You are not logged in.

#1301 2014-06-02 00:49:16

Stebalien
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

nonah wrote:

BSPWM does not handle focus correctly in some cases (Java).

When, for example, IntellijIdea pops up the settings view, you can still focus the main window. In this case IntellijIdea simply crashes, since (I presume) the program has requested focus on the settings window.

In Windows, trying to interact with the main window would play an error sound. And in i3 it simply doesn't focus that window.

How to reproduce:
Open IntellijIdea, and open Settings. Then try to interact with the main IntellijIdea window again. This causes the program to hang.

I assume this could affect other programs as well.

That would explain a lot... Probably this: https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=177

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#1302 2014-06-12 03:46:34

instantepiphany

I am having trouble replicating xmonads "dynamic desktop" feature for lack of a better term. I don't recall if it was a default, or even included feature or not, but I had it setup so that when I pressed super + 2 it would display desktop 2 on the focused monitor, regardless of what monitor the desktop was on previously. I have replicated this *almost* perfectly, my only problem is that the bind won't actually focus the desktop, it will just pull it to the current monitor.

For example, if I have desktops a-d on M1, and desktop e on M2, if I focus M2, and press `super + ctrl + 1`, it *should* pull desktop a across to M2, and then focus it. It just doesn't focus it, and I then need to use `super + 1` which then focuses it. My relevant binds in sxhkd are:

##Xmonad like bindings

super + ctrl + {1-9}
    bspc desktop {main,web,doc,code,game,steam,util,media,emul} -m focused; \
    bspc monitor -o $(bspc query -D -m focused | sort -n | join -j1 ~/.config/bspwm/desktoporder - | sort -k2n |cut -d ' ' -f1 | tr '\n' ' '); \
    bspc desktop -f {main,web,doc,code,game,steam,util,media,emul}

super + {_,shift + }{1-9}
    bspc {desktop -f,window -d} {main,web,doc,code,game,steam,util,media,emul}

Note: the ugly sort/join/cut/tr code just sorts the desktops into the order that you see in my bindings.

EDIT: Fixed the issue, it was due to me not understanding that in sxhkd, the "{1-9}" only proliferates to the next line that uses it (my guess is its so that you can have multiple chords using different numbers of keys), so replacing my binding with:

super + ctrl + {1-9}
    DESKTOP={main,web,doc,code,game,steam,util,media,emul}; \
    bspc desktop $DESKTOP -m focused; \
    bspc monitor -o $(bspc query -D -m focused | sort -n | join -j1 ~/.config/bspwm/desktoporder - | sort -k2n |cut -d ' ' -f1 | tr '\n' ' '); \
    bspc desktop -f $DESKTOP

fixed the issue. I guess this really belonged in the sxhkd thread. Sorry!

Is there any way to "hardcode" the order that desktops display in when they are sent to $PANEL_FIFO? for example, currently I have desktops "game" and "steam" on my second monitor, and "main web doc code util media emul" on my main monitor. My ugly sort/join etc chain is *almost* what I want, but there is one problem.

For whatever reason, the main monitor, which is physically to the left of the secondary monitor, has its desktops listed last.
If I could hard code it to always output the desktops in a certain order, it would fix this problem ( and the desktops would display on the bar in an identical manner compared with xmonad). My sort/join/cut/tr commands help me with this, but I can only use them to sort desktops contained on one monitor, I can't sort all desktops regardless of monitor.

How can I go about doing this? Is there currently functionality within bspwm that I am just not aware of (I have looked) or do I need to do some magical shell scripting wizardry?

Last edited by instantepiphany (2014-06-12 04:09:20)

#1303 2014-06-15 15:38:20

cpoon

Is there any way to resize floating windows in more than one direction? as in if i press the hotkeys to resize it will always resize from left to right, any way to resize from right to left up down down up etc?

Thanks

#1304 2014-06-15 18:27:36

cju

cpoon wrote:

Is there any way to resize floating windows in more than one direction? as in if i press the hotkeys to resize it will always resize from left to right, any way to resize from right to left up down down up etc?

Using xdo for resizing, I don't think this is possible…

#1305 2014-06-15 18:38:19

cpoon

Thanks : ), yeah guess we can't have the best of both worlds, it is good as it is anyway, just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something, maybe one day someone will come up with some patch to allow it.

Cheers

#1306 2014-06-23 04:22:08

Cirdan

I'm having trouble getting bspwm to run. I followed the instructions from the wiki, and while X starts up and sxhkd seems to be running, bspwm doesn't seem to be working. I also can't open windows using they keys bound in the sxhkdrc (both super and Alt don't work). I have tried chmodding the files, but that doesn't seem to have had any affect. When I try running bspwm from the terminal window, it says "unable to execute configuration file." My config looks exactly like the one in the example, and my xinitrc looks like the example too. I get the same error when I explicitly set the config path using -c

#1307 2014-06-23 06:38:06

cju

Cirdan wrote:

When I try running bspwm from the terminal window, it says "unable to execute configuration file."

So; what's the output of `ls -l ~/.config/bspwm/bspwmrc`?

#1308 2014-06-24 00:17:56

Cirdan

cju wrote:

So; what's the output of `ls -l ~/.config/bspwm/bspwmrc`?

-rwxrwxrwx 1 cirdan audio 178 Jun 22 20:57 bspwmrc

Last edited by Cirdan (2014-06-24 00:18:13)

#1309 2014-06-24 10:05:09

cju

Cirdan wrote:

When I try running bspwm from the terminal window

Wait a second... "terminal window"? Does that mean you try to launch bspwm within a running X session?

#1310 2014-06-25 16:46:42

Cirdan

cju wrote:
Cirdan wrote:

When I try running bspwm from the terminal window

Wait a second... "terminal window"? Does that mean you try to launch bspwm within a running X session?

Yes, this was what I did:

Installed bspwm and sxhkd from AUR
Setup both configs according to the wiki
Added sxhkd & and bspwm to my .xinitrc
Rebooted

I was unable to open any windows, such as the terminal, with super+return. The wiki mentioned to try a different key, as sometimes the super key doesn't work. I changed the key to alt, and it still didn't work. I am in an active and working x session as I can still see my wallpaper set by nitrogen. I ran `pidof sxhkd` and did get a process id, so I'm guessing that sxhkd isn't reading the config file either.

I added urxvt to the .xinitrc as the wiki suggested. The wiki says that the terminal window should be taking up most of the screen space. In my case, it's taking up a small 320x240 window in the corner, which tells me that bspwm isn't running. So I tried running bspwm from the terminal instance so I could get an error readout. That's when it told me that it cannot execute the configuration. I did some searching around, double checked the configs to make sure it didn't get messed up between the copy and paste, and ran chmod 777 on both config files with no success.

#1311 2014-06-28 10:06:43

marcoscan

Hi all. using bspwm and lovin'it.
I can't think of a way to automatically remove the window border when I switch, in tiled mode, from two open windows to just one. In other words, I'd like to automatically switch from tiled to monocle mode (or obtain a borderless window still in tiled mode) when I have one single window left. I manage to do that when I open the first window in an empty desktop (using "bspc query -W -d"), but not when the desktop is already occupied.
I tried some rules and using "bspc control --subscribe", but nothing worked. Do you have any ideas?

#1312 2014-06-28 14:30:50

abner

flexo3001 wrote:

hey *,
ist somebody here using bitwig-studio or other java-stuff? the first bug i found in bspwm makes bitwig unusable. i can't start it through dmenu and drag-and-drop doesn't work. i tried it with herbstluft, i3 without these strange behaviour.
it occurs in floating (workspace or just window), with bspwm and  bspwm-git. it's a bit difficult to backtrace because of fukkin java.
thanks flexo

Did you ever find a solution for this? I experience the same thing, works perfectly with Awesome though.

#1313 2014-07-05 13:27:29

quiv

Quick question, is the follow=on/off command still supported? I had a brief look through the man page but couldn't find any mention of it. I ask because I have the following rule;

bspc rule -a Skype pseudo_tiled=on follow=off desktop=^5

in my bspwmrc file and I have skype set to start on boot through my xinitrc. However when I boot up the currently selected desktop is always on 5 not 1. If I add a bspc desktop -f ^1 in my xinitrc it seems to have no effect.

Last edited by quiv (2014-07-05 13:32:01)

#1314 2014-07-05 13:56:02

o_caino

quiv wrote:

Quick question, is the follow=on/off command still supported?

Yes, it is.
Try this setting

ignore_ewmh_focus
           Ignore EWMH focus requests coming from applications.

#1315 2014-07-06 07:11:12

quiv

o_caino wrote:
quiv wrote:

Yes, it is.
Try this setting

ignore_ewmh_focus

I tried this but it doesn't seem to work. The focus is still following to skype upon starting it.

»  bspwm -v                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ~

#1316 2014-07-09 10:24:00

flexo3001

abner wrote:
flexo3001 wrote:

hey *,
ist somebody here using bitwig-studio or other java-stuff? the first bug i found in bspwm makes bitwig unusable. i can't start it through dmenu and drag-and-drop doesn't work. i tried it with herbstluft, i3 without these strange behaviour.
it occurs in floating (workspace or just window), with bspwm and  bspwm-git. it's a bit difficult to backtrace because of fukkin java.
thanks flexo

Did you ever find a solution for this? I experience the same thing, works perfectly with Awesome though.

hey *,
no, nothing has changed. I'm using openjdk and export the WM-var with wmname LG3D. The fix to alter the openjdk isn't an option too since "cleverer" java-projects ships their own jre or you need the prop. jdk. The most problems i experienced with bspwm and java are with java-applications that ships their own jre (e.g. bitwig, jdownloader2). I checked the output of xprop from different programs (with and without own jre) but didn't found something significant (or i'm too stupid). Besides the floating of windows/workspaces is lately sluggish and a bit broken. Sometimes the windows are slipping around and then they are jerking while dragging them.

greetz,
flexo

Fight war not wars, destroy power not people!

#1317 2014-07-10 04:08:02

abner

flexo3001, thanks for the reply. Shame to hear that there doesn't seem to be any easy solution but sounds like it's not a simple matter at all. I've only just started playing with bspwm so I haven't noticed much of the other behaviour you mentioned. If you do happen to find a way around the issue with bitwig please post it here (or message me), I would be extremely interested if there is a fix somehow.
Thanks.

#1318 2014-07-10 04:11:15

rudylorren

Hello,  has the syntax for bspc config changed?  border width and window gap do not seem to be responding to changes in ~/.config/bspwm/bspwmrc

#1319 2014-07-10 05:45:01

o_caino

rudylorren wrote:

Hello,  has the syntax for bspc config changed?  border width and window gap do not seem to be responding to changes in ~/.config/bspwm/bspwmrc

Add (or reset) your desktops after setting border_width, window_gap and other options. https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm/bl … es/bspwmrc

Last edited by o_caino (2014-07-10 05:47:07)

#1320 2014-07-10 05:59:20

rudylorren

Oh joy smile

Thanks man, it works perfectly.

#1321 2014-07-10 11:51:22

bloom
Website

flexo3001 wrote:

I'm using openjdk and export the WM-var with wmname LG3D.

https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm/is … t-24108100

gh · da · ds

#1322 2014-07-10 17:28:01

flexo3001

bloom wrote:
flexo3001 wrote:

I'm using openjdk and export the WM-var with wmname LG3D.

https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm/is … t-24108100

jeah i saw after i wrote the post. using or not using wmname doesn't makes any difference except intellij works better.
peace out,
flexo

Last edited by flexo3001 (2020-05-28 21:47:11)

#1323 2014-07-10 17:49:01

flexo3001

abner wrote:

flexo3001, thanks for the reply. Shame to hear that there doesn't seem to be any easy solution but sounds like it's not a simple matter at all. I've only just started playing with bspwm so I haven't noticed much of the other behaviour you mentioned. If you do happen to find a way around the issue with bitwig please post it here (or message me), I would be extremely interested if there is a fix somehow.
Thanks.

hey,
i switched back to herbstluftwm. both aren't that different except the frame-concept in hlwm. but both are really awesome wm's.haha. i can't tell which one i loves more. so maybe this is an option for you too. (bitwig and the other unholy java-programs works fine for me)
peace out,
flexo

#1324 2014-07-13 11:56:28

Ploppz

On my laptop, there's suddenly an error with bspwm, and I'm kind of in a rush because I'm going away for a week tomorrow, taking my laptop with me, so I'd love to be able to use it before that. I first posted as a separate post, before I realized that it's a problem with bspwm:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1435240

#1325 2014-07-14 21:53:59

angelic_sedition
Website

o_caino wrote:
quiv wrote:

Yes, it is.
Try this setting

ignore_ewmh_focus

What is the intended behaviour of the follow option? I've tried testing it before but could never tell the difference between when I had it on or off. What I've inferred from this thread is that if follow is off for a program, the focus should not go to that program when starting it. Is that correct?

Board footer