You are not logged in.

#26 2014-07-18 13:45:43

Baryon

Re: [SOLVED] startx crashes with blackscreen, no TTY

britta wrote:

I have an integrated Intel CPU, but I've also already following thoses instructions and have run "install i915 /usr/bin/false" ...  It's still not listed in my blacklist; do I need to manually add it there as well? I retried running the "install" commands above, and now it says it can't find i915 or intel_agp... that's good right?

The wiki says to add those two install lines to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Also @ Baryon, for the "potentially relevant section" below that, I deleted my vonfig files, as mentioned in the thread. Now all I'll got is 10-evdev and 10-quirks. However, I believe this is the reason I had created a conf file in the first place. Let me know if at any point you want me to put it back

I see that you had already put the BusID into your old xorg config file. When you removed the config file, you got an error message. So, you could probably put that bit back in. You don't need an entire xorg.conf file - you only need to specify the extra options you want. (Which also makes it easier to troubleshoot I suppose.) So you could try just adding a file called 10-nvidia.conf (although I don't think the filename matters) to the xorg.conf.d directory which contains only this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Last edited by Baryon (2014-07-18 13:47:20)

#27 2014-07-18 13:48:17

Kartious

britta wrote:

Good catch, Trilby! I had added that in hopes to see if this was the same problem (and thus the same fix), but it turns out it's a problem specific to Optimus, which I don't have.

britta wrote:

Output of lscpi | grep VGA:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2) 

Oh so wait you do have Nvidia Optimus...

#28 2014-07-18 13:54:08

britta

@Baryon

I will try this when I return, after the weekend.

@ kartious - how do you know from these outputs that I have Optimus? Everything I read about optimus was specific to notebooks and tablets, but I have a desktop. If we know for sure that I have Optimus, then I must get Bumblebee!

#29 2014-07-18 14:02:30

Kartious

britta wrote:

@ kartious - how do you know from these outputs that I have Optimus? Everything I read about optimus was specific to notebooks and tablets, but I have a desktop. If we know for sure that I have Optimus, then I must get Bumblebee!

Nope I stand corrected. Optimus is designed for Laptop technology which I just thought you was using. I would stick with Baryons advice for now as its a good place to continue trouble shooting.

#30 2014-07-18 14:12:34

Baryon

Also, do you still have the nvidia hook in mkinitcpio.conf?

#31 2014-07-22 01:35:09

britta

Hey everyone, I've just marked the problem as solved. Thank you all for your help.

The problem boils down to me not having understood the Wiki's instructions. As Baryon pointed out, the Wiki page for NVIDIA tells you to blacklist i915 and intel_agp. What I thought it was saying was create the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file, then type "install i915 /usr/bin/false" into the terminal. What they mean is type "install i915 /usr/bin/false" into the blacklist.conf file.

Finally, fixing this worked. Thanks again to all the responders.

Board footer