You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-18 18:57:37

Neuro

Arch64 question

I know it has been asked numerous times. And yes, I've read the comment pointing me to the interview with Judd. And yes, I've listened to it. And from what I've heard, Judd only mentioned that it'll be merged pretty soon. Did I miss something?

I mean I'm really interested in it, since I love Arch and I'm thinking of buying a Turion laptop or a Athlon 64X2 desktop machine. I'd like to stick to Arch but wouldn't like to give up the 64bit processing power wink And as far as I've read, Arch64 as a standalone project lacks the infrastructure and maintainers to keep up with the changes in Arch.

So what will it be? Will it be an officially supported platform? Will we see a separate current64/testing64 with separate PKGBUILDS? Or will it be integrated more firmly? Like for example one PKGBUILD that's written in a way that it can be either used for building x86 and 64 packages?

Anyone could clarify this a bit? I mean if the merge (or something) is meant to happen pretty soon (as Judd suggested), the way it is meant to be carried out had had to be already decided some time ago.

#2 2006-02-18 19:23:43

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Arch64 question

There will be an IRC meeting tomorrow to discuss that:
#archlinux64 at 10:00 AM PST on Feb, 19th.           

There is also an arch-ports ML:
http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-ports

There are more info about the meeting in the ML archives.

Board footer