You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-10 11:30:11

frazer

[SOLVED] Network manager in Gnome

Hello everyone,

My journey has been a bit of a slow one with Arch.

I have tinkered with it whilst using Fedora 20 with Gnome on my main machines.

However, recently, I have finally had the courage to convert my main PC to Arch from Fedora, and, am using the Gnome desktop.

I am in awe of Arch!

My problem lies in utilising the Network Manager found via Gnome/Settings

I have installed (pacman -S) networkmanager (I think that it may have been part of the base package anyhow - but re-installed) and network-manager-applet, however, when I open Gnome/Settings/Network I get the error "The system network services are not compatible with this version."

I have found this GUI for networking really handy in the past, and wondered if there is a way to get it up and running please?

Many thanks for any help.

Frazer

As an edit - I did try to restart networkmanager after reading some old posts -  but they were not using systemctl:

[root@master fitz]# systemctl restart networkmanager.service
Failed to restart networkmanager.service: Unit networkmanager.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

Last edited by frazer (2014-07-13 14:15:25)

#2 2014-07-10 13:31:08

ooo

Re: [SOLVED] Network manager in Gnome

frazer wrote:

[root@master fitz]# systemctl restart networkmanager.service
Failed to restart networkmanager.service: Unit networkmanager.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

the command should be

systemctl restart NetworkManager

#3 2014-07-10 20:02:42

frazer

Fantastic - thank you - I have NetworkManager.service up and running now.

May I ask the standard network services that are in the base Arch install so that I may disable and un-install them - I have read through the beginners guide and googled it - but there is only mention of dhcpcd - I am having trouble finding the service that I am currently using before starting NetworkManager.

Once I start NetworkManager, I am unable to get a wired connection and address - with or without disabling dhcpcd.service.

I can get an internet connection by using a static IP address via NetworkManager, but, I don't want to be leaving a 'mess' behind me and want to clean up whatever was providing network connection previously.

Many thanks,

Frazer

Last edited by frazer (2014-07-10 20:30:30)

#4 2014-07-10 21:42:53

ooo

afaik there are no network tools in base.

netctl is an arch native project and used in the arch iso, but you shouldn't have it unless you've explicitly installed it.

EDIT: apparently things have changed or I remembered wrong, but netctl is part of base after all

Last edited by ooo (2014-07-10 21:47:28)

#5 2014-07-11 08:42:45

surfatwork

You dont need to uninstall netctl. Onthe contrary, I recommend keeping it around because I have had more than one occasion when NetworkManager packed up. I finally dropped NM in favor of netctl, which is faster and lighter.
Just run systemctl disable netctl and it wont start up.

#6 2014-07-13 14:14:52

frazer

Fantastic answers and some great advice for the future.

Thank you very much.

Frazer.

Board footer