You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-29 11:06:35

smudge145

Arch Linux Install Disk Network Connection Problem

Hi guys, I'm trying to install Arch on my desktop PC following the beginners guide.  I can get the live disc to connect to the router via either wifi or ethernet, and it can ping both google and the mirror sites in the mirrorlist.  However, when I try to use pacman, it is unable to resolve the mirrors and times out on every one.  I have tried adding the google DNS servers (which I can also ping successfully) to /etc/resolv.conf but this did not change anything.

How can I fix this?

#2 2014-07-29 22:00:25

smudge145

Re: Arch Linux Install Disk Network Connection Problem

Update: I went through the install process again from scratch, configuring the live disk as follows:
Added to resolv.conf:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
options timeout:2 

Added to the end of dhcpcd.conf:

nohook resolv.conf

This allowed the live disk to download packages via pacman and install Arch.  I was then able to chroot in and install the other packages as instructed in the Beginners guide:

# pacman -S iw wpa_supplicant
# pacman -S dialog
# pacman -S syslinux

On reboot, I applied the same changes as above to the fresh Arch install. I can ping websites (including mirrors), but pacman times out unable to resolve the mirrors. However, booting back into the live disk, setting up the network as above and chrooting lets me use pacman.  Is there something missing from the new install that the live disk uses?

Board footer