You are not logged in.

#26 2014-06-06 18:36:58

Knusperkeks

Re: Phototonic - Image viewer and organizer

Looks very nice but it doesn't start on my machine sad

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb".

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, kms, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, xcb.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

#27 2014-06-06 21:46:20

karol
Archivist

Knusperkeks, have you searched the forum for this error? https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=182016
Try installing  libxkbcommon-x11.

#28 2014-06-07 14:03:08

daf666
Website

Phototonic now supports loading thumbnails recursively, and dynamic thumbnail loading.
This allows browsing many thousands of images very fast. For example, the 43,000 images under my /usr/share/icons:

kmbX2Irm.jpg

Please test using AUR git pkg and report bugs smile

#29 2014-06-09 13:54:41

Knusperkeks

karol wrote:

Knusperkeks, have you searched the forum for this error? https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=182016
Try installing  libxkbcommon-x11.

Mhh, it is even listed as optional dep for qt5-base - just listening to pacman would have been enough... sry for my stupid question!

Thanks daf666 for your work, looks great so far! smile

#30 2014-07-12 12:38:12

daf666
Website

Knusperkeks, thanks. Note that now I added libxkbcommon-x11 to optional dependencies (in v1.00).

#31 2014-07-12 12:42:13

daf666
Website

Great news, V1.00 is out, get it from AUR.

V1.00 highlights:

Thumbnails can now be loaded and browsed recursively on a folder tree.
    Thumbnails are now loaded dynamically, enabling browsing very large folders.
    Added "Copy/Move Images to..." Dialog.
    Can now open image with multiple external programs.
    Added customization for mouse behavior.
    Added Show Hidden Files option.
    Image zooming can now be controlled with mouse wheel+ctrl key.
    Many enhancements and bug fixes.

Enjoy!

#32 2014-07-12 13:44:13

karol
Archivist

Since the issue persists

$ phototonic
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb".

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, kms, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, xcb.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted

maybe libxkbcommon-x11 should be made a regular dependency?

#33 2014-07-12 17:36:46

daf666
Website

Yep PKGBUILD fixed, thanks.

#34 2014-07-14 19:06:00

daf666
Website

Alas, v1.00 had two critical issues:
1. In some rare cases images were not saved correctly.
2. Docks and tool bars kept forgetting their visibility state.

Both bugs are now squashed in v1.01. AUR pkg is updated, you know the drill.

#35 2014-08-08 09:26:53

daf666
Website

Good news everyone! v1.03 is out! Get it from AUR.

Many thanks to the translators and the QA guys who post bugs on Github! (additional translations are welcomed)

Highlights for this release (48 commits!):

Added translations for Polish, German and Russian.
    Added Startup Folder options
    Added Brightness and Contrast controls
    Added Scale Image feature
    Added option to show image name in full screen
    Can now show/hide thumbnail labels in Classic and Compact modes
    Added menu for docks and toolbars visibility
    Improved rename dialog
    Optimizations to thumbnail layouts

Fixed zooming with mouse wheel direction
    Fixes thumbnails sorting case sensitivity
    Fixes to menu visibility in Ubuntu
    Fixes to Slide show
    Many more small bug fixes

Enjoy.

#36 2014-09-19 18:01:45

daf666
Website

v1.4 is out! Get it from AUR. Many thanks to translators and QA persons (additional translations are welcomed).
Highlights in current release:

Viewer is now available in the thumbnails layout as a Dock
    Thumbnails can now also be rotated according Exif orientation
    Enhances to external application dialog
    Added Czech translation
    Added French translation
    Better feedback when starting external applications
    Settings dialog controls are now grouped in tabs
    Added 16px size application icon
    Improvements to German translation
    Added Debian packaging scripts
    Can now rename an image when in viewer
    Added busy indicator for some actions in thumbnails layout

Many more, please see home page for complete list...

#37 2014-11-22 10:56:29

daf666
Website

1.5.1 is ready in AUR! Highlights in current release:

New toolbar in viewer mode for image manipulation actions
    Added Bookmarks feature
    Added Find Duplicate Images feature
    Added shortcuts for changing the focus to the Find and Path text areas
    Enhancements to Copy to and Move to dialogs
    Can now set thumbnails background image
    Enhancements to Colors dialog, added color balance feature
    Added Crop to Selection feature
    Added mouse shortcuts for Reset/Original Zoom
    Added feedback notification for transformation actions in viewer
    Changed Cropping dialog orientation to percentage cropping for continuous image cropping
    Image data now showed in sections
    Many other fixes...

#38 2014-11-22 15:00:19

ninian
Website

Many thanks - looking good so far!
smile

#39 2014-11-24 17:18:33

Tristelune

Thank you for the new version! Unfortunately, I still miss the support for RAW pictures. When do you plan to add it ?
Without it I can't use phototonic sad.

#40 2014-11-24 22:07:04

fschiff

The Find Duplicate Images is great. 
But it doesn't tell me what directory the files are in.

Wish it was a almost duplicate finder, instead of a 100% duplicate finder.

#41 2014-11-28 17:01:06

daf666
Website

Tristelune: first image tags then raw... In this rate a couple of months maybe.

Fschiff: if you select one of the dupes, it displays its info in the info dock...

Edit: I am thinking of almosy DUP maybe by histogram...

Last edited by daf666 (2014-11-28 17:02:41)

#42 2014-12-10 10:32:28

Tristelune

Thank for the information.

I'm also very interested by the tags. I hope I will be able to test
your application very soon!

#43 2014-12-11 02:50:04

likytau

I typically use sxiv. I'm aware that the .. intent of this package is different from sxiv, but after just trying phototonic out, there are a few things that I think you could stand to import from sxiv:

* Support + and - for zooming rather than only z/alt-z. Since basically everything else related to visual media (GIMP, Mypaint, Krita, Mtpaint, sxiv, gqview, blender, mirage, etc) uses this, IMO it's important to support this by default.
* Better support for marking images. The classical ctrl+click / shift+click is a start, but it doesn't really scale to complex selections in sets of 100+ images - do a normal click accidentally, or the wrong modifier, and your selection is irretrievably lost. Keyboard-specific support (eg 'm' to mark this image and then go to next image) would be an improvement, as would be a selection system that is less vulnerable to mouse accidents.
* Filelist support (this is sort of the inverse of the above: when you have exported a filelist, you might want to view it again, refine the selection..)
* .. View zooming-in is a little weak (in a fairly literal sense -- it feels like you are adding/subtracting a fixed amount to the zoom level, which means that when you get much away from 100% zoom, the amount of enlargement per step is pretty small.). Exponential zooming for >100% zoom levels would feel better, IMO.
* Higher maximum zoom.. 1600% is reasonable, IME.

Some other ideas that are merely nice rather than important:
* Animation pause function
* Binding Space to 'next image' by default -- its a lot larger target than PageDown. (similar issue as with z/alt+z and +/- above I guess -- requires the ability to have multiple bindings for a function)
* Keyboard shortcuts for thumbnail zooming (as it is, since I have to click multiple times in the menu to get to the zoom level I want, it is fairly tedious. I do think you got the ratio of enlargement / shrinkage nailed pretty well.)
* Allow to display some image info in view mode.. and..
* Custom info display. This is important to me, since I use it for TMSU tagging and image crossreferencing, but I acknowledge it may not be generally important. The display I use shows a unique 4-character code and the output of 'tmsu tags', and is implemented via a shell script (called each time a new image is displayed).
* Externally handle unrecognized keyboard events with an external shell script (called with a key code, eg 'Shift+Delete', as its first argument, and a list of files to apply to on stdin). IMO this is a very elegant way to support extending the program's functionality. (for example, when I delete a file, I don't want to just 'rm' it from disk.. the hash of the deleted image should also be recorded and its TMSU tags removed, before it is removed from disk)

Things I appreciate about phototonic:
* Dynamic thumb loading. Large filelists are impossible without it.
* Squarish thumbs option.
* Keeping unknown files in the filelist and flagging them clearly as unknown
* Bookmark/History-based move/copy dialog
* Random function
* Mirroring options -- never seen this before but it seems very useful.
* High level of keyboard support
* OSD messages (Zoom 100%, etc)
* Thumbnail view display color customization
* Rotation by 1-degree increments
* Color alteration.. well, in general the ability to experiment with the image without the assumption being made that I want to save my changes.

Things I'd like to know about phototonic:
* How are thumbs handled (eg. where are they cached, what are the correct dimensions) ? I want to do custom processing for certain files (pencil sketches) as the thumbs are just useless white/grey smears otherwise)

BTW, I have a bug to report related to thumbnail zooming: it destroys 'find duplicates' view, throwing you back to the directory view. I was expecting the view to be preserved, and only the thumbnail size to change.

(also, transform functions, including Crop, don't seem to work on animated images -- though I guess this may be intentional -- and color alteration doesn't either.)

I'll put those two into the issue tracker.

I also want to point out for others edification, that you can make a selection using Ctrl+Drag in view mode. This was not obvious to me, although it was obvious that there had to be some way to make a selection, since the 'Crop to selection' menu item was there. I don't understand why the selection is allowed to extend beyond the image bounds, though.

Overall, it can't quite replace sxiv for me yet, for the reasons I've outlined (marking, filelists, zoom usability/level, (custom) info display in view mode, custom commands with custom keybinds, animation pause), but I will be keeping an eye on it, and possibly contributing patches to move it towards that level.

Last edited by likytau (2014-12-11 06:17:42)

#44 2014-12-11 17:00:49

daf666
Website

Likytau, WOW... this is exactly the type of input that I was wanting, thanks a lot for taking the time to put this together!
I will go over the list and open the necessary bugs.
* Regarding the +/- keys, it used to work before and currently I think that there is an upstream bug, even when setting these keys and the action shortcut, they don't work (using the keypad).
* I think I saw a good example for image selection in XNview, did not check its functionality, but adding checkbox selection of images in Phototonic might do the trick.
* I think once tags functionality is up and running, it will also cover file list support.
* Didnt add key shortcuts to all actions just because of laziness, will fix...
I can say that I do also want all of the things you described, going to take a some time till we get there smile
Thanks!

Last edited by daf666 (2014-12-11 17:01:38)

#45 2014-12-11 22:59:01

likytau

Re: +- zoom:
I think they are being set with the wrong keysym (+/- rather than KP_Add/KP_Subtract -- bring up xev and check out the output when you press the different +- keys.).Checking my config, I can confirm this: entering keypad add results in a keysym of +, etc. Editing the config and substituting in KP_Add / Subtract doesn't do anything useful, though.

However, you might want to look at the code for Krita's keyboard shortcut dialog, as it supports the keypad +- okay, and is written using Qt just like phototonic. Looking at my config, it shows - + as the keys, so Krita might  be setup to treat + and - as the same keys as KP_Add and KP_Subtract

Re: marking:
Sounds good as long as it doesn't take up extra space. Like, a tick icon overlaid on the image's bottom right corner would be okay (this is, admittedly, similar to how sxiv does it; Making it a separate widget that you're required to specifically click on would be annoying.

Re: tags:
Are you talking about exif tags? Not sure why that would result in filelist support, but I guess you'd know much better than I.

Re:Thumbs: Do you actually have a thumbnail cache or not? I wasn't clear on that from your reply.

Thanks for the prompt feedback smile

#46 2014-12-12 00:05:37

progandy

daf666 wrote:

* I think I saw a good example for image selection in XNview, did not check its functionality, but adding checkbox selection of images in Phototonic might do the trick.

I think I'd prefer a dedicated selection mode. Activate the selection with a command or hotkey, then click on an image to toggle its mark. On the keyboard you could use e.g. the arrow keys to choose an image and then the spacebar to toggle the mark. If you want, you could represent this mark as a checkbox.

Last edited by progandy (2014-12-12 00:06:58)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#47 2014-12-12 02:36:41

likytau

progandy wrote:
daf666 wrote:

I think I'd prefer a dedicated selection mode. Activate the selection with a command or hotkey, then click on an image to toggle its mark. On the keyboard you could use e.g. the arrow keys to choose an image and then the spacebar to toggle the mark. If you want, you could represent this mark as a checkbox.

As discussed in the sxiv thread, it may work out better if marking an image immediately moves to the next one -- this allows you to hold the key down to mark a continuous run of images.
I think a dedicated selection mode is a good idea in all other ways, although I want to mention that I would greatly dislike it if this were the ONLY way to edit the selection (in specific, I think it is important to be able to de/select the image you are currently viewing, in view mode.)

A simple feature request I forgot to mention in my earlier post was filelist rearrangement, preferably accessible both by DnD and keyboard. Currently, DnD can be used to move files (Drag from the middle pane to a directory in the left pane), but dragging in the central pane only, does nothing. Ideally this would also work in View mode.

EDIT:
Re:Re: tags:
I read up on your work on EXIF tags. If you are suggesting that these can function as a 'selection'/'filelist', then it looks like I'll have to code separate filelist support, since, well, when not all of the images in your list are of a format that supports EXIF, you can't possibly EXIF tag them all and arrive at any kind of sensible result.

Last edited by likytau (2014-12-12 07:19:46)

#48 2014-12-12 12:11:54

daf666
Website

Hi;
Opened  #157 for the +/- shortcuts issue, thanks for the tips.
My idea about file lists using tags was: if you tag certain images with a specific tag, say "Sunsets", then you can always load those files again to the view by filtering by this tag. I use the most common scenario of course, for when using Exif supported formats. In any event, Import/Export of files list should not be a big deal, but the use case is not 100% clear to me. Is the use case involves selecting images then exporting selection then on a different execution importing again? (I mean, what is the definition of a list? the current selection or filtering, etc...)
Opened  #159 for zooming enhancements
Opened #160 for missing shortcuts
'find duplicates' is now fixed by krzyc (use the Git AUR package)
Opened #153 for GIFs + transformations
Regarding cache: No, Phototonic does not caches anything ever.
Regarding rearrangement, do you mean moving thumbnails around in the view? (if so it is covered by #46 - Light table func...)

#49 2014-12-12 14:13:21

likytau

daf666 wrote:

My idea about file lists using tags was: if you tag certain images with a specific tag, say "Sunsets", then you can always load those files again to the view by filtering by this tag. I use the most common scenario of course, for when using Exif supported formats. In any event, Import/Export of files list should not be a big deal, but the use case is not 100% clear to me. Is the use case involves selecting images then exporting selection then on a different execution importing again? (I mean, what is the definition of a list? the current selection or filtering, etc...)

Definition of a list is simply an arbitrary list of files in a specific ordering. You can contrast this with Phototonic's current dogma, which is "I'm either viewing a single file, or a directory that may contain many files/subdirectories"; you can't currently run 'phototonic some/image.jpg some_other_image.jpg a_third_image.jpg' -- it will just give you back the 'usage help' message. This is also evidenced in the fact that you can only delete files from disk, rather than merely removing them from the filelist.

Generally filelists would be generated using a combination of external programs (for example 'find some/particular/directory -type f | tagfilt -e "$SOMETAG -$SOMEUNWANTEDTAG" | statsort "%s"' to select a) files in a particular directory, that b) are tagged SOMETAG, but aren't tagged SOMEUNWANTEDTAG, and c) order them by file size, ascending.).
I've used a range of criteria according to task -- TMSU tagging, file size thresholds, image dimension thresholds, 'leaf'-ness (being in a directory that contains only files, not any subdirectories), mtimes..

Some examples:
* Select the pencil sketches with the least number of TMSU tags, so that I can tag them more
* Save a list of files I had selected as reference images. View this list again and refine it to a final set.. maybe open them all in GIMP so I can composite them into one overall ref image.
* Look through a set of photos, delete some, select others. Come back to this list, probably subdivide it a bit more  (things that are useless but interesting, things that need work, things that are fine as-is..)

My impression is that your EXIF tagging would create a far more 'permanent' (and unordered) kind of filelist. Which is not a problem except, as I mentioned,  the EXIF method prevents other things from being included in it (things that don't have exif; things that aren't even images -- video clips, pdfs.. things that I wouldn't expect phototonic to do anything with except 'leave alone'), and in my case, also directly interferes with TMSU tagging.

Opened  #159 for zooming enhancements
Opened #160 for missing shortcuts

Thanks, I've commented with a reasonably complete list of what doesn't currently have a shortcut.

'find duplicates' is now fixed by krzyc (use the Git AUR package)

Okay, thanks (am already running git but didn't catch that change had been merged yet)

Opened #153 for GIFs + transformations
Regarding cache: No, Phototonic does not caches anything ever.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I guess I will need to use something different in the case I'm working with pencil sketches then.

Regarding rearrangement, do you mean moving thumbnails around in the view? (if so it is covered by #46 - Light table func...)

Not sure. That issue doesn't comment much on the details; I vaguely suspect it's about -spatially- arranging free-floating thumbnails. But I can comment on what I meant: Indexical rearrangement of the file list.
You have two types of image you want to find. You use, say, Ctrl+Left* to send the first type to the start of the file list (it becomes item #1), and Ctrl+Right* to send the second type to the end (it becomes, we'll say, item #300). You work your way through the filelist from beginning to end. You now have a filelist consisting of three partitions, in order: TYPE1, UNRELATED, TYPE2. You then perform some kind of batch operation on TYPE1 and/or TYPE2 items (TMSU tagging is common; opening in GIMP is also). Maybe then remove them from the filelist (but not from disk) and continue in a similar vein, choosing different 'types' to categorize out of the remaining files... until there are no files remaining to categorize.
The aspect of the situation where you end up with all similar images next to each other, speeds up the process of categorizing images, IME.

* I know these particular shortcuts are already used. Just assume they are not, for the sake of argument.

This is how I use filelist arrangement, because I looooove binary partitioning / bisection method wink Others might make more groupings, in a 'shell game' kind of series of rearrangements, I guess. Ultimately it seems like filelists are a tool for arbitrarily grouping and ranking images.

I'm happy to open some of the issues I described before myself if you want me to. I just figured, you know more about your project vision and what fits in it than I can.

Last edited by likytau (2014-12-12 23:35:33)

#50 2015-06-26 12:32:05

daf666
Website

Took a while... But 1.6.2 is out (AUR4 seems to be laggy, still shows the old version):

Image tags, tagging images and filtering images by tags
    Delete confirmation is now configurable
    Improvements to drag and drop
    A more sophisticated Dir-completer
    Many many more fixes and improvements, thanks to the contributors!

Board footer