You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-20 05:27:10

sigint

[SOLVED] Running skype results in only a blank window showing up.

When I try to run Skype as a separate user, I only get a blank window and nothing happens. I set it up using the instructions found here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sk … ecial_user

I have no idea what could be causing this so I don't know what information/logs/configurations I should post. On another note, running Skype as my normal user works.

Edit: neachdainn's solution fixed it.

Last edited by sigint (2014-08-06 00:04:06)

#2 2014-07-31 19:38:58

neachdainn

Re: [SOLVED] Running skype results in only a blank window showing up.

The problem comes from the xorg-server update. According to the warning after the update, X11 won't run except from the virtual terminal the user logged into... which means that you can't startx access the X server as another user.

The solution that worked for me was to add this line to /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config (create if it doesn't exits):

needs_root_rights=yes

Edit: I noticed the date of your post and the date of the update... I don't know if this is your problem. However, I was having this issue before the update too and this fixed it for me regardless. I'll leave my post because this thread was a result in my searching.

Last edited by neachdainn (2014-08-01 14:58:40)

#3 2014-09-08 21:59:32

manulari

I ran into this after recently updating my system and switching to rootless X.

I'll believe you that switching back to having X run as root fixes it, but it seems weird that it should work like that because I can run other X applications as a different user (then the one running X) and have them show up. (I tried xclock and firefox.) (Also, using xhost to disable access to the server for the separate user makes skype (and other programs) give an error message on the console when run as the separate user instead of displaying an empty window.)
Does anyone know more about what is causing this and if there are other solutions?

#4 2024-03-21 14:02:44

therion

neachdainn wrote:

The problem comes from the xorg-server update. According to the warning after the update, X11 won't run except from the virtual terminal the user logged into... which means that you can't startx access the X server as another user.

The solution that worked for me was to add this line to /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config (create if it doesn't exits):

needs_root_rights=yes

Edit: I noticed the date of your post and the date of the update... I don't know if this is your problem. However, I was having this issue before the update too and this fixed it for me regardless. I'll leave my post because this thread was a result in my searching.

Thanks this helped

Board footer