You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-26 14:32:59

Stephen304

Scroll always zooms accidentally

I can't for the life of me remember what it's called when you scroll really fast and when you stop it keeps sliding for a bit, but it's causing problems whenever I change workspaces using the control button - since control + scroll = zoom, if I just scrolled on a webpage and I don't wait for it to stop sliding before I switch workspaces, it will see the sliding scroll and control button and it will zoom really fast to 500%. And later on I return to the workspace and everything is huge or small.

Is there a way to fix this without disabling the sliding scroll thing altogether?

Last edited by Stephen304 (2014-07-26 14:33:48)

#2 2014-07-26 16:21:33

extremez3r0

Re: Scroll always zooms accidentally

Hi. I have the same problem. But in my case is a HW problem. My Touchpad simulate scroll smoothness in hardware. and every time that I use touchpad to scroll and just after press ctrl ( while touchpad is slowing the scroll) all my pages (firefox) are zoomed. I think that there's no solution for this, once the problem comes from TouchPad and not from my Arch.

#3 2014-07-26 16:41:22

Stephen304

Well I actually figured out what it's called: Coasting. It's an option in synaptics, so it would be possible to fix, but it's probably impractical. You can turn it off by setting:

Option          "CoastingSpeed" "0"

In your synaptics config, though it makes scrolling through long things painful. What synaptics really needs to do is stop coasting if another key is pressed. ie. Only coast if someone "flings" on the trackpad then doesn't touch anything.

Though that might require lots of hacking in synaptics or something.

Edit: This was reported as a bug, but it was closed and marked as a duplicate of another bug where the coasting would cause scroll events after the actual scrolling stopped. That must be a mistake because this problem occurs while the coasting is happening.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76094

I think it just allowed me to reopen the bug, feel free to comment on it with your explanation of the problem, hopefully he will see that it's still an issue and needs to be fixed.

Last edited by Stephen304 (2014-07-26 17:00:21)

#4 2014-07-26 19:01:17

kokoko3k

You really need to understand the Bug id 38909

Edit:
"coasting" itself generates the events, that's why "gestures in the drivers" are bad.
The bug is marked as fixed, i would mark it as "can't fix by now" smile

Last edited by kokoko3k (2014-07-26 19:08:21)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#5 2014-07-26 21:22:16

Stephen304

kokoko3k wrote:

You really need to understand the Bug id 38909

Edit:
"coasting" itself generates the events, that's why "gestures in the drivers" are bad.
The bug is marked as fixed, i would mark it as "can't fix by now" smile

Yes, that's how the coasting works, but coasting should stop creating the events, stopping the coasting, when other events happen.

ie. If you coast, then press ctrl, the coast should stop.

Board footer