You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-03 02:21:17

Shadow_Reaper13

[SOLVED] Plymouth won't work anymore

Hi, I don't know id this is the correct category but well, Here we go:

I'm having an issue with Plymouth since a couple of days: It does not work at all.
It does not show up neither at startup nor at shutdown, the only thing on screen is text detailing the startup or shutdown process. Even when I try to test it doing this:

plymouthd
plymouth --show-splash

Nothing happens.

This started to happen a couple days ago, after I reinstalled my kernel with the Arch iso because of this issue

I don't know how could this affect Plymouth, but now it doesn't work at all.

Heres my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file
My /etc/default/grub

I obviusly tried to rebuild the initrd using

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

To see if that could resolve my problem but it didn't.

I even downgraded to the previous kernel to see if it's was some kind of kernel-related issue but that didn't work too so I reinstalled the latest kernel 3.15.2-1-ARCH.
I've even tried reinstalling plymouth just to see it was useless because the issue is still there.

Any light on this will be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Shadow_Reaper13

EDIT: Here's my plymouth-debug.log

Last edited by Shadow_Reaper13 (2014-07-07 19:20:16)

#2 2014-07-04 21:21:55

Phitherek_
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Plymouth won't work anymore

The same goes for me. Here is my plymouth-debug.log:

https://gist.github.com/Phitherek/cabd790c63041104cec8

I do not have KMS because I am using catalyst/fglrx driver, but I have an emulated framebuffer device with v86d module. Does anyone know about this issue?

Last edited by Phitherek_ (2014-07-04 21:25:31)

Posted by Phitherek_

#3 2014-07-05 01:57:20

Shadow_Reaper13

UPDATE:

I know this may be irrelevant, but I tried to see if Plymouth would work by changing the theme to another one (I switched form spinfinity to arch-logo) but that didn't work neither.

Also to generate the plymouth-debug.log file I had to add the "plymouth:debug" parameter to the kernel command line, and when the system was booting the Plymouth splash showed up for about 2-3 seconds. I added this parameter by editing the menu entry with the grub editor so I didn't touched the /etc/default/grub file to do this.

#4 2014-07-05 02:49:41

Shadow_Reaper13

I found something else, in this bug report There's another issue with Plymouth which seems to be caused by a forced fsck which can be done like this:

sudo touch /forcefsck

I did this as you can see on the first link in my first post, so I'm 99% sure this have something to do with the issue I'm having.
While the issue seems to be slightly different, the problem is the same: The splash screen does not show up.
I hope this help out troubleshooting the problem. I will search a bit more to see if there is something else I can try. I will also try again the fsck to see if this solves anything.

#5 2014-07-07 02:29:54

Shadow_Reaper13

Shadow_Reaper13 wrote:

I found something else, in this bug report There's another issue with Plymouth which seems to be caused by a forced fsck which can be done like this:

sudo touch /forcefsck

I did this as you can see on the first link in my first post, so I'm 99% sure this have something to do with the issue I'm having.
While the issue seems to be slightly different, the problem is the same: The splash screen does not show up.
I hope this help out troubleshooting the problem. I will search a bit more to see if there is something else I can try. I will also try again the fsck to see if this solves anything.

Well, doing the fsck again didn't changed anything at all. Anyone out there willing to help please?

#6 2014-07-07 19:19:07

Shadow_Reaper13

Well I finally solved this by downgrading Plymouth from the last version (0.9.0) to the previous version (0.8.8). I did this by modifying the PKGBUILD from this:

pkgver=0.9.0
pkgrel=4

to this:

pkgver=0.8.8
pkgrel=7

Additionally I changed the first md5sum which corresponded to the 0.9.0 package with the md5sum of the version I was installing.
Also I disabled the second patch in the prepare() and applied it manually since it gave an error when yaourt was trying to apply it. After those modifications I was able to downgrade Plymouth and after a "sudo mkinitcpio -p linux" and a reboot it is working again is usual.

Im marking this as solved.

P.D: I found the solution in this thread

Board footer