You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-01 21:45:19

shoober420
Banned

[Solved] ASCII Art Error

I'm trying to print the Arch logo from Archie into my terminal when I start it up. I keep getting these errors. I will first show how I'm trying to do this. I put quotes around the whole pyramid and echos on every line. I would also like to make it blue. I use zsh as my shell. I tried to look up the errors, but only came across erros related to programming. So I'm kind of puzzled.

echo                                "+"
echo                                "#"
echo                               "###"
echo                              "#####"
echo                              "######"
echo                             "; #####;"
echo                            "+##.#####"
echo                           "+##########"
echo                          "#############;"
echo                         "###############+"
echo                        "#######   #######"
echo                      ".######;     ;###;``."
echo                     ".#######;     ;#####."
echo                     "#########.   .########`"
echo                    "######'           '######"
echo                   ";####                 ####;"
echo                   "##'                     '##"
echo                  "#'                         `#"

When I launch it with sh, it looks like this.

+
#
###
#####
######
; #####;
+##.#####
+##########
#############;
###############+
#######   #######
.######;     ;###;.
.#######;     ;#####.
test: line 20: $'\necho                    ######           ######\necho
           ': command not found
test: command substitution: line 22: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `
"'
test: command substitution: line 23: syntax error: unexpected end of file
#########.   .##########'                     '###

Last edited by shoober420 (2014-08-01 22:43:39)

#2 2014-08-01 22:01:51

ooo

Re: [Solved] ASCII Art Error

this is the basic stuff you should try to figure out yourself.
learn bash syntax, there's a ` without closing ` that breaks your script.

#3 2014-08-01 22:02:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Paste your .zshrc or whatever file you are trying to include this in...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2014-08-01 22:05:21

headkase

The reason it is all left centered is because your quotation marks in the echo's do not have leading white space.  A typical line should look similar to this:

echo "   *"
echo "  ***"
echo " *****"

Note the leading spaces before any *'s.

#5 2014-08-01 22:13:05

shoober420
Banned

ooo wrote:

learn bash syntax, there's a ` without closing ` that breaks your script.

I googled "bash without closing error" and didn't get anything relevant to what's wrong.

Here is my .zshrc.

# Lines configured by zsh-newuser-install
HISTFILE=~/.histfile
HISTSIZE=1000
SAVEHIST=1000
bindkey -e
# End of lines configured by zsh-newuser-install
# The following lines were added by compinstall
zstyle :compinstall filename '/home/jukilo420_-/.zshrc'

autoload -Uz compinit
compinit
# End of lines added by compinstall

autoload -U colors && colors

alias ls='ls --color=auto'

PROMPT="[%~]%# "
headkase wrote:

The reason it is all left centered is because your quotation marks in the echo's do not have leading white space.

I'll try and re-arrange the quotes and see if that fixes it.

Last edited by shoober420 (2014-08-01 22:15:03)

#6 2014-08-01 22:14:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Jesus wept: do you read anything I post?

jasonwryan wrote:

#7 2014-08-01 22:16:36

shoober420
Banned

jasonwryan wrote:

I already did. I'm trying to include this ASCII art in my .zshrc so it displays everytime I open a terminal.

Last edited by shoober420 (2014-08-01 22:17:03)

#8 2014-08-01 22:18:00

lolilolicon

Man you really need to learn to, you know, try to try to figure things out.
I'll feed you this one time.

cat <<EOF
              +
              #
             ###
            #####
            ######
           ; #####;
          +##.#####
         +##########
        #############;
       ###############+
      #######   #######
    .######;     ;###;\`\`.
   .#######;     ;#####.
   #########.   .########\`
  ######'           '######
 ;####                 ####;
 ##'                     '##
#'                         \`#
EOF

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#9 2014-08-01 22:18:51

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

shoober420 wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

I already did. I'm trying to include this ASCII art in my .zshrc so it displays everytime I open a terminal.

Well, reading your .zshrc, the code isn't in there: so where is it? Do we have to keep guessing or are you going to provide the one piece of information that would allow people here to actually provide a definitive answer, rather than educated guesses?

#10 2014-08-01 22:20:03

shoober420
Banned

jasonwryan wrote:

Well, reading your .zshrc, the code isn't in there: so where is it?

Its in my first post.

#11 2014-08-01 22:31:10

headkase

DoXOrd1.png

Last edited by headkase (2014-08-01 22:31:36)

#12 2014-08-01 22:40:54

shoober420
Banned

lolilolicon wrote:

Man you really need to learn to, you know, try to try to figure things out.
I'll feed you this one time.

Thanks for posting your code lolilolicon. The cat method is way more effective then using echo. You also helped me figure out what was causing the errors. It was these ` symbols. I don't even see them on my keyboard. As a token of my appreciation, I will figure out myself how to color the Arch logo blue, then post it in the Community Contributions.

Last edited by shoober420 (2014-08-01 22:42:17)

#13 2014-08-02 12:21:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

shoober420 wrote:

... then post it in the Community Contributions.

Please don't.

Shoober, you've made a habit of coming up with the absolute worst solution to every "problem" you have encountered, then you share that solution on these forums as if it will be some grand revelation (only to go on to elaborate a problem you are having that is caused by your absurd 'solution'.)  In every case so far there have been very good solutions very clearly written up in the wiki and man pages.  They are not even hard to find - some solutions in the wiki may not come up on the top of search results - but all of yours do!

Read The Freaking Manual
Read The Freaking Wiki

Really ... read them.

Also, read the posts provided by other community members on your threads.

Really ... read them.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-02 12:29:31)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#14 2014-08-02 17:32:03

shoober420
Banned

Trilby wrote:
shoober420 wrote:

... then post it in the Community Contributions.

They are not even hard to find - some solutions in the wiki may not come up on the top of search results - but all of yours do!

Not all have been mentioned in the wiki, especcially my problem with Xorg server. My mouse acceleration conf file was still not loading, and I don't think any of them were except xorg.conf, until I used vt1. There's a wiki on how to correctly do ASCII art? Really? I didn't see it, and neither did google. The wiki also doesn't mention anything about libudev.so.0 missing from Steam. It doesn't have all the answers, especially very technical ones like the question I had with Steam. The wiki says to use the runtime, well I don't have to. I almost have it running without the runtime, just like I did on Debian sid. I just need the libudev0 package. The wiki covers nothing about getting Steam working without the runtime. It says nothing about libudev0. I'm going to have to make a real libudev0 package for the AUR, and not a symlink to libudev1 like whats on there now.

Last edited by shoober420 (2014-08-02 18:18:39)

#15 2014-08-02 19:18:46

ooo

There's a wiki on how to correctly do ASCII art? Really? I didn't see it, and neither did google.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … t_and_Bash
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bash
google "bash tutorial", "bash colors" etc.
you're a smart kid. you should be able to figure it out.

The wiki also doesn't mention anything about libudev.so.0 missing from Steam. It doesn't have all the answers, especially very technical ones like the question I had with Steam. The wiki says to use the runtime, well I don't have to. I almost have it running without the runtime, just like I did on Debian sid. I just need the libudev0 package. The wiki covers nothing about getting Steam working without the runtime. It says nothing about libudev0. I'm going to have to make a real libudev0 package for the AUR, and not a symlink to libudev1 like whats on there now.

arch isn't debian. Just because you did something in debian doesn't mean you should do it in arch. You may break up things real bad if you just blindly copy anything meant for other distributions.
I guess this is what you're looking for: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/st … ve_runtime

Your problem with xorg seems like it could be a genuine technical problem though, possibly due to upgrade to xorg 1.16.
That doesn't mean people in the forums are going to just magically make it better. You need to at least diagnose and try to fix the problem yourself. No-one else is going to do it for you.

Last edited by ooo (2014-08-02 19:50:04)

#16 2014-08-03 03:55:00

shoober420
Banned

ooo wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … t_and_Bash
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bash
google "bash tutorial", "bash colors" etc.
you're a smart kid. you should be able to figure it out.

This only tells you how to to change the colors. There alot more to doing ASCII art then that. For example, when I first tried to do the Arch symbol, it wasn't centered. The Arch wiki doesn't tell you how to center ASCII art. I had to figure out myself, that you need to put the quotes at the beginning of echo, and not around the symbol. The wiki doesn't cover much about doing ASCII art.

ooo wrote:

arch isn't debian. Just because you did something in debian doesn't mean you should do it in arch. You may break up things real bad if you just blindly copy anything meant for other distributions.
I guess this is what you're looking for: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/st … ve_runtime

I'm aware that Arch isn't Debian, but in the end, its all Linux. The libudev0 package isn't Debain specific, it can be used on all distributions. I've already been to the Arch wiki article on Steam, and I used it to help me figure out all the packages that Steam needs to run without the runtime active. The wiki tells you how to start Steam without the runtime, but doesn't go into detail, as to what packages you will need (which would be nice). I may even edit it, and provide all the packages it needs to run without the runtime. I already have a list here. I ran into dependency hell, but I didn't mind, since in the end, I made it out of dependency hell, it just takes time and patience.

Steam needs the libudev0 package, which the AUR only provides a package that just symlinks libudev1 to it. Steam doesn't seem to like this. I ran into the same problem on Debian. I had to actually install the real libudev0 package from the Debain repository for Steam to run without the runtime. I will promise, I'll provide and make a real libudev0 package, and not one that just symlinks libudev1.

Besides that, the wiki doesn't cover this at all. The Arch wiki has useful information, but it doesn't have every answer. You just can't lead someone there if they have a very technical issue. Thats what this forum and community is for. Its to help others who are having very technical issues. Its not a place to put others down, and shut others out.

ooo wrote:

Your problem with xorg seems like it could be a genuine technical problem though, possibly due to upgrade to xorg 1.16.
That doesn't mean people in the forums are going to just magically make it better. You need to at least diagnose and try to fix the problem yourself. No-one else is going to do it for you.

My problem isn't genuine. There were others who had the same issues. No input in Xserver. I talked to at least like five different people with the same issue. Another thing, is I didn't upgrade to 1.16. I started fresh on 1.16. I installed Arch fresh, and it already came with 1.16. No upgrade was involved. Procyon was able to figure out a fix for it. He too, had the same issue. This is for sure a bug in 1.16. If I was the only one, different story. But there were at least five others.

I did try to fix the problem myself. You know how many times I had to hard reboot my machine, because X froze after login? It was a pain. I tried out lots of things. You have no reason to say I didn't do so. In the end, I figured out why its happening. Since Xserver must be started from the same terminal the virutal terminal is going to use, Xserver seems to choose a different one, instead of the one you logged in from. Since I boot Xserver from tty1, I need to set my virtual terminal to 1. Makes complete sense. I figured out why it was happening in the end. Xserver apparently used to choose what it thought was the best virtual terminal to use. How it chose that, I don't know. But with the new behavior of 1.16, it can't be picky and choosy, it must use the same virtual terminal you logged in from, which would be tty1 in my case. Meaning, I must use vt1. Anything else, will leave me stranded after I log into Xserver.

Last edited by shoober420 (2014-08-03 07:55:37)

#17 2014-08-03 10:15:46

dice

shoober420 wrote:

This only tells you how to to change the colors. There alot more to doing ASCII art then that. For example, when I first tried to do the Arch symbol, it wasn't centered. The Arch wiki doesn't tell you how to center ASCII art. I had to figure out myself, that you need to put the quotes at the beginning of echo, and not around the symbol.

Well, putting some spaces in front of an argument is not specific to ASCII-Art. How to quote strings in bash is explained the man page. It should be covered in any good tutorial for bash beginners though. See also
ooo told you would be able to figure this out yourself and you actually did it. So where's the problem?

shoober420 wrote:

The wiki doesn't cover much about doing ASCII art.

[irony]Yes, maybe we should add some information on how to play the guitar? The alsa page would be good because "I want to record some guitar music with a microphone through alsa but the wiki does not explain how to play the guitar" [/irony]

shoober420 wrote:

The wiki tells you how to start Steam without the runtime, but doesn't go into detail, as to what packages you will need (which would be nice).

There are commands to find the missing libraries given in the section about using the native runtime...

shoober420 wrote:

My problem isn't genuine

lol...
I guess you misunderstood something here.. genuine != unique
If english is not your first language you should look that up.

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#18 2014-08-03 10:23:49

emeres

Some people are never wrong. I vote for closing this thread, otherwise a certain attitude will trigger a big s and big hitstorm.

#19 2014-08-03 11:33:28

shoober420
Banned

dice wrote:

Well, putting some spaces in front of an argument is not specific to ASCII-Art.

Unless you want your ASCII art to be misaligned, and off center, it is very important to have whitespace.

dice wrote:

[irony]Yes, maybe we should add some information on how to play the guitar? The alsa page would be good because "I want to record some guitar music with a microphone through alsa but the wiki does not explain how to play the guitar" [/irony]

You totally missed my point. Since the wiki has no information about ASCII art, that makes it more then acceptable to make a thread about it, and meaningless to point people to the wiki when concering a question about it.

dice wrote:

There are commands to find the missing libraries given in the section about using the native runtime...

Yeah, that's how I was able to find all the missing dependencies. Its also, how I was able to come to the conclusion that Steam won't work with a symlinked libudev.so.0 from libudev.so.1, which the wiki says nothing about. I made a thread about this and it gets closed, pointing to a wiki article, that mentions nothing about it.

dice wrote:

I guess you misunderstood something here.. genuine != unique
If english is not your first language you should look that up.

I misunderstood him. Its not a big deal. Maybe you should look up how to be a respectful person, and not insult others. Especially, when "!=" is not proper english what so ever.

Last edited by shoober420 (2014-08-03 11:35:19)

#20 2014-08-03 11:40:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

emeres wrote:

Some people are never wrong. I vote for closing this thread, otherwise a certain attitude will trigger a big s and big hitstorm.

Agreed.  Vote passed.

Closing.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer