You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-25 22:02:10

karol
Archivist

How do you post on the forum and edit the wiki?

I'm interested in efficient ways of posting and editing the wiki. Do you know / use any?
I'm currently using firefox + pentadactyl. Pressing Ctrl+i in a text area opens vim

set editor='st -e vim'

and I'm all set :-)

#2 2014-07-25 22:15:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: How do you post on the forum and edit the wiki?

Vimprobable:

{ "vimprobableedit:", "urxvt -title scratchpad -geometry 86x24+40+60 -e vim %s" },

and autotext...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-07-25 22:16:15

Awebb

I use the itsalltext addon for firefox. I would use pentadactyl, but I am not entirely comfortable with using noscript with those commands. Generally, the number of sites it breaks outweights the benefits of the comfort. Err, the addon points to whatever is my default editor on a given system, either vim in xterm or Notepad++ on Windows.

#4 2014-08-03 10:04:59

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Also vim + pentadactyl... For the wiki it is useful to specify the filetype to have syntax highlighting and make vim change cursor position according to the browser. From my .pentadactylrc:

autocmd LocationChange !wiki.archlinux.org,* :set editor&
autocmd LocationChange 'wiki.archlinux.org' :set editor='gvim -f -c "set ft=mediawiki" +<line> +"sil! call cursor(0, <column>)" <file>'

#5 2014-08-03 14:24:08

lolilolicon

Over two years ago, /dev/zero posted this interesting piece: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143444

And this thread got me searching for "vim bbcode", and immediately, something interesting:

Use Markdown Instead Of BBCode With Vimperator

looks like a good idea. Or maybe just use something that makes editing bbcode easier (e.g. vim-surround rule, wait, I'll look that one up.)

... OK I'm done looking it up; here is one:

let g:surround_{char2nr("c")} = "<code>\r</code>"
let g:surround_{char2nr("u")} = "<url\1url: \r..*\r=&\1>\r</url>"

The first one's basic; surrounds the target with code tags with the "c" replacement.
This will prompt for URL and surround the target with proper URL bbcode if you use the "u" replacement.
Combine such rules with autocmd and some bbcode syntax highlighting, it would make life easier with bbcode.
Note I've used '<>' instead of '[]' to not confuse bbcode.

As for the topic question, I use Firefox with pentadactyl in a tabbed container in i3. When I press Ctrl-i in a textarea, a VIM editor opens in a new i3 tab, at full size. This makes editing focused. When I need to look at the original web page, I just switch to the previous i3 tab and take a peek.

Last edited by lolilolicon (2014-08-03 14:48:46)

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#6 2014-08-29 17:28:54

stevendupuis
Website

I've been searching on and off for a few days now looking for some kind of user guide or user manual for FluxBB - how to operate the forum to post messages. I haven't found anything except installation and system config and admin instructions for installing your own copy of the FluxBB software.

I've searched through the Arch Wiki and Arch Forums for this, and the only things that come up are cool technical ways to interface a web browser and trigger VIM editing sessions for doing the actual input of text (among other things).

Is there anything written here or in the wiki on the topic? Am I not using the appropriate key words eg. fluxbb user guide manual instructions ... ? Or do I need the secret handshake? Or am I just simply blind? Please excuse my frustration.

For example: BBCode: on [-url-] tag: on [-img-] tag: on Smilies: on - at the bottom of the text entry box. Where do I find information about these facilities and how to apply them - syntax etc.?

Regards,
Steve Dupuis
Ottawa, Canada

#7 2014-08-29 17:33:13

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Below the editing box, there is a link to https://bbs.archlinux.org/help.php#bbcode

#8 2014-08-29 17:36:15

ewaller
Administrator

Specifically, where you wrote "BBCode: on"   That BBCode is the link smile

BTW, there are some cool ways to integrate emacs if you don't care for vim. tongue

Last edited by ewaller (2014-08-29 17:36:29)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#9 2014-08-29 17:39:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

ewaller wrote:

BTW, there are some cool ways to integrate emacs ...

Really?  I'm sure you could integrate your web browser into emacs.  Even the forums.  Or put the whole internet right into emacs.  But can emacs actually be integrated into something else?! tongue

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2014-08-29 19:05:36

lolilolicon

Trilby wrote:
ewaller wrote:

BTW, there are some cool ways to integrate emacs ...

Really?  I'm sure you could integrate your web browser into emacs.  Even the forums.  Or put the whole internet right into emacs.  But can emacs actually be integrated into something else?! tongue

yes, emacs!

This silver ladybug at line 28...

Board footer