You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-20 10:33:07

Aegidius
Website

[Solved] Arch and Windows 7 in dual boot on different drives

Hello.

I have a laptop with 2 drives. I installed Arch on the first drive, and everything was fine. Then I tried to install Windows 7 on the second drive. I was unable to proceed, so I disconnected the first drive (the one with Arch), so I correctly installed Windows 7.

Now Grub does not start anymore and it boots directly into Windows 7. I tried to chroot from the Arch live and give

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

but Grub does not start anyway.

Can you please help me? ;(

Last edited by Aegidius (2014-07-20 21:07:54)

#2 2014-07-20 11:07:18

Aegidius
Website

Re: [Solved] Arch and Windows 7 in dual boot on different drives

Ok, I managed to boot Grub and it shows the Windows 7 entry. But when I try to lunch it, it says invalid EFI path.

#3 2014-07-20 21:05:07

wrc1944

I've installed windows (xp and win7) on sdb  with all my Linux distros on sda many times over the years.  What worked for me with such problems is this:

1. You'll have two hard drives, one attached to the motherboards sda1 socket connection, and the other to the sda2 socket.  Apparently, windows (xp or 7) needs to be installed on sda1, with no other drives attached to the motherboard at the time.  This seemingly insures the windows install routine doesn't get confused when it registers all the hardware.

So, attach the sda1 motherboard cable to the drive you wish to install windows on (this drive will become sda2 later, after you install and reboot windows as sda1).  All you're actually doing is detaching the sda1 and sda2 motherboard cables, and then re-attaching them differently after you confirm windows works correctly with ONLY the window drive being attached to sda1 motherboard socket on the reboot after you install.

2. Finally, after that's confirmed and you shutdown, all you do is detach the sda1 cable from the windows drive, and attach the sda2 cable to the windows drive.  Then, re-attach the sda1 cable back to the original sda1 drive, which (if I understood correctly) I assume you already have a working Arch Linux drive, with a functional grub2. 

All the above assumes you already have a working Linux and grub2 on the original sda1 (of course it's still the original sda1- you just temporarily switched the other original sda2 drive to become recognized as sda1 on the sda1 motherboard socket for the windows install).  Also, I assume sda1 is the first boot device in you BIOS.

In other words, to summarize, I think what you need to do in your case is disconnect the sda1 cable from the Arch drive and connect it to the windows drive after you disconnect the sda2 motherboard cable/socket from the windows drive), and then reinstall windows. Afterwards, attach the sda1 connector back to the Arch drive, and the sda2 connector back to the windows drive.  Boot up your arch Linux, and re-generate your grub2 config file (which will sort out all the correct menu entries), then shutdown, reboot, and windows should be in the grub2 menu, and you can boot windows right up.

This procedure has never failed me over many years.  Let us know how it turns out- whether you use this method, or not. However,  It really might be just a simple matter fo figuring out the invalid EFI path.  I've never worked with EFI boot configs, so can't really help much with that. 

I re-read all this, and think I have it pretty clear- if not, I'll try again.  It reads more complicated than it actually is.

Last edited by wrc1944 (2014-07-20 21:17:23)

#4 2014-07-20 21:07:18

Aegidius
Website

I solved booting in EFI from the disk where Arch resides and switch boot device to run Windows 7. It's enough for me.

Board footer