You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-09 21:24:58

karol
Archivist

[solved] How many active forum users are there?

Currently there are:

Total number of registered users: 55,818
Registered users online: 19
Guests online: 387
(numbers taken from the bottom of https://bbs.archlinux.org/ )

What about active users? How many forum members / guests have posted / visited the forum in the last 30 / 90 days?
Does fluxbb have an option to track this?

I'm simply curious how many Archers use the forums in an active manner, and neither the total user count nor the number of users and guests at some point in time can show this.

Last edited by karol (2014-07-21 17:32:56)

#2 2014-07-09 22:53:59

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [solved] How many active forum users are there?

Since 2014-06-01, there have been 5304 unique visitors logged into the forums.  Assuming I did my arithmetic correctly.   I can do Calculus with complex numbers, but multiplication vexes me sad

I have no tools that tell how many visitors who did not log in have been by.

Edit: Extending that out to three months only picks up another 60 or so members There is that math issue.  Lets try around 9000 in the last three months
Edit:  Around 14,050 so far this year.

Last edited by ewaller (2014-07-09 23:13:04)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-07-09 23:16:51

karol
Archivist

Thank you very much :-)

Statistics for the wiki are much worse, but we count only users who made at lest one edit: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Statistics

Edit: We now have 50k packages in the AUR :-)
With almost 25k AUR users it shouldn't be hard to keep them in good shape.

Last edited by karol (2014-07-09 23:26:30)

#4 2014-07-10 02:11:35

kynikos
Wiki Admin

karol wrote:

Statistics for the wiki are much worse, but we count only users who made at lest one edit: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Statistics.

"Worse" as in "there are less active users" or as in "there's not enough tracked data"? In the latter case I'm maintaining that table with my bot, so I can start tracking some other value if needed. About page views, the wiki engine itself was tracking them as well, but then after a MediaWiki update a couple of years ago they were deliberately disabled for some reason sad (Maybe we could ask to re-enable them if we're enough users interested)

#5 2014-07-10 02:32:31

karol
Archivist

"Worse" as in "there are less active users" (both in absolute numbers and relative to the total number of registered wiki users), but we're comparing apples to oranges, as the forum tracks logged-in members (not ones that posted) and the wiki ones that edited an article.
I think I should have said that 'numbers for the wiki are much worse'.

In black-and-white terms, I think forum is for fun, wiki is like work. Seems few people like having an extra job ;P
Maintainers are needed in both places, but wiki articles won't update and expand themselves.

#6 2014-07-10 03:03:45

kynikos
Wiki Admin

Got it (I have fun in the wiki big_smile)

#7 2014-07-10 06:08:04

x33a
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

What about active users? How many forum members / guests have posted / visited the forum in the last 30 / 90 days?

[snip]

I'm simply curious how many Archers use the forums in an active manner, and neither the total user count nor the number of users and guests at some point in time can show this.

I guess the "active" part is the actual issue here. How will you define active? Some users will register and then post only a few times, and then never return. Some users post every few months, but are otherwise inactive.

If you consider only the users who regularly log in and post, say approximately 10 posts / week, I would guess that there should be less than 500 users that fit that criteria.

Note: I am only talking about logged in users.

Last edited by x33a (2014-07-10 06:09:11)

#8 2014-07-10 08:02:36

karol
Archivist

The problem with counting posts or wiki edits is that posting a stupid question is "valued" the same as posting a great answer. You can remove a closed discussion on some talk page or update an article - it's one edit each.
I think most active wiki users make <30 edits a year.

I know that some websites, like reddit or stackexchange use some sort of algorithm awarding points of some kind. Maybe somebody who knows more about it can say if it's really working out, but I don't want to drag the thread OT ;-P

#9 2014-07-10 08:56:36

clfarron4
Website

karol wrote:

Edit: We now have 50k packages in the AUR :-)
With almost 25k AUR users it shouldn't be hard to keep them in good shape.

Really? That makes me feel greedy with all the kernel packages I keep in there.

x33a wrote:

If you consider only the users who regularly log in and post, say approximately 10 posts / week, I would guess that there should be less than 500 users that fit that criteria.

Note: I am only talking about logged in users.

Yeah. Moderators aside, I think we could probably start reeling off names of people that post regularly (but having a nice automated way of doing it would be nice).

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#10 2014-07-10 10:48:17

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

I've made myself a script to get some more interesting wiki stats:

(in all stats, bots and blocked users excluded)
- There are 70 users with more than 500 edits in total, 32 with more than 1000 edits and 2 with more than 10K edits. Nobody made it to 20K yet sad
- There are 55 users with at least one edit per day in average (since registration date), 42 of them have been active in the last 30 days. Only one user makes more than 10 edits per day (guess who it is wink).
- Of the 462 active users, 239 registered before 2014.

Unfortunately the API does not provide information like number of non-minor edits, amount of added/deleted text in bytes etc. These would be more relevant numbers.

#11 2014-07-10 17:00:45

x33a
Forum Fellow

@ lahwaacz,

you have a minor typo in the README of the above script's repository.

python-equests should be python-requests.

#12 2014-07-10 17:38:57

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Thanks. I should set up some spell checker for vim.

#13 2014-07-10 21:38:46

Awebb

Let's use this thread to check in and say: "I'm active." every time we post something else.

#14 2014-07-10 21:48:10

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Awebb wrote:

Let's use this thread to check in and say: "I'm active." every time we post something else.

Let's not.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#15 2014-07-11 01:03:01

lucke

Let me just remark, somewhat off-topic, that it is interesting to observe how the regulars change - there were many people that got quite many posts and stopped visiting (regularly); some of them became moderators, moderated for some years and then mostly disappeared from the bbs.

Hm, I guess the oldest person registration-wise that I still see around is tomk (hey, tomk!). I'm pretty sure tpowa (hey, tpowa!) was a dev when I was starting using Arch, I'm not sure if any other dev was around in the second half of 2004 (some of the people on the list of developers have surely been using or developing Arch for a long time).

Hey, I don't like posting such posts - I think they contain information which may be interesting for someone somewhere, but they aren't quite on-topic.

#16 2014-07-11 01:30:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

lucke wrote:

Let me just remark, somewhat off-topic, that it is interesting to observe how the regulars change - there were many people that got quite many posts and stopped visiting (regularly); some of them became moderators, moderated for some years and then mostly disappeared from the bbs.

Hm, I guess the oldest person registration-wise that I still see around is tomk (hey, tomk!). I'm pretty sure tpowa (hey, tpowa!) was a dev when I was starting using Arch, I'm not sure if any other dev was around in the second half of 2004 (some of the people on the list of developers have surely been using or developing Arch for a long time).

Hey, I don't like posting such posts - I think they contain information which may be interesting for someone somewhere, but they aren't quite on-topic.

Guilty as charged smile I do stay logged-in and check in about twice a week, but hardly participate anymore. So I'd be counted in the above stats but I highly doubt anyone would consider me a currently active user.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#17 2014-07-30 16:15:10

karol
Archivist

I went through top 200 posters' forum profiles, looking for some dotfiles etc. and also I checked how many of them posted at least 75 times [1] this year.
I know such "metric' doesn't mean much / anything [2], but anyway ... Turns out 55 of these 200 fulfilled such requirement, so they can be counted as at least "somewhat active" at this point in time.

[1] I use 75 posts-per-page setting, so it was easy to just go to the bottom of the page ;P
[2] Should posts in off-topic count? Why set the bar 75 posts in almost 7 months? etc.

Board footer