You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-03 14:26:46

WolleTD
Member
Registered: 2012-11-13
Posts: 70

Arch Linux Server: Kernel

Hello guys,

I'm running a server on Arch Linux. I switched to linux-lts as active kernel in the hope of not having to reboot the system.

But the lts package also gets minor updates frequently, forcing me to reboot the system. At least, when I need to load some modules.

My question is: Can I savely ignore package updates for linux-lts as it is stable and secure in general?

Thanks,
Wolle

Offline

#2 2014-07-03 16:18:08

stevenhoneyman
Member
From: England
Registered: 2014-05-25
Posts: 240

Re: Arch Linux Server: Kernel

A rolling-release "vanilla" source distro... on a server? are you mad? big_smile

Offline

#3 2014-07-03 17:05:23

clfarron4
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2013-06-28
Posts: 2,162
Website

Re: Arch Linux Server: Kernel

Don't know about not rebooting, but have you looked into Kexec?

I thought I've seen posts where you can update kernels and then load them on the fly, but I can't remember where on here.


Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

Offline

#4 2014-07-03 17:06:39

runical
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2012-03-03
Posts: 786

Re: Arch Linux Server: Kernel

WolleTD wrote:

My question is: Can I savely ignore package updates for linux-lts as it is stable and secure in general?

You can do whatever you want, although I would say that you should check every update carefully (as you should anyways) because maybe it fixes an important issue. I'd say, decide on a case by case basis while keeping in mind that partial upgrades are not supported and can cause problems.

A different approach is to update only once in a while. I do not know how critical this server is, but if you only upgrade say once a week or once every 2 weeks, you can reduce the number of reboots as well.

Offline

#5 2014-07-03 17:09:03

tomk
Forum Fellow
From: Ireland
Registered: 2004-07-21
Posts: 9,837

Re: Arch Linux Server: Kernel

I run my Arch server with the default kernel package, and update it once a month(-ish) - no major issues have arisen, and I prepare for minor issues as they are usually known in advance.

Something to consider: the -lts kernel has a much smaller user base, so it gets less testing.

Offline

#6 2014-07-03 21:20:22

clfarron4
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2013-06-28
Posts: 2,162
Website

Re: Arch Linux Server: Kernel

@WolleTD: You're about to have some fun. In [testing], linux-lts is now on the 3.14.x branch.


Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

Offline

#7 2014-07-04 12:09:05

WolleTD
Member
Registered: 2012-11-13
Posts: 70

Re: Arch Linux Server: Kernel

stevenhoneyman wrote:

A rolling-release "vanilla" source distro... on a server? are you mad? big_smile

I don't want an overloaded system with fancy but useless stuff. I don't want a DE installed on my server and most important, I want systemd.

clfarron4 wrote:

@WolleTD: You're about to have some fun. In [testing], linux-lts is now on the 3.14.x branch.

I don't have [testing] enabled on the server.

But anyway, having Arch Linux on a server is both awesome and annoying. Not quite the right distribution to get uptime records big_smile

Offline

#8 2014-07-04 12:26:15

stevenhoneyman
Member
From: England
Registered: 2014-05-25
Posts: 240

Re: Arch Linux Server: Kernel

WolleTD wrote:
stevenhoneyman wrote:

A rolling-release "vanilla" source distro... on a server? are you mad? big_smile

I don't want an overloaded system with fancy but useless stuff. I don't want a DE installed on my server and most important, I want systemd.

You've just described Debian!

Offline

#9 2014-07-11 12:50:50

czubek
Member
From: Alliance College
Registered: 2012-03-08
Posts: 137

Re: Arch Linux Server: Kernel

I recommend looking at Mr. Woodel's guide at:

http://woodel.com/


Arch Linux is suited to the competent user.
Which ranks me right up there at highly incompetent.

Offline

#10 2014-07-11 17:56:12

Pse
Member
Registered: 2008-03-15
Posts: 383

Re: Arch Linux Server: Kernel

stevenhoneyman wrote:
WolleTD wrote:
stevenhoneyman wrote:

A rolling-release "vanilla" source distro... on a server? are you mad? big_smile

I don't want an overloaded system with fancy but useless stuff. I don't want a DE installed on my server and most important, I want systemd.

You've just described Debian!

Or Fedora net-install / CentOS.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB