You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-03 12:02:16

RichAustin

[SOLVED] USB external drive - permissions

Hi All

I just installed Arch again for the first time in about 4 years - the installation has changed quite a lot but for the better I think. I've got most things sorted out but I can't get my external Toshiba drive to work correctly. I can't create folders, move files etc. I thought I'd try adding the drive to the storage group and give permissions to that group:

sudo chgrp storage /run/media/richard/toshiba
sudo chmod 775 /run/media/richard/toshiba/

Nautilus tells me, via Properties on the drives root node:

Owner: Me
Access: Create and delete files
Group: Storage
Access: Create and delete files
Others: Access Files

This is exactly what I expected but I still can't delete or create folders etc. I thought I may be able to set the permissions of the individual folders like this:

sudo chmod 775 -R /run/media/richard/toshiba/

This doesn't work either. I installed ntfs-3g just in case and had a look around on the Net but am not seeing anything that seems more likely to work than the steps I've already taken. Any ideas please?

Thanks
Richard

BTW: It's great having a real Arch running again, I just haven't had time to set it up for the last few years, I've been using ArchBang etc. instead which isn't the same at all.

Last edited by RichAustin (2014-08-03 12:52:48)

#2 2014-08-03 12:11:58

Buddlespit

Re: [SOLVED] USB external drive - permissions

I ended up changing the ownership of /run/media/'user' to the user, chmod'ed to 750 and haven't had a problem yet.

#3 2014-08-03 12:28:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

RichAustin wrote:

I installed ntfs-3g just in case ...

What do you mean "just in case"?  Does the drive have an ntfs filesystem, or something else?

If it is ntfs, did you remount it after installing ntfs-3g?

Can you post the output of `mount`?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2014-08-03 12:43:08

RichAustin

Hi Trilby

What I meant by "just in case" was that one of the posts I read mentioned ntfs-3g and, since I do have a Windows 8 partition as well, it wasn't going to hurt to install it. The drive auto-mounts when I start Gnome.

The output of 'mount' is:

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1436576k,nr_inodes=359144,mode=755)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=287872k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/sdb1 on /run/media/richard/toshiba type ntfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1,uhelper=udisks2)

EDIT: The Toshiba drive is the last one in the list:

/dev/sdb1 on /run/media/richard/toshiba type ntfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1,uhelper=udisks2)

Richard

Last edited by RichAustin (2014-08-03 12:46:08)

#5 2014-08-03 12:48:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Well that's not just a "just in case" as that is an ntfs filesystem.  So the behavior you observe is expected without ntfs-3g.

Now you've installed it, but changes won't take effect at least until it's remounted*, this is why I asked if you had remounted it.  Have you?

*note: remounting is definitely required after installing ntfs-3g as it provides a new mounting program.  It *may* also require loading kernel modules, in which case if the installed kernel is different from the running kernel (uname -a != pacman -Qi linux) then it would also require a reboot or kexec.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2014-08-03 12:52:32

RichAustin

Hi trilby

I've now rebooted the system, I realise now I should have done that after installing ntfs-3g (thanks for pointing out what should have been blindingly obvious!) and it now works fine.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for being so dumb.
Richard

#7 2014-08-03 12:58:17

RichAustin

Buddlespit wrote:

I ended up changing the ownership of /run/media/'user' to the user, chmod'ed to 750 and haven't had a problem yet.

Buddlespit

I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the idea.

Richard

Board footer