You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-12 14:07:54

Moo-Crumpus

new iso with little tweaks (include 2.6.2 kernel, xfs)

Will it be possible to tweak the arch iso files, to have little newer techniques? I think of

- include 2.6.2 Kernel on the iso
- add possiblility to make xfs partitions during installation

I think these changes are not to hard.

Actually, I am asking because I just dropped in a trap trying to copy /proc/events from reiserfs to xfs partitions ... crap. My failure, how should it move or copy files that are still corresponding to my actions. I will retry it today, but I think, the fast arch could be even faster on xfs. The new 2.6.2 Kernel would be nice, becouse it is just the best choice.

If one answers me, this will be available soon, I'd wait for it, and I'd be your first beta tester.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2004-02-12 16:21:45

sarah31
Website

Re: new iso with little tweaks (include 2.6.2 kernel, xfs)

i think the plan was to have a choice of 2.4.2x or 2.6.x at install. while many would say just have the 2.6 kernel it is still very green in many ways and some devices supported in the 2.4 series kernel are not working properly yet in 2.6.  the wisest thing would be to still have the option of which to install.

xfs .... well it is doable but going by the distros which support xfs it seems that it may require a separate xfs iso.  i dunno about this for sure though. i am also not sure how well it is working with 2.6 kernels (well maybe not xfs itself but it's tools)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-02-12 16:44:16

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

These should both be supported when 0.6 is released.

About copying filesystems you can use something like 'tar -czl / | tar -xz' to copy all of the root filesystem (and no other filesystems) to your current directory.  I'm sure that there are others for cp and similar tools.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-02-13 12:53:58

Moo-Crumpus

Funy thing was, while I switched the system part by part, I saw the devicenames braking. The devfs - names no longer worked, I had to switch to the common name convention, f.e. /dev/sdd1 instead of /dev/discs/disc4/part1.

I had to change the grub menu.lst , the fstab, and after I finally managed the last partition to run xfs, the system imploded with a bunch of error messages. I guess, several parts of arch are written to use devfs device names, and will not work without. Nevertheless, untill imploding it was well behaving, very quick and smooth (2.6.2 with xfs).  Arch and xfs or jfs will be a very nice couple.

Therefore, I use reiserfs instead, allthough I don't like it's high cpu usage.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#5 2004-02-13 15:53:16

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Some partitions you just don't want to copy.  /dev is one, /proc is another, /tmp a third.  All of these filesystems are dynamic (at least in arch, /tmp is dynamic) so aren't needed from any old systems.  That's where you ran into problems.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer