You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-10 20:15:59

lmello

Mozilla Firefox adoption of closed source DRM - a couple of questions

So I guess everybody knows about this by now.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Which Firefox version will begin to support it?
2. Will Adobe's latest version of Flash Player be integrated by default in Firefox so there will be no need of downloading the 'flashplugin' package?

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#2 2014-07-10 23:39:55

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Mozilla Firefox adoption of closed source DRM - a couple of questions

1. I don't know.
2. No. When EME support lands, Firefox will prompt you to download the decryption module when you go to a site like Netflix. There will only be proprietary plugins installed if you agree to this. And it won't be Flash, but a smaller Adobe program.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#3 2014-07-13 16:43:00

DMGrier

From my understanding half those plugins won't work for Linux anyway, example being the plugin needed to run Netflix is one which won't work with Linux. I could be wrong and might be but I was reading the EME support will be more beneficial for Windows and OS X users.

#4 2014-07-14 10:09:48

ijanos

1. You can follow this ticket: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1015800 it will be finished after every ticket in the "depends on" section will be closed.
2. Unlikely. Read the discussion in this ticket for more information from Mozilla employees: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=729481

#5 2014-08-07 03:40:06

MadmanRB

Actually from my understanding of this situation is that linux support may be in the works and it will be up to the end user to decide to enable said plugins.
A good evidence of this is the current build of firefox which only enables plugins when you click on things.
I can foresee netflix having some sort of workaround as well as mozilla shumway.
All the new browsers are html5 compliant and I dont think Mozilla will totally leave us out in the cold, after all even the android version of firefox is slated to have some of these plugins and thats been an issue with it for a while now.
Chrome will also have its own workaround probably, googles cooking its own plugins.

Last edited by MadmanRB (2014-08-07 03:41:21)

A keen mind goes a long way...

Board footer