You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-12 15:55:20

malakas

make your own repository

Well my first install of arch was for testing.Now i have my second done and i kept all the packages from my /var/cache so i dont have to download again 250 MB of data.I read that you can make your own repository but i was a little undocument. so i tried to trial.These are the steps :

1) uncommeted the pacman.conf to look like this:

[custom]
Server = file:///root/rep/pkg

2)downloaded cvups
3)run abs script
4)gensync /var/abs/local /root/rep/pkg/custom.db.tar.gz
at this stage i am getting an error:
tar:*:cannot stat:no such file

Can someone tell me what am i doing wrong?Please if you feel so make a mini step-by-step make your own repository guide!
thanks
wink

#2 2004-02-12 17:23:12

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: make your own repository

Do you want a repo for your custom packages?  Or do you just not want to have to download all your packages again?

If it's a custom repo you want, then you're no the right track but you're running into problems.

If you just want to not have to download things again, then just make sure those pkg files are in your /var/cache/pacman/pkg directory when you're going to pacman -S something.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-02-12 19:10:35

lanrat

Maybe it is just that you don't have anything in /var/abs/local ? Local repos are good for building and maintaining your own packages. Gensync command produces a database of packages built from PKGBUILDS in /var/abs/local (in your case) - this is of course a very short explanation.
If you really want to build your own packages then abs, man pacman, man makepkg is pretty everything you need to know to begin (and that's one of arch's treasures :-)).
But I suppose you do not understand the difference between local repo with own (built by yourself) packages and cache (nor repo) of packages downloaded via pacman from official repos (and turs, and....).

#4 2004-02-12 19:37:44

malakas

well i think i didnt want to download my packages again.So i will place them in /var/pacman......
Thanks to all!

#5 2004-02-12 19:58:42

malakas

no luck.I have placed the packages in the /var/cache/pacman/pkg
gave for example pacman -S pine but it started to download them from current or somewhere else depending on the package.
Any suggestions? maybe i am giving the wrong parameter at pacman!

#6 2004-02-12 20:34:56

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If there is a newer package then it has to download it again i.e. if you downloaded kde 3.1.2 and since then kde 3.2 has come out, it will still have to download 3.2.  Check to make sure that it's not downloading the same versions by checking the package names in /var/cache/pacman/pkg.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer