You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-19 23:57:28

fwempa

Ultra Noob post.... Pacman vs. Compiling AMP

I am so new, i am still downloading the iso.  I have used gentoo, fedora, suse in recent weeks trying to settle on a distro.  I learned alot with gentoo, but realized that i didnt want to compile everything, but did want to compile a certain few apps.  I didnt like how Suse, et al... took control of the decision making in choosing apache module, or php and mysql versions.  From what ive read arch seems to be a good mix.  With a less intrusive package manager, and the perceived flexibility i desire.  my goal is to run a LAMP server, with my little ole' dynamicIP and serve a small personal website from home.  I will run ftp, http and connect to my windows lan.

Question is:  Is pacman flexible enuf to allow me all the choice of compiling myself?  Is compiling difficult in the arch environment?

Thanks (19 minutes left in download !!!!)

#2 2006-02-20 00:04:22

Cam
Website

Re: Ultra Noob post.... Pacman vs. Compiling AMP

Install srcpac (pacman -S srcpac). It's the same as pacman if you use srcpac -Sb php it'll built from source rather than install the binary smile

#3 2006-02-20 00:08:16

fwempa

Cam wrote:

Install srcpac (pacman -S srcpac). It's the same as pacman if you use srcpac -Sb php it'll built from source rather than install the binary smile

As I said, extreme newbie here.  How does one specify configure options with srcpac? AND... can it be used then for mysql and apache?

thanks for the quick reply!

#4 2006-02-20 00:46:56

SleepyDog

Take a look at the ABS Wiki Page

To put it in perspective, abs is like a ports tree where you can customize packages that you want to. The details of each package are controlled by a simple shell script. You can have a blend of custom and default packages on your system seamlessly, all managed by pacman.

#5 2006-02-20 09:56:21

tomk
Forum Fellow

What SleepyDog said, but why not try the stock packages first - they might suit your needs "out of the box".

Board footer