You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-18 08:12:40

oggerz

Arduino (ATmega328) permission denied.

So I just got a microcontroller and after following through the Arduino archwiki page when I am running into a problem when I try to start the arduino IDE.

I have installed the arduino beta package version 1.5.6_r2-2 (since it's an UNO) from AUR and I have also tried to run the arduino IDE from a nightly build.

In the case of the beta install from AUR when I try to run Arduino from my launcher in Cinnamon nothing happens and when I run arduino from the command line I receive the message

$ arduino
/usr/bin/arduino: line 9: /usr/share/arduino/arduino: Permission denied

This also occurs when running the command with sudo.

Checking the permissions on /usr/share/arduino yields

$ ls -l /usr/share | grep arduino
drwx------   8 root root  4096 Jul 17 15:59 arduino

When trying to run arduino from the folder of the nightly build I just receive a 'Permission denied' message with on extra information and as with the beta install from AUR even as sudo the message repeats itself.

After installed the arduino-beta I did try to use scons and recieved

$ scons
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
ERROR! the given board name, atmega328 is not in the supported board list:
all available board names are:

So scons is reporting no available board names.

I don't know if the scons information helps but I feel at a loss of actionable feedback when I try to run the arduino command so if there is anything else I can do to try and get more information on whatever problem is occurring please let me know so I can track this thing down and fix it.

Thanks.

#2 2014-07-22 11:36:38

will.price94
Website

Re: Arduino (ATmega328) permission denied.

Have you tried changing the permissions on both /usr/share/arduino/arduino and /usr/bin/arduino to 755

sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/arduino/arduino /usr/bin/arduino

Although since you've run it as root and reported errors then this is likely not to work either, but worth fixing them anyway as they should be read/executable by users.

#3 2014-07-22 12:02:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You checked the permissions on the wrong file - you checked the directory:

/usr/share/arduino != /usr/share/arduino/arduino.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2014-07-22 15:11:47

smiszym

I don't think changing permissions in the filesystem is a good idea, since the files were installed with pacman (I suppose) and any upgrade would then be problematic.

It would be better to fix the package. @oggerz, what exactly AUR package did you build? What is the output of the following?

$ pacman -Qo /usr/share/arduino

#5 2014-07-23 19:14:17

The Loko

Have you added your user to uucp and lock groups?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … figuration

Board footer