You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-17 16:25:14

viniosity
Website

Program idea

I wanted to start coding something that I'd eventually release as open source.  The plan is to write an app that mounts a usb device (like a PSP) and then stuff it with a combination of music, photos, and videos kind of like the pspshuffle application which is unfortunately windows only.

Think that might be something people besides me would use?  What framework/language should I ideally do that in?

#2 2006-02-17 17:04:43

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Program idea

viniosity: I could easily find use for a program like that when loading my MP3 player.  Sounds like a good idea to me.
As far as an ideal language, the idea seems generic enough that I don't see any one language being better for the task than another... at least none stand out in my mind as being "the best."   I'd suggest you stick with what you're most comfortable with, and work with it.  *nod*

#3 2006-02-17 17:19:21

Chman
Website

Yep, I would be interested smile

About the language... Use what you want smile
Python + Glade can give very nice results...

#4 2006-02-18 08:18:04

codemac
Website

Neat idea!  This could be done in many ways, from the bash script level all the way up to the Python + Glade level.  I think the best way to choose a language is knowing what you want the user experience to be.

Best of luck, and keep us up on where you get.

#5 2006-02-18 12:26:40

dust
Website

While a bash script could do the job, I'm assuming that over time you'd want to extend this applications capabilities, or at least use it as a base for a larger project. If that is the case, I would suggest a more easily extended solution. Python + Glade sounds like the best idea imo. I'm a Ruby guy at heart, but Python is more mature, and being new to application developement, you'll appreciate the wide variety of ready to use libraries at your disposal. Also, Python's rigid 'one way to do it' design makes it easier to keep consistency in your developement, and thus a smoother ride from start -> finish.

Writing stories for a machine.

#6 2006-02-20 14:49:31

viniosity
Website

I'm actually learning Ruby on Rails right now.  It's going slowly for me as some of the basic concepts haven't yet been grasped.  Using Ruby would thus be great if it could be done that way.  I was under the impression that Ruby (or at least RonR) would be best suited for web apps.  Could Ruby alone be used for a linux desktop app?

And yes, you're right, at some point it would get extended..

#7 2006-02-20 17:29:14

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/

Ruby has bindings for many widget sets. Fox, gtk, and I am pretty sure qt. Never used any of them though..so I don't know.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2006-02-20 18:05:08

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

emm sounds like something a file manager could do  :?

like python + gtk would be kinda cool....

But everyone knows Ruby rocks!!!!!!!

Mr Green

#9 2006-02-21 05:35:45

iphitus
Forum Fellow

hehe, thats cool. I'd use that on my ipod.  Currently I have it setup to sync it's notes with sidenote, and am now settin it up to automatically sync podcasts big_smile

iphitus

Board footer