You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-21 01:10:52

nlabrad

Weird problems with Wifi. Intel Centrino 6xxx

Hi, i'm having some problems with my wifi connection, it started after some update some time ago.

The problem is that SOMETIMES, when i boot up, i have to turn off and on the wifi connection in network manager to achieve a connection. It finds all the available connections, but when it attempts to connect, it just fails.

Anyway, i'm not sure if i have more than one service or program managing my connections at boot and restarting the connection may overide this?
Sometimes when resetting the connection doesn't work i just call the wpa.supplicant command from the terminal and i get a connection.
I'm using cinnamon with it's network applet and networkmanager, but i don't know if i also have a wpa-supplicant command that runs at boot by itself. I remember trying different ways to achieve the connection when i installed arch, so there may be leftovers from that.

Maybe starting off the ground with this would be the best/fastest, removing everything that manages the wifi connection and installing what's neccesary again?

Any guidance in this will be helpful. Thanks.

#2 2014-07-21 01:15:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Weird problems with Wifi. Intel Centrino 6xxx

I agree, the first suspect would be competing network management tools.  But if you don't know what services you have enabled, we certainly can't tell you.  Why not just check:

systemctl

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-07-21 02:18:43

nlabrad

You are totally right, iḿ sorry.
Here is the output of my systemctl (not the complete output tho, just the services part, the other seems ok)
http://pastebin.com/x5c57kwF

There is one part that got my attention.
Is where netctl fails, and networkmanager comes right after:

●netctl@casa\x2dddwrt.service                                                                        loaded failed failed    Automatically generated profile by wifi-menu

Also, that is failing because the ddwrt ssid is no longer available. Should i proceed by deleting that profile/service?
I don't think that's the problem tho, as it seems that it's not starting at all, so it shouldn't be changing anything.

#4 2014-07-21 02:37:48

nlabrad

Well, update. I removed the netctl package and now it connected right from the start.
I'll check if it's stable, but i think i got it. That was pretty quick hah, sorry for the short thread. I haven't been using linux nor arch for a while and i don't quite remember the arch's ways, so i was unsure of the route.

Now the systemctl output has a lot of not-found. Maybe those are related to netctl?

http://pastebin.com/EjueUNM3

Thanks

Last edited by nlabrad (2014-07-21 02:43:14)

#5 2014-07-21 02:44:19

WonderWoofy

Though it will likely not make a difference, you should know that you now probably have dead symlinks in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants.

#6 2014-07-21 02:56:06

nlabrad

allright, and i want to add that the last pastebin was caused by using the --all argument with systemctl. Now after some reading i found that the dead ones appear only with the --all argument because they are called by other unit even if they don't exist, so don't pay attention to that.

I'll check the symlinks to delete the dead ones.

Last edited by nlabrad (2014-07-21 02:59:12)

Board footer