You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-12 22:53:58

moldyshorts

Acer C720 - No internet after install

I'm having the worst time trying to get this to work and it feels like such a basic step! I managed to get everything installed, but on boot up am unable to get internet working. I originally tried using the install guide on the arch wiki specifically for the c720 (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … he_network) and of course it didn't work, as well the link other that I used to install (doesn't seem to be working, getting a website error), but the steps it listed to get internet after the install didn't work. I tried reaching out for help from someone who had success installing Arch on the C720, and they told me

"chroot back into the install (/dev/sda1) via the installer usb. then 'wifi-menu' connect to your network

sudo pacman -S networkmanager

reboot into /dev/sda1

systemctl enable NetworkManger

systemctl start NetworkManager

nmcli dev wifi connect <SSID> password <pass> "

unfortunately that didn't work either. Any other help would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying my hardest not to go back to an ubuntu-based distro.

edit: fixed the link to the install page

Last edited by moldyshorts (2014-07-12 22:59:00)

#2 2014-07-13 00:27:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Acer C720 - No internet after install

Saying "it didn't work" doesn't give us anything to go on.  What does work about it?  What steps have you taken?  Which steps fail?  What error messages or output do you recieve?  What type of network connection are you trying to make (wired, wireless, static ip, etc)?

If this is wireless - which the use of wifi-menu would suggest - did you install wireless_tools when you did the installation?  If not, wireless would not be expected to work.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#3 2014-07-13 02:44:03

moldyshorts

I'm sorry. I tried to be clear but I guess the heat of the moment had me spouting nonsense.

Yes it's wireless. The error message I get when using the systemctl start NetworkManager command is that it timed out, and when using wifi-menu it just says connection failure, so it looks like the culprit is wireless_tools!

Where in the install would wireless_tools come up? Can I just install it after the install or should I start from scratch? I'm really sorry for being such a novice.

#4 2014-07-13 02:56:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you also have a wired connection, then just connect to that and install whatever you need (see the wireless page on the wiki).  You'd likely need at least wireless_tools and wpa_supplicant.

If you don't have a wired connection, then obviously you can't install these after the install - but you also don't need to start from scratch.  Just boot to the installation media again, mount your partitions (the same way you did during the installation), then use pacstrap to install the additional packages:

pacstrap -i /mnt wireless_tools wpa_supplicant

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#5 2014-07-13 03:31:24

moldyshorts

Things seemed to work at first. When I first booted, I then did the same command (just to see if it works) and it had seemed to work, but then trying to install video drivers (sudo pacman -S xf86-video-intel) or just updating the system, it returns "failed retrieving file" down the entire screen. Is there any command that I can put in to gather some information to further help this issue?

#6 2014-07-13 11:15:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Trilby wrote:

Saying "it didn't work" doesn't give us anything to go on.

To gather helpful information, please take some time to read the wiki.  Specifically the following two pages, and any relevant pages linked from there would be a start:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Networking
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless

Also if you are running multiple networking services (e.g. combining wiif-menu and network manager) intermittent or completely non-functional networking is the expected result.  Only run one networking service.  But I'm guessing on this as you have not made it clear what steps you've actually been taking.  The following article might also be helpful - though I wish it had a slightly less off-putting title:

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

#7 2014-07-14 23:36:33

moldyshorts

Thank you so much for your help! I read through the wireless link and decided to do a clean install. I've managed to get everything to work! Thank you for baring with my subpar arch knowledge and helping me get things up and running, I really appreciate it!

Board footer