You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-30 12:01:16

xanthi

[SOLVED] systemd-udevd using 100% CPU and monitors go to sleep on boot

Hi,

Turned my PC on this morning to find an issue with the monitors going to sleep immediately after booting. The boot process is usually slim autologin to a cinnamon session. I can see as far as entering my LUKS passphrase, followed by a few additional lines, followed by blank monitors and monitors entering power saving mode.

Booting with nomodeset on the kernel command line allows me to boot to a terminal and I can login etc, but obviously X doesn't start. I'm using xf86-video-ati drivers.

When booting with KMS enabled I also have a runaway systemd-udevd process which is thrashing my processor and I'm unable to kill it (I've tried kill -9 and still it persists).

The PC was working fine when I shut it down last night. No updates have been performed since, and no configuration changes have been made. I did notice that the power management dialog in the settings failed to open though.

Any suggestions would be welcome please, as I've now lost half a day trying to get this resolved.

TIA

X.

Edit: I've also tried downgrading xserver to 1.15, xf86-video-ati and the associated dependencies with no change.
Edit2: I've also disabled slim and rebooted and the same thing happens - so I don't believe it's an issue with X but with KMS.
Edit3: Booting with acpi=off on the kernel command line also fails with the same result.

Last edited by xanthi (2014-07-30 13:55:58)

#2 2014-07-30 13:55:43

xanthi

Re: [SOLVED] systemd-udevd using 100% CPU and monitors go to sleep on boot

Turned out to be an issue with libdrm. Apparently I had run some updates yesterday before shutting down, but they didn't appear in pacman.log; instead I found them by looking in the pacman package cache and found:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   110072 Jul 29 22:59 lib32-libdrm-2.4.56-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   160996 Jul 29 22:55 libdrm-2.4.56-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Downgraded [lib32-]libdrm packages to 2.4.54-1, rebooted, and success.

Board footer