Member
Registered: 2014-07-25
Posts: 1

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

I-sty...like the colors in dirty...like the eyecandy in clean wink.....

Offline

#323 2014-07-26 11:09:41

grandtheftjiujitsu
Member
From: Georgia, USA
Registered: 2013-07-27
Posts: 80
Website

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

Here's my most recent - It was time to change up my color scheme.

I had a real stooge moment this morning.  It took me ~5 months of using i3 to realize that the reason I couldn't get multiple workspaces on my laptop screen was because I hadn't added the appropriate keybindings to the config file roll

*Configs on my GitHub

Last edited by grandtheftjiujitsu (2014-07-31 02:13:04)

Offline

#324 2014-07-27 11:59:47

jv2112
Member
Registered: 2011-07-23
Posts: 154

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

grandtheftjiujitsu wrote:

Here's my most recent - It was time to change up my color scheme.

I had a real stooge moment this morning.  It took me ~5 months of using i3 to realize that the reason I couldn't get multiple workspaces on my laptop screen was because I hadn't added the appropriate keybindings to the config file roll


Love that wallpaper. Mind Sharing ?


Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. Isaac Asimov - / -  My Pastebin

Offline

#325 2014-07-28 01:54:30

grandtheftjiujitsu
Member
From: Georgia, USA
Registered: 2013-07-27
Posts: 80
Website

Re: i3 desktop screenshots and config sharing

jv2112 wrote:

Love that wallpaper. Mind Sharing ?

Not at all

*updated link - found image's origins on our very own forums

Last edited by grandtheftjiujitsu (2014-07-28 19:32:01)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB