You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-04 20:53:17

nstgc

Can btrfs "lose" specific files? If so, how would I find out which?

I'm currently using using 3.14.2-dirty as my version of btrfs with kernel 3.15.2 (holding off a day or two to see if any major issues pop up with 3.15.3). Its in a raid1 configuration involving three partitions on three drives on three different SATA III controllers. I occasionally (~bimonthly) scrub this partition so as to
make sure that silent corruption doesn't sneak up on me.

While I have off-line back-ups of my data (as I understand that btrfs can blow up in my face at anytime) the actual structure will be completely different since things have been rearranged to accommodate the process of archiving data (as opposed to merely having a back up which is more cluttered, and less permanent). As such, while its true that I have other copies of the data, figuring out what data is missing is an issue. As it is, I'm not even sure if any data is missing.

I'm currently processing the data on my hard drives for archiving onto blu-ray discs. I had prepared some folders to be written to ISOs before creating ecc data and then burning. I went back today to make some final checks and noticed that one of the directors, which was one of the first created, didn't have the ~25GB of data that it should have, but rather ~18GB. While its possible that I made a mistake, it seems unlikely.

[edit] Scrubbing just completed without errors.

[edit2] I just remembered that I was in the process of prep'ing something that would fit in that 9GB space, and just never got around to moving it into its spot. I would normally mark this as "[solved]" However the question is still valid, even though the specific situation has been solved.

Last edited by nstgc (2014-07-04 23:05:09)

Board footer