You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-22 19:21:16

manypopes

Delay before powering down with nvidia driver

I have a problem on a new PC where if I try to turn it off, Arch will shut down and the screen will blank, but there will be a 30 second delay before the computer powers down. I don't get the problem when using the nouveau driver, only nvidia. Also if I don't load X, the problem is gone, I only have the delay if I've loaded X.

I have tried using the power button in Gnome 3 as well as "shutdown -hP 0", but both methods have the same problem.

I'm also having a problem where I can't change to virtual terminals and can't have full resolution in virtual terminals, which is also due to the nvidia driver and may be linked.

I hope someone can help me, I can't seem to find any info exactly matching my problem. Also what's the best way I can save some logs when shutting down?

Last edited by manypopes (2014-07-22 19:27:40)

#2 2014-07-23 14:38:40

cafe

Re: Delay before powering down with nvidia driver

Use journalctl to read shutdown messages. The problem you described is probably due to some services having trouble to shutdown. systemd will wait some time before killing unresponsive services. Take a look at the systemd entry in the wiki.

Nvidia refuses to collaborate to improve the overall linux desktop experience. They have great hardware, but they don't care much about us. L. Torvalds made a great comment on their collaboration policies. The proprietary nvidia driver can be very performant for heavy duty graphical operations, but lacks support to KMS (Kernel Mode Setting). This is a nice feature of linux kernel that takes control of your screen resolution. It solves issues like screen flickering when switching to tty and provides nice terminal resolution. Nouveau, the reverse-engineered driver for nvidia cards, is a better option if you want to use KMS.

Use the nouveau driver if you are working with text processing, coding, simulations or nvidia if you are a gamer wink

Hope it helps,
Cheers,

Board footer