You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-18 06:06:12

bboy716

Home directory subfolders and file mangers showing folders in side bar

In other Linux distros, your home folder is pre-populated with the default "Documents", "Pictures", "Downloads", etc. folders and your file manager will display these folders on the side in "places" so you can quickly access them. In addition, these folders usually have a slightly modified folder icon to represent them. I noticed when I installed Arch that these folders did not exists and I had an empty home folder. I cannot pinpoint when this occured, but at some point a "Desktop" folder was created automatically. It had a modified folder icon and showed up in the side bar of any file manager. I went on to create my own folders in my home directory for "Documents", "Pictures", and "Downloads". I was able to find the matching icons for each and set each icon accordingly. However, I am still unable to get them to show up in the side bar of a file manager. I was able to drag each folder to the side bar in Thunar and create a link, however I noticed how I could right-click on these folders in the side bar and choose to remove them. The "Desktop" folder which had been created automatically could not be removed from the side bar indicating that it is somehow "built-in." I'm not sure how to get my other folders in home to become "built-in." In my preferred file manager, Nemo, I was not able to get these folders to show up in the side bar at all, not even as a simple link.

#2 2014-07-18 06:39:36

ugjka
Website

Re: Home directory subfolders and file mangers showing folders in side bar

I don't know if this will work for you, but it works for gtk stuff on my system

pacman -S xdg-user-dirs-gtk xdg-user-dirs 

then run

xdg-user-dirs-update
 xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher