You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-16 08:48:23

abhaysahai

Bye for Now

Hi,
I loved Arch and had used it for some good time. I loved pacman and the speed which I feel is better than gentoo.  The simplicity provided by Arch was too good, I can believe that I made my own packages and even uploaded them to AUR ( maintainer = abhaysahai) . Though I got very busy with my office work and cannot keep them updated. Last night I got a few haours to tinker with the system and I wanted to upload another of my package, before that I thaught of updating my system, this was the worst mistake I made.
I successfully updated my system ( pacman -Syu) and got the new archck 2.6.15 kernel, made all the changes to grub menu.lst to accomodate the iniramfs changes, voila I was ready to reboot.

After reboot, as expected, Arch started booting just fine till it reached module loading, suddenly I got kernel panic ( why ??? ) no idea.
On power down and reboot it gave me warning that root mount point is corrupt and asked to do a manual fsck I did
"fsck -y"
it failed and said something like cannot repair filesystem, I googled and tried restoring using arch install CD -- no go..

My Thinkpad requires some specific settings like wireless LAN, DVD writer and ATI driver,  AAHH ! still I am busy with my office work and had to get a working system and continue with my work, even worse I found a Ubuntu Breezy CD in my CD case. 20 min install and every thing working out of box ( though at snails pace). Trying something like Ubuntu makes us realize what speed Arch provides. Not to mention that my /home was intact and I got all my personal documents.
With Arch I would have to download everything like OO, xorg and Gnome. This would have taken a lot of time ( though I have 256 mbps broadband)
--- with Ubuntu It came as part of CD.
All I did download was monodevelop and postgresql ( with dependencies).

Lesson learned, next time I'll make my own  Arch ISO with all these packages as default. can we make a Ubuntu ISO ???

Hopefully by month end I will be free and back to Arch Again.

Till then Bye friends.

Abhay
(Waiting to be an archer again)

#2 2006-02-16 09:32:49

Cam
Website

Re: Bye for Now

Arch does have a much fuller ISO than the -base one. Not sure if it includes both OOo and Postgre but it might.

#3 2006-02-16 09:36:05

abhaysahai

Unfortunately I have a base one only, though I have learned my lesson.
If not a complete ISO, Atleast I'll keep all the packages cache in a CD along with my home directory.

Abhay

#4 2006-02-18 17:21:36

Bysshe

Man, sorry to hear.  What does the archck kernel do?  I've never bothered using it, but remember having the stock one freak out once because of OSS entries in modeprobe.conf (removing OSS entries fixes it).  Pretty sure this isn't the same thing, but, I've been preparing to back up my system as well.     You're right, there's alot of time spent installing and tweaking arch to your needs.  I'll take heed your warning.  Hope to see you around again soon.

#5 2006-02-19 04:32:54

abhaysahai

What does the archck kernel do? Check out what "iphitus" has to say on this.
This is the site where iphitus' tends to put things.
http://iphitus.loudas.com/
He is one of the biggest contributor to Arch. Its people like him who made me stick to Arch and have made Arch such a nice distribution.

Regards,
Abhay

#6 2006-02-19 05:22:03

allucid

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way:
1. Always have a backup kernel (with a corresponding entry in your bootloader)
2. Never update everything (especially the kernel) when you don't have the time to handle unforseen errors. Nothing sucks more than doing a 'quick update' right before you have some big project you need your computer for.
3. Always have a LiveCD (like knoppix) handy. In the worst case scenario you could boot knoppix and mount your hard drives to continue your work.

Sorry to hear about it, I've been in similar situations. sad

#7 2006-02-19 11:24:46

arooaroo
Website

allucid wrote:

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way:
1. Always have a backup kernel (with a corresponding entry in your bootloader)
2. Never update everything (especially the kernel) when you don't have the time to handle unforseen errors. Nothing sucks more than doing a 'quick update' right before you have some big project you need your computer for.
3. Always have a LiveCD (like knoppix) handy. In the worst case scenario you could boot knoppix and mount your hard drives to continue your work.

Sorry to hear about it, I've been in similar situations. sad

Good suggestions!

I have done all three! Initially I just had Knoppix ready to use when I did something silly. Then I ended up with a "backup" kernel thanks to playing with ArchCK. However, for me, putting kernel26 in NoUpgrade in pacman.conf has saved me a lot of hassle. It means that I wait a week or so after a kernel is released to see the problems played out on the forums.

#8 2006-02-19 13:24:04

abhaysahai

All suggestions noted.
Just wondering why do I learn all these lessons when things personally happen to me.
I am using Ubuntu these days, but keep coming back to the Arch forum, it gives me a feel that I am still in my community.
Oh how much I long to edit some rc file or create my own package, not to mention pacman.
Have not even tried making a package in Ubuntu,  I am so sure that I will return to Arch the moment I get 3 days free.

Abhay

#9 2006-02-19 13:33:17

pikass

allucid wrote:

3a. Make yourself an Archie. That's the best emergency option you can have.

Board footer