You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-06 01:35:38

rabcor
Banned

How to get League of Legends working in Arch!

Mod note: The information in this guide may be outdated, and has only been left publicly visible so the information can be migrated to the wiki. Please use your own judgement when following it, and be sure to check the information on the wiki, which is more likely to be up-to-date -- WorMzy

----

I didn't like the old wiki guide which required a chroot to run the game from wine, so I rewrote it: wiki guide. An alternative method (mentioned in the guide) is patching Wine instead of the textures of the game, but I hear that can break compatibility with some other games/programs, so I did not want to do that. This guide is how I got it working.

I did not get the installer itself working, for me it hangs when the installation process should start, if you encounter this problem your best bet is to find a windows machine, install the game on it and then copy it over with a USB flash drive or external HDD (14GB game folder, you can take it in more than one trip) or alternatively you can set up a temporary virtual machine and install from there with virtualbox.

Dependencies (if you're on a 32-bit system, remove the lib32 part of all the dependencies, i.e. lib32-lcms2 becomes lcms2):

lib32-alsa-lib lib32-libldap lib32-lcms2 lib32-gnutls wine winetricks

Winetricks Dependencies:

d3dx9 dxdiag vcrun2005 wininet corefonts adobeair

1. First you need to create a new 32-bit wine prefix (if you're on a 32-bit installation already and only have a 32-bit version of Wine, you do not need to do this, just use your existing prefix and for the rest of this guide do not type WINEARCH or WINEPREFIX parts of commands, and replace .wine32 with .wine)

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/USER/.wine32 winecfg

2. next, you need to install the winetricks dependencies

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/USER/.wine32 winetricks d3dx9 dxdiag vcrun2005 wininet corefonts adobeair

3. If/when you run into problems with installing adobe air, it is most likely a problem with the dnsapi library. Run winecfg, go to the Libraries tab and find the Existing Override for dnsapi (or if it does not exist, add it) and hit the Edit button to set it to "Native then Builtin".4

4. Place the LoL folder in the Wine directory

ln -s /mnt/HardDrive3/Riot\ Games $HOME/.wine32/drive_c/
(or)
mv $HOME/Riot\ Games/League\ of\ Legends $HOME/.wine32/drive_c/

This guide now assumes you've got your folder set up like one of the above above. The ln -s (symlink) command assumes that you have the game installed on another hard drive and want to keep it there, the mv command (move) moves the folder into Wine.

5. Make it compatible!

First do

$cat /etc/hostname

This will show you the name of your computer, next open /etc/hosts with an editor of your choice, and replace all instances of localhost with your computer's name (make sure to be case sensitive)

Last but not least, you need to patch the textures of the shop icons in the game or the game will crash when you try to buy items, which will be very embarrassing.

Download this patch and extract it wherever you like, the patch is built for python2 but works with python 3 I hear, I will assume you have python 2 installed, so open a terminal in the directory where you extracted the patch to, and run the following.

$ln -s .wine32/drive_c/Riot\ Games/League\ of\ Legends Game_Folder

Then edit config.py with an editor of your choice and set

lol_path = './Game_Folder'

Then execute the patch with

python2 lol_linux.py

If all went well, you will see an output explaning what the patch is doing (unpacking a bunch of dds files from an archive, patching out the mipmaps in them, archiving them again, and then it will be done, this takes a few)

And now your LoL client should be working just fine!

6. Try launching the game

$cd cd /home/xandis/.wine32/drive_c/Riot\ Games/League\ of\ Legends/RADS/system/
$WINEARCH=win32  WINEPREFIX=/home/USER/.wine32 wine rads_user_kernel.exe run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe

If all goes well you will see the launcher, if there is a patch then wait for it to finish and press play.

7.Test it!

Be aware of the issues (at the bottom of the post) and now test all the menus as much as you would like (store page, summoner profile, masteries, team builder, whatever, chances are it will all work if you managed to get far in enough to see the launcher)

Next you need to make sure the game loads and runs fine, press Play, go to "Custom" and create a game in summoner's rift, add one bot, start, pick a champion and launch the game. Right now your game should be working! If not, boggle your mind over the terminal output you get from wine, try to find out what error it's giving you and then google it (or if you can't find anything, post here)

8.Finalize!

Last step is to make the game easily accessible, I do this by creating an alias in .bashrc but you can create a "league_of_legends" bash script in /bin if you would like, or a .desktop file somewhere in /usr/share/applications.

But here is what I do in bashrc

alias wine32='env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="/home/USER/.wine32" wine'
alias League_of_Legends='cd /home/USER/.wine32/drive_c/Riot\ Games/League\ of\ Legends/RADS/system/ && wine32 rads_user_kernel.exe run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe'

That way I have the wine32 command to execute files with the 32-bit wine prefix (since I have more applications that work better with a 32-bit prefix, I didn't want to dedicate a Wine installation to LoL alone by patching it to work with mipmaps either)

And this way I just type League_of_Legends in the terminal to execute the game.

Issues:

1. Icons for runes in the launcher store do not appear

2. Most button textures in the launcher store are missing (but the buttons do work)

3. Right clicking friends in the friend list (to invite to a game) does not work (this issue can be circumvented by using the invite button in the lobby)

4. Lesser performance than running the game on windows

5. A small, mysterious "Riot" icon will appear somewhere around the edges of the minimap

6. In a 64-bit Wine prefix the Patcher will be black (but pressing buttons will work) and launching a match will end up in a black screen.

7. The installer hangs when it should start the installation

Last edited by WorMzy (2015-10-24 12:47:29)

#2 2014-07-06 01:58:47

drcouzelis
Website

Re: How to get League of Legends working in Arch!

rabcor wrote:

We already have a wiki guide for running LoL on arch

Is there a reason why you didn't add all of the information you posted here to the wiki page? Just change what's there or add your information as an alternative method. smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-07-06 01:59:40)

#3 2014-07-06 08:20:49

rabcor
Banned

I don't like making new accounts all over the net, bug reporting (i.e. bugzilla) and changing the wiki shouldn't be as much of a hassle as it is. Archwiki, Forums and AUR and Bugzilla should all be accessible with one account. Reporting bugs is doing developers a favor and should not require a dedicated account, modifying the wiki is the same story (but for the whole community, not just for the devs), these two should be  alot easier to do (and this problem does not plague Arch alone, but pretty much all Linux distros i've tried to use, this is a very primitive system)

Creating accounts is always a hassle (except for gamingonlinux for some strange reason) because they all require an email address and email verification, and the more times I give out my e-mail address, the likelier it is to end up in the hands of spambots. That is why I did not add this to the wiki.

But I guess that's the only reason. I am on arch a lot so I guess I'll make an exception this once (although it's not the first time I wanted to edit the wiki either). There are some sites (for example wikia) that allow wiki edits without accounts.

Edit: Yup, I have updated the Wiki Guide and slightly edited OP. I pointed towards this thread from the Wiki for additional support.

Last edited by rabcor (2014-07-06 12:32:01)

#4 2014-07-12 17:28:39

shelbydz

Thanks for the guide. I have this ALMOST working. When I try to start a tutorial match, I get the loading screen, but then it hangs for several minutes then drops back to the main screen.

In the terminal window I see:

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000004 at address 0x7a77387f (thread 0022), starting debugger...

and I got a bugsplat screen in LOL.

I did a stacktrace with:
echo bt all|winedbg. The output of that is:
http://pastebin.com/AXSqK0uw

I'm not sure what I'm missing, but i think im pretty close.
thx

#5 2014-07-13 22:35:18

rabcor
Banned

Seems like you're the only one who's gotten this error, sadly I don't have any idea what could be up, but it would be interesting to find out, a good dose of extra info would be what CPU, GPU and what GPU Drivers you are using smile

#6 2014-07-13 23:45:04

shelbydz

rabcor wrote:

Seems like you're the only one who's gotten this error, sadly I don't have any idea what could be up, but it would be interesting to find out, a good dose of extra info would be what CPU, GPU and what GPU Drivers you are using smile

cpu - AMD Phenom II 955 (64 bit)
gpu - GTX 760 2Gig
drivers - proprietary nvidia 337.25

I do get an error early on that it can find the ALSA 32 bit libs. Not sure if thats related or not. I get sound on the login screen. I copied the installation from a Win 8.1 VM, everything from the /Riot Games folder. My script to launch the game looks like this:

env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/mnt/raid/lol
pushd "/mnt/raid/lol/drive_c/Riot Games/League of Legends/RADS/system/"
wine rads_user_kernel.exe run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe
popd

let me know what else i can provide. thx

#7 2014-07-15 12:24:52

rabcor
Banned

(Assuming your 32 bit wine prefix is /mnt/raid/lol rather than the guides default $HOME/.wine32, I used $HOME/.wine32 and then symlinked LoL into it, but if you're using a dedicated wineprefix for LoL alone you might want to be patching WINE itself rather than the textures, there's also a d3d patch floating around that can supposedly provide massive boosts to performance)

Try changing your script to be like this: (I think the winearch and wineprefix have to be in the same line as wine is launched from, even if you use env)

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/mnt/raid/lol wine rads_user_kernel.exe run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe
popd

I've got an nvidia gtx 670 which is also kepler, and I ran it on the same drivers as you're using (although 340 is out now). I do however have an intel processor which is where our setups differ the most, so if hardware can be blamed it would be that, but I strongly doubt that hardware has anything to do with it, I hope it was just that the winearch and wineprefix had to be set in the same line as wine was launched from to actually work.

Last edited by rabcor (2014-07-15 12:30:00)

#8 2014-07-15 13:46:24

shelbydz

Oh that might be right. I guess env isnt doing the samething as export. I'll bump that up tonight and see what happens.

I'm using this same install of wine to run other games, diablo 3 and whatnot. I wasnt sure if the lol patch would interfere with those or not. Or does the patch only apply to the prefix?

#9 2014-07-16 00:38:18

rabcor
Banned

No env isn't the same as export, there's no point in using it really, and you don't want to use that either because if you use export you have to use it again to access your 32 bit prefix again, it's better to just define it every time by specifying the arch and prefix each time you need to run wine in 32 bit mode, but leave 64 bit as the default. Makes things simpler (especially if you use the wine32 alias I had you make in the wiki guide)

I mentioned two patches on the wiki, the one I recommended and explained how to use patches your LoL installation and doesn't touch your prefix nor Wine itself, the other patches wine itself and as I mentioned in the OP of this thread, I did not like that due to risks of breaking compatibility with other stuff. As such if you follow the guide on the wiki the answer is neither the prefix nor wine. Just your in-game shop item textures.

I just got the idea that you might be using a different setup since you had your wineprefix on /mnt/raid/lol/ instead of $HOME/.wine32/ (which would make more sense if you run into other games that require a 32 bit prefix, that way you can just have 1 64 bit and 1 32 bit prefix ready for whenever you need them instead of setting up a specific prefix just for LoL or just for some other application)

Do tell if you manage to fix your game, I'm hoping since you haven't said anything more than you will test it yet that you're already too busy playing to comment wink

Last edited by rabcor (2014-07-16 00:41:16)

#10 2014-07-16 01:06:51

shelbydz

rabcor wrote:

I just got the idea that you might be using a different setup since you had your wineprefix on /mnt/raid/lol/ instead of $HOME/.wine32/ (which would make more sense if you run into other games that require a 32 bit prefix, that way you can just have 1 64 bit and 1 32 bit prefix ready for whenever you need them instead of setting up a specific prefix just for LoL or just for some other application)

Do tell if you manage to fix your game, I'm hoping since you haven't said anything more than you will test it yet that you're already too busy playing to comment wink

Okay, so short answer is, no dice. I moved the env line down along with the wine execution. My bash script looks like:

env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/mnt/raid/lol wine rads_user_kernel.exe run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe
popd

I noticed this error in the console before the tutorial crashed:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "../../../wine/dlls/ntdll/heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 004b, blocked by 004f, retrying (60 sec)

I saw this the first few times I tried playing.

the wine debug dump for this is
http://pastebin.com/9a1eALKq

When I set up wine, i just wanted segregation and flexibility for different prefixes. My main prefix is actually still on the raid, rather than home. I have similar setups for Diablo 3 and Dead Space 3 (both on the same prefix). Following your guide, I knew I needed a separate one for LoL.

I WISH i was busy playing. But no, I was at work when I replied tongue

#11 2014-07-16 11:02:54

rabcor
Banned

Hmm, well you could try following this guide. They'll allow you to compile a version of wine solely for the purpose of running LoL. However I couldn't get it compiling on my 64-bit system, since it was a 32-bit version of Wine, it might be your best shot as it will give you a separate version of Wine for LoL.

#12 2014-07-17 20:55:25

shelbydz

rabcor wrote:

Hmm, well you could try following this guide. They'll allow you to compile a version of wine solely for the purpose of running LoL. However I couldn't get it compiling on my 64-bit system, since it was a 32-bit version of Wine, it might be your best shot as it will give you a separate version of Wine for LoL.

Well, the issue I described appears to ONLY be a problem with the initial, Basic Tutorial. I notied on wineHQ, that someone else had a similar problem and said the tutorial was buggy. So I skipped that, but the other 'bot' tutorials run just fine.

I have no in-game audio. I bet that's the missing 32bit alsa lib. A quick pacman -Ss alsa shows that the 1.0.28-1 driver is installed. But for some reason, wine doesn't see it.

#13 2014-07-17 22:20:41

rabcor
Banned

Ah so you can play it was just the basic tutorial that didn't work (told you to test this with a custom game either way)

Test wine's audio with your equivalent of the following:

wine32 winecfg

Remember that if you use pulseaudio you may need lib32-libpulse instead (or both)

Either way the first step is to confirm if the audio issues are with your core system audio (play other audio) then test if it works in wine (winecfg for the prefix that you are using to launch lol) and then the game (check the games sound options)

It's also good to check if you get sound in the launcher thing when you press buttons (for example in the store)

#14 2014-07-22 12:17:09

shelbydz

rabcor wrote:

Remember that if you use pulseaudio you may need lib32-libpulse instead (or both)

Thats what I needed. I don't remember explicitly installing pulse, but it must have come down with something else. So, its all working now!! Thanks for the help.

#15 2014-08-05 22:55:23

Resistance

Catalyst legacy drivers (13.1) freeze the game (issues http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30330 , http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31934 ).
0001-Remove-support-for-GL_ARB_sync.patch works but the performance is pretty much the same as on the open source driver (40-50 FPS in the beggining, ~20-25 when doing stuff, on my 4850GS).

Last edited by Resistance (2014-08-10 16:06:23)

#16 2014-08-06 11:03:09

skottish
Forum Fellow

rabcor wrote:

]This will show you the name of your computer, next open /etc/hosts with an editor of your choice, and replace all instances of localhost with your computer's name (make sure to be case sensitive)

Don't do that. Please properly set your hostname. localhost and <your_host_name> can and should exist together.

#17 2014-10-22 19:10:32

Ravenman

Hi to everyone:

Anyone out there knows how to fix this issue?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ravenman (2014-10-22 19:13:41)

#18 2014-11-02 07:06:36

rabcor
Banned

I encountered the same error Ravenman.

xpander wrote:

remove wininet from overrides and it logs again

That fixed it for me tongue

skottish wrote:
rabcor wrote:

]This will show you the name of your computer, next open /etc/hosts with an editor of your choice, and replace all instances of localhost with your computer's name (make sure to be case sensitive)

Don't do that. Please properly set your hostname. localhost and <your_host_name> can and should exist together.

I really can't tell the difference, that looks pretty much like exactly the same thing to me, also not sure if it would work the same way.

Last edited by rabcor (2014-11-02 07:06:57)

#19 2015-10-24 12:25:29

jiros

Hi guys

First sorry for my bad English.
So GREAT PROBLEM<

I runed 1 month ago LoL by this guide : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Le … ine_Method
also my computer is 32 bit but i used the commands that was for 64 bit machins like WINEARCH and WINEPREFIX and it created a wine32 prefix in my home directory and game works fine but 1 month age

After that i didnt play LoL untill now on which i updated my system with sudo pacman -Syu and after that LoL was 5.19 and needed to update to 5.20

But when i want to run lol it does not run even LoL logo does not show in center of screen ( just it taken screen fix and wont works )

Even i deleted wine32 prefix and moved LoL Folders to .wine prefix that it was default by the guide but it wont works yet.

it is also terminal output :

[sohrab@Arch ~]$ /bin/leagueoflegends
~/.wine/drive_c/League of Legends/RADS/system ~
fixme:ntdll:find_reg_tz_info Can't find matching timezone information in the registry for bias -210, std (d/m/y): 22/09/2015, dlt (d/m/y): 22/03/2015
(  DEBUG)[15:47:20.613] RADS::Common::RegistryHelp::RegKeyValueString::RegKeyValueString: (Software\Riot Games\RADS, LocalRootFolder, c:\rads)
(  ERROR)[15:48:20.032] RADS::Common::HTTPConnection::GetFile: perform request failed with code 52
(  ERROR)[15:48:20.033] RADS::Common::HTTPConnection::GetFile: Retrying after failed attempt 1
(  ERROR)[15:49:21.036] RADS::Common::HTTPConnection::GetFile: perform request failed with code 52
(  ERROR)[15:49:21.036] RADS::Common::HTTPConnection::GetFile: Retrying after failed attempt 2
(  ERROR)[15:50:21.177] RADS::Common::HTTPConnection::GetFile: perform request failed with code 52
(  ERROR)[15:50:21.177] RADS::Common::HTTPConnection::GetFile: Failed on /releases/live/system/rads_user_kernel.exe.version
(  ERROR)[15:50:21.177] RADS::UserKernel::Application::SelfUpdate: Failed to download version information.
(  ERROR)[15:50:21.178] RADS::UserKernel::Application::Run: SelfUpdate failed.

and on the center of screen exactly shown an Error with RADS Error title and Ok button that tells :

Couldn't connect to the HTTP server. Please check that your internet connection is enabled and your firewall is not blocking access.

Please Help me our leagues start soon i must practice

Last edited by jiros (2015-10-24 12:38:00)

Freedom of mind with ArchLinux

#20 2015-10-24 12:40:55

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Please open a new topic about your issue. I appreciate rabcor's feelings about multiple accounts, but this is not the place for such information, and should certainly not be used as a dedicated support thread.

I'm going to close this topic, but leave it here in CC for posterity. To those of you who contributed to this thread and feel this information is still relevant, please migrate it to the wiki, where it belongs.

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer