You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-18 17:32:41

Arrakis

udev 084-4 breaks something in hal...

...at least in both my machines running Arch.

First of all let me thank everyone involved in making Arch the greatest distro EVER!

Now, let's go on with some details about the problem I'm experiencing:
after the last pacman -Syu (which contained the new archck kernel, udev 084-4 and some other things) on my main machine i noticed that my dbus + hal + ivman system for automounting was not working correctly when I tried to get some usbkeys automounted. A little bit of digging to try to solve the problem brought to my attention that ivman was trying to mount (with pmount), say, /dev/sdX instead of /dev/sdXY (where X is a letter and Y is the number of the partition, you know the scheme) and that's because hal itself doesn't recognize correctly the device, in fact running:

#lshal | grep sd

gives me this

info.linux.driver = 'sd'  (string)
  block.device = '/dev/sda'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/sda'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/sda'  (string)

instead of this

info.linux.driver = 'sd'  (string)
  block.device = '/dev/sdb'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/sdb'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/sdb'  (string)
  volume.partition.msdos_part_table_type = 6  (0x6)  (int)
  block.device = '/dev/sdb1'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/sdb/sdb1'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/sdb/sdb1'  (string)

so I googoled a bit and searched thru the forum but wasn't able to find a solution.
Then, out of curiosity, just to see what broke hal, I switched on my laptop which is configured quite similarly to my main machine and I did one by one the upgrades that I had done all together the previous time and I discovered that after the udev upgrade (084-3 -> 084-4) my hal wasn't able to recognize the partitions of the usbkey and thus ivman was trying to mount the device and obviously failing.

I also have to say that if I issue the command:

$pmount /dev/sdXY

it gets mounted without a hitch.
Keep also in mind that I don't have costum rules for none of the programs mentioned above (udev, hal, ivman), just the good ol' vanilla config smile.

So, what do you think of this?
Thanks to everyone willing to help and sorry for the long explanation (I hope I hadn't missed nothing, in case, just ask) I get a little verbose when I try to explain a problem in english (which is not my first language as you may have noticed)

I just *love* scanning for life forms.

Life forms. / You precious little life forms. / You darling little life forms. / Where are you?

#2 2006-02-20 10:16:14

Arrakis

Re: udev 084-4 breaks something in hal...

well, thank you very much apoikos.

I reverted the change in the config file and everything was allright again.
I do not own a CF reader either so, like you, I'm not able to tell if this causes any issue.

And I can't even help you on the KDE side 'cause I don't have it installed on my machines.

I was just wondering why noone noticed this problem before if it affects KDE too (and probably Gnome given that the gnome-volume-manager depends on hal).

I just *love* scanning for life forms.

Life forms. / You precious little life forms. / You darling little life forms. / Where are you?

Board footer