You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-04 03:20:08

ultraviolet
Banned
Website

Industrial I/O Subsystem: Why isn't it included in the Arch kernel?

i have a Lenovo ThinkPad Helix, which has a multi-sensor hub attached to a magnetometer, gyroscope, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, and possibly others. it uses the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution sensor hub, which works through the kernel driver "hid-sensor-hub". this driver is included with the stock Arch kernel, and it loads automatically and lists attached sensors in the appropriate location under /sys/bus/hid/. however, while all of its attached sensors are supported in the kernel, their respective drivers (such as "hid-sensor-als", "hid-sensor-accel-3d", "hid-sensor-gyro-3d") are not compiled and included as modules by default, and nor is the iio (industrial i/o) subsystem they rely upon. as more and more computers (especially ultraportable convertibles and tablets) include sensor hubs of this type, also driven by iio-reliant drivers, i feel that the iio subsystem should be supported in the stock Arch kernel.

here are a couple examples of what i'm referring to, on other devices: a mention of arch's omission of these drivers and ubuntu clearly has this working fine

is there any particular reason this isn't included, or is it just a matter of "nobody's needed it"? what would be the correct avenue by which to request its addition to the standard Arch kernel config?

thanks, uv

--ultraviolet
                         my Arch machines:
Len = Lenovo ThinkPad T61 | 3dot = Toshiba Satellite C655-S5125 | Helicoid = Lenovo ThinkPad Helix | Vladimir = Custom Desktop | many others

#2 2014-07-04 03:27:54

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Industrial I/O Subsystem: Why isn't it included in the Arch kernel?

ultraviolet wrote:

what would be the correct avenue by which to request its addition to the standard Arch kernel config?

You file a feature request on the bug tracker.

#3 2014-07-04 04:01:33

ultraviolet
Banned
Website

Scimmia wrote:
ultraviolet wrote:

what would be the correct avenue by which to request its addition to the standard Arch kernel config?

You file a feature request on the bug tracker.

thanks, i've now done that.

--ultraviolet
                         my Arch machines:
Len = Lenovo ThinkPad T61 | 3dot = Toshiba Satellite C655-S5125 | Helicoid = Lenovo ThinkPad Helix | Vladimir = Custom Desktop | many others

#4 2014-07-04 05:46:15

ewaller
Administrator

I assume you have built your own kernel with custom modules enabled in the mean time.  I do that all the time and it really is a snap.  It is only intimidating the first time smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2014-07-06 22:30:04

ultraviolet
Banned
Website

ewaller wrote:

I assume you have built your own kernel with custom modules enabled in the mean time.  I do that all the time and it really is a snap.  It is only intimidating the first time smile

i hadn't gotten around to it, but i just did... everything is working great. i made a PKGBUILD for iioutils (containing lsiio, the iio counterpart to lspci/lsusb), it's in the AUR now.

--ultraviolet
                         my Arch machines:

Board footer